Template Holes - What is your favorite style?

Will all those pics from Chicago, you missed the best one there, #7 Redan

Will all those pics from Chicago, you missed the best one there, #7 Redan

I respect the Redan, but not going to say it's one of my favorites for whatever reason. I kinda go with Army on this one.

I'm a fan of course architecture but admittedly I've only dipped a toe into that rabbit hole.

I can without a doubt say that a Redan is my least favorite hole. Long par 3s that slope front to back can suck a D.

I'm an alps and redan fan. Something about hitting the perfect low shot and seeing the ball roll back to the pin is just so satisfying. Although the original redan is blind, so I suppose I like the templates better!

Redans are my favorite.

I'm an alps and redan fan. Something about hitting the perfect low shot and seeing the ball roll back to the pin is just so satisfying. Although the original redan is blind, so I suppose I like the templates better!
Have played the original Redan a few times and will again this August. North Berwick one of my all time faves.

Generally speaking, I love courses that allow (even encourage) you to play the ball on the ground on your approach shots. I especially like it if the designer has strategically located the entries onto the greens between bunkers, rough, water hazards like creeks, and/or major swales/collection areas in a way that demands that you: 1) put your tee shot (or second shot on Par 5s) in right place on the fairway so it opens up the entry to run the ball in; and 2) offers you a green where you can play the ball in the air if a bunker or other hazard is insurmountable or simply unwise. By that I mean that you may not be able to go for the pin, but can at least you can get the ball on the green somewhere and hope to two-putt. Old MacDonald at Bandon Dunes is the best course I have ever played in this regard. I've hit a lot of 5 irons low and running from 120 to 140 yards to the greens there rather than jack an 8 or 9 iron up in the air and hope it holds. "Golf as it was meant to be" really means something there.

Back