The 2009 Masters Thread [spoilers]

Just thought I would say that one of the ways Cabrerra got in was:

17. The 50 leaders on the Final Official World Golf Ranking for 2008

Maybe The Masters needs to change that to only include Americans.

No, just a "No Sergio" clause would work for me.

That would work for me AJ!

No worries, I love international golf and I would never impose anyone to speak English just encourage that they make an effort if they are going to be spending a lot of time here.

I finally saw Sergio's interview last night. If there was any doubt left before, there isn't now" Sergio is a whiny little b!tch.

He was asked what he thought of the course and he said (to the best of my recollection, "To tell the truth, I didn't like it. I didn't like it at all. It wasn't fair. On a day with no rain, you get a mudball in the middle of the fairway. [The course is] too tricky."

When the interviewer asked him what Augusta could do to make it better, Sergio huffed and said "I don't care. I don't care. I'm going to come here, play and go home."

They then immediately show an interview with Padraig Harrington, who had clearly been asked what he thought of Sergio's comments, and Harrington said "That baffles me." He then went on to say that the course was in immaculate condition and that he thought it was great that Augusta had the course in a shape where they could set it up hard or for scoring depending on what they wanted for the day.

As a side note, Brandle Chamblee continues to impress me as an announcer and analyst. I don't know what he changed in the last year, if anything, but I think his comments are some of the most well thought out and articulate of anyone on TGC both on and off the course. And he doesn't need 5 minutes to make his point. He's in and out with 2 or 3 sentences.

EDIT: Grogger found the youtube video of Sergio's comments:

[YOUTUBE]b83WAQsZkWQ[/YOUTUBE]

Grogger found the video of this and made a new thread about it.

Wow Sergio really is transparent and immature.

AJ -- you're right, I did stir the pot. Probably should have said I disagree and left it at that. I also misunderstood your point -- big difference between saying someone should not be permitted to play and someone should make an effort to speak the host country language. That said, given Cabrera's background, it's not likely he had the educational opportunities growing up that the affluent country club types who usually are more likely to make it to the pga would have had to learn English while growing up. (I certainly don't see it as a sign of respect that Sergio speaks fine English, for example.)

Your right on that, I don't think he had the chance in Argentina that a lot of these other European players would have.

THIS IS IMPORTANT

Is it just me, but if anyone has a recording of Tigers final hole I would like to see it somehow. I swear I saw Tiger double tap his putt in on the final hole. Exactly like the one player who adressed the ball, but touched it and moved it, causing one stroke, then putting the ball in with another stroke.

I had to watch via TIVO late in to the night due to Easter with the family, but I'll say this... IMHO, That had potential to be one of the best Masters I have ever seen, but fell short once Phil and Tiger were out of it.

Doesn't anyone think it's awesome that Cabrera's only two PGA wins are Majors?

Sort of Andy North-like. But he has plenty of wins around the world.

I had to watch via TIVO late in to the night due to Easter with the family, but I'll say this... IMHO, That had potential to be one of the best Masters I have ever seen, but fell short once Phil and Tiger were out of it.

It was fun to watch them "scare" everyone though.

Your right on that, I don't think he had the chance in Argentina that a lot of these other European players would have.

That's certainly true. I also get the feeling that he understands English pretty well, but is probably fairly nervous about speaking it on television. Didn't he answer Nantz's first question without the interpreter?

That's certainly true. I also get the feeling that he understands English pretty well, but is probably fairly nervous about speaking it on television. Didn't he answer Nantz's first question without the interpreter?

Nadal is similar, but he is getting a lot better.

How good is Jimenez's english? Is Camilo's all that good? Does Shingo speak any English? Who would administer the test?

Camilo's is fine. But he spent four years at the University of Florida. Cabrera never had any offers like that.

Yeah Camillo has a thick accent but there is nothing wrong with his English. Camillo is a gator :D DO I get brownie points with GG for acknowledging that?

Rocco is just as nice as he appears. Perry just had this "Don't you know who I am and that I am more important than you" attitude.

That's just pathetic. These guys all need to remember that none of us are going to quit playing golf if the tour cuts purses by 50%, but these guys will be playing for considerably less money if we quit watching tournaments and buying equipment that they endorse.

I'm watching the "Amen Corner" feed that I recorded yesterday. They just showed Justin Rose's approach shot at 11, which he pulled. As the ball was in the air, Rose was quietly saying "cutyournutsoff,cutyournutsoff,cutyournutsoff ... cut.your.nuts.off!"

and then the ball went in the water.

Mickleson's round was setting up to be one of the best ever at Augusta. The front is where you aren't supposed to score. You are supposed to survive the front and score on the back. If the "Weiskopf" at 12 hadn't broken him mentally, we could have seen some records fall. That is what I love about the course, the scoring holes are predicated by the three toughest holes, big mental games in play there.

Back