Tenputt’s Handicap Reduction Contest

Hopefully able to get a serious round in this weekend.

To say things havent been a little hectic this past week would be an understatement.

My Hcp lowering plan has been dealt a blow as I had to cancel my golf school in Austin for later this month due to coronavirus risks. I must now rely on my inner zen, hours of practice, and my new irons to help me win this excellent contest.

My Hcp lowering plan has been dealt a blow as I had to cancel my golf school in Austin for later this month due to coronavirus risks. I must now rely on my inner zen, hours of practice, and my new irons to help me win this excellent contest.

You’ve got this!!!

I had a weird round today. 9 holes and hit my wedges dreadfully. Somehow snuck out with a 39. The Speedzone Xtreme is a weapon off the tee.

As of today, my index is at 4.6.

You’re well on your way to sub-4! I plan to update my PC tonight so I can play 18 on the SkyTrak. Looks like that’s as close to a round of golf as I’ll get for a while.

That's awesome! Way to go Craig..

After a few good rounds recently, my index is down from 10.5 to 10.1. Feeling like it might actually be possible to make it to the 7s by the end of the season.

I am moving towards the goal. Index is at 4.4

B74CCF5B-B878-466C-A176-8C2F215E5588.jpeg

Achievement of the goal is in sight. I worked hard on my game over the winter and the work is paying dividends. This is by far the best I have ever played this early in the year.

025C2C9A-3193-4455-B3C8-4638C4C0C288.jpeg

Achievement of the goal is in sight. I worked hard on my game over the winter and the work is paying dividends. This is by far the best I have ever played this early in the year.

Keep it up, you are smashing it!

When you’ve made it, it would be great to hear a review of where you felt the biggest gains were made over the winter.

Keep it up, you are smashing it!

When you’ve made it, it would be great to hear a review of where you felt the biggest gains were made over the winter.

We don’t have to wait until then. What I worked on during the winter was swing path, Changing it from coming so far from the inside. I also worked a lot on disassociating my hips from my torso in my turn, if that makes sense. My ball striking has been much more consistent and my misses have not been as much heel-side.

The other thing that is going on is with my putting. I have moved away from an insert putter and have my eyes more over the ball.

The combination of my ball striking and improved putting is giving me more birdie opportunities and I am cashing in on them better. The last several rounds, I have been seeing multiple birdies, which is the difference in my scoring average.

Thanks for sharing @Tenputt , that’s really useful. That disassociation between hips and torso is something I struggle with too.

Comforting to know that just and few tweaks (AND some hard grind over the winter) can lead to big changes.

That number is falling fast! Well done!

Nice job! Dropping numbers at that level is hard but you are making it look easy. What part of your practice do you think was most beneficial and what part of your game is most improved?

Nice job! Dropping numbers at that level is hard but you are making it look easy. What part of your practice do you think was most beneficial and what part of your game is most improved?

Thanks, Gary. I think the practice that was most beneficial was doing two to three sessions per week on TrackMan, and seeing my club path change. The practice definitely improved my iron and wedge game. Last year, my full swings with wedges were very mediocre. I was not putting myself in realistic birdie putt range nearly as often as should happen with a wedge.

The combination of hitting probably one more green each round and being closer to the pin on my shots with the scoring clubs is what is making the real difference. It has been a long time since I was consistently seeing multiple birdies each round.

Many did not like the change in the handicap system. One fun benefit is daily updates. I have officially reached the goal that I set for myself.

9DF797CB-A4A3-4B5B-B782-F3DC58B107C0.jpeg

Many did not like the change in the handicap system. One fun benefit is daily updates. I have officially reached the goal that I set for myself.

View attachment 8937060

Fantastic! Daily updates is definitely a nice perk for us impatient folk. You reached your goal in April before many of us have managed a casual round! What’s next?!

Fantastic! Daily updates is definitely a nice perk for us impatient folk. You reached your goal in April before many of us have managed a casual round! What’s next?!

Thanks!

What’s next is hopefully to keep it there. I have tended to fluctuate between around 4 and 6.5. I don’t remember being actually below 4. I worked hard over the winter on the areas of weakness in my game. I still have a LOT of room for improvement in my short game, particularly pitches/chips when just off the green. When the practice facilities at courses re-open, this will be my area of focus for practice.

Keep it up tenputt

Why not shoot for... 2.5 next?
Thanks!

What’s next is hopefully to keep it there. I have tended to fluctuate between around 4 and 6.5. I don’t remember being actually below 4. I worked hard over the winter on the areas of weakness in my game. I still have a LOT of room for improvement in my short game, particularly pitches/chips when just off the green. When the practice facilities at courses re-open, this will be my area of focus for practice.

So why not try to fluctuate from say, 2.5 to 5 now? That seems like a reasonable goal.

You're doing great!

Just 1 week ago today eh?! Congrats on reaching your goal!

Great contest Craig! I'm in, although I think it will be just a hard for me to go from an 11.1 to a 7.7 as it will be for you to go from 5.7 to a sub 4. 30% is a huge drop! But the good news is I was already working on my off season (if I even have one if those) plan for breaking into single digits, so this just gives me another reason.

View attachment 8912050

Moving a little closer. But since Craig already has this thing wrapped up, what's the point anymore?!!? Oh yeah, playing better golf. :love:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200609-142643.jpg
    Screenshot_20200609-142643.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 13
Back