That's what I like about....golf

You know.. I think about this alot, especially as I have gotten older.. And I would say the way that I look at it as I have gotten older has changed.

There is nothing better for me than waking up early and feeling the anticipation while driving getting to the course on a beautiful summer morning. Arriving at the course, seeing the holes while pulling in, figuring how I might play them and not being able to wait to play! Then getting to the putting green or range, the rising sun just peaking out over the horizon and shining on my face, dew on the grass, my son and my other golfing crew talking jovially to each other while warming up. From there, getting called to the tee box, and the adrenaline, even to this day, flows just a bit more, and my thoughts kind of mutate to include the task at hand. Still, between those shots, still feeling the warmth of the sun, the smell of the cut grass, hearing the geese on the pond , and knowing on top of all this a great wife and family is waiting... Then you realize the sheer joy of being able to play this game, and you can't help but smile - even with that ball you just hit into the pond!

I try my best to convey this to my son - he is 15, he just started playing last year, yet expects to play like Rickie Fowler, and he will hit a couple bad shots and sulk. But I know he won't take all this in now, just like I didn't when I was his age. I guess it takes taking the path you did to this point to realize just how great this game - and your life - is..

When I play with others, it's the easy comradarie - kidding around, chatting about this or that and, for me, the guidance I receive from more experienced friends I learn the game.

When playing alone, it's the solitude, the sounds and sights of nature all around me and the opportunity to practice what I learn without the pressure of holding others up.

What I like most about golf is the feeling of pure satisfaction you get when you achieve things that have always eluded you. Your first ace/albatross/eagle/birdie/par. Your first 250/300/350 yard drive. Breaking 100/90/80/70/60. Conquering your nemesis hole. Winning a tournament. The list goes on and on.

My most recent moment of this sort happened in my second-last round played last year. I managed to par a par-5 hole that always kicks my butt and puts 10/11/12 on the scorecard. It was an incredible feeling, and I'm still feeling just a bit giddy about it.

Let's put it this way, there's nothing I DON'T like about golf.

I don't care how quickly I can play, don't care how slow i have to play.

Don't care if the beer cart is slow coming around.

Don't care if i lose my ball, don't care how long i have to hunt for my partners ball.

Don't care if it's hot, cold, raining, windy, snowing, foggy, bugs, or bad partners.

Don't care if the greens are fast or slow, tee box is shaggy or short, fairways are hard or soft.

Don't care if it's steaks or hot dogs in the clubhouse.

I wouldn't care if i had to play with a semi-round stone

and a wooden stick...............I LOVE GOLF !! and everything about it.

Clearing my mind. That's what I like about golf.

Its my escape, good or bad, its an escape and a way to gain my peace of mind and almost meditate. Its why I walk so much and play a lot of rounds alone. Its just me, the course, and the ball. I love that.

I agree 100%. That and the difficulty, nobody completely masters it.........

Those two to three shots I get each round that are absolutely perfect.

That and I love equipment.

I love the fact that it's always different, every shot, every hole. It's challenging and you compete with yourself, and sometimes others. It's physical but it's the mental game that makes you score. You get to spend time with fun people. You hit the perfect shot, that you'll remember longer that many other things in life. It's not only a game. It's perfection inside everyone of us.

I like that every day is a different challenge. Even if you play the same course, conditions are different, you are different. I also like the challenge of scoring when I don't have my "A" or even "B" game. Some of my favorite rounds are breaking 80 when I don't feel I'm hitting the ball well at all.

Green views, beautiful panorama, golf addictions, ho'ing golf stuffs, peaceful feeling, ...... thats all about it.

The title is simple and to the point. What do like about golf? Is it the constant growth? Is it the new equipment every year? The competition? What is it that keeps you coming back?

For me it is primarily 3 things...

Golf Teaches me about myself, how I handle situations, good and bad...It exposes my character that needs work...

I treasure playing with friends and the competition, but at the end of the day, the competition is with myself...can I execute when needed, can I eliminate the thoughts, issues, and urgencies and focus in teh moment to do what needs to be done...

Golf is the embodiment of a Life Proverb for me...As Iron sharpens Iron, so one person sharpens another (Proverbs 27:17)

For me it is primarily 3 things...

Golf Teaches me about myself, how I handle situations, good and bad...It exposes my character that needs work...

I treasure playing with friends and the competition, but at the end of the day, the competition is with myself...can I execute when needed, can I eliminate the thoughts, issues, and urgencies and focus in teh moment to do what needs to be done...

Golf is the embodiment of a Life Proverb for me...As Iron sharpens Iron, so one person sharpens another (Proverbs 27:17)

Exactly, I like you wisdom of golf.

Zombie thread, but I'll play.

- it's a game of tools
- every hole is different, a new challenge, not the same box every time, new courses to try, an adventure
- no dudes grappling, not macho, no chest bumps
- I can play alone if I choose
- it's a walking game, the best exercise for humans
- it's really hard, takes a lot of work to learn
- I can smoke a cigar, and drink a beer while playing
- I'm always thinking of new reasons why I like the game

I think its the challenge of the game itself. I don't mean the competition against others. I think by nature golf is a self challenge to improve and try to always do well at. And no matter how well you play, you technically can always play better. There is imo an addiction in this sense.

Then there is also the natural beauty of being out on the nice looking and peaceful golf course which is an attraction as well.

Then there is also the feeling that when your on the golf course its like your treating yourself to something nice to do.

In the end its simply a really nice choice of recreation to do.

In order of importance:
1. Having a pastime that gets me away from life temporarily.
2. Exercise
3. Buddies
4. The game itself
5. The pursuit of being better. I may not be good at this game, but I also definitely do not suck. :)

Back