The 2019 THP Bridgestone Championship Travel and Extra Rounds Thread

Planning to drive up Thrs night after work so I’m in for dinner/drinks but not golf on Thrs.

Friday morning I’m definitely in for golf.

Play Thursday, you won’t regret it

Play Thursday, you won’t regret it

Haha. Oh I know. I just don’t think I can get out of work in all honestly.

Good evening Gents,

As of Monday, we're 30 days out from the beginning of the extended trip (July 11). Curious to know who would like to play, when and where. Please share your thoughts.

Thursday, July 11
- start around 2:00?
- Cleveland area?

Friday, July 12
- Early start
- Need to finish by 3:30
- Firestone North?...if we could get on

Definitely not getting on. It’s totally private and CLOSED during the tour event. Thus proving how exclusive of an event this is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am in for any pre-event rounds. Get in to Cleveland Thursday around 11:30

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Definitely not getting on. It’s totally private and CLOSED during the tour event. Thus proving how exclusive of an event this is

I definitely would like to hear your thoughts on where best to play Thursday and Friday. You know the area and courses very well. I’ve done most of my golfing from Mansfield south through Columbus so even though I’m pretty local I don’t have a great handle on what would be best.

I’m in for both days, wherever. Let’s go for it! Following the Taylormade event and others tells me the more fun we have with each other the better the event, I’m all in.

Yup! I can’t fully commit to Thursday yet, I’m about a 99.9% though but for sure in for anything Friday.

I haven’t seen an event yet where I thought “wow, that doesn’t look fun”. Exact opposite at every single one of them. Just guys that love golf loving golf and the fun set out for them. Even when it was like 115* out at last years THP Championship (I think) when one of the guys went down, which was scary, it still looked like those dehydrated fellas were enjoying the hell out of it!

I certainly down for a Friday morning round. I think finishing later than 2 is probably a bad idea as we are all going to need to shower and get ready for the evenings festivities. Thursday is up in the air until we get closer as I may have some commitments that take me away for the day.

Again I’m happy to try and host Friday morning at my club which is basically 10min away from the hotel many guys are staying at that Thursday anyways. Or somewhere else.....whatevs

Can most likely play Friday Morning at Sleepy Hollow which is public nearby or Chippewa or Shale Creek also close by and good public courses withing 20 mins of Akron. Goodpark is closer depending on course quality.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Can most likely play Friday Morning at Sleepy Hollow which is public nearby or Chippewa or Shale Creek also close by and good public courses withing 20 mins of Akron. Goodpark is closer depending on course quality.

I'd vote shale from that list.

No love for Sleepy and Chippewa?

Both are "ok" for people coming out of town to tee it up I'd do something a notch up like a shale etc

I’ve heard good things about Shale. That gets my vote

Both are "ok" for people coming out of town to tee it up I'd do something a notch up like a shale etc

I'm a fan of "notch up". If I traveling, then good golf is part of the deal. :D

Interesting take and agree. I play Shale often. They do a great job on it no doubt and club house is much nicer. Sleepy has challenging greens (league course). Chippewa would be #2 and goodpark way down the list but didn't know if people were concerned with drive time.

Interesting take and agree. I play Shale often. They do a great job on it no doubt and club house is much nicer. Sleepy has challenging greens (league course). Chippewa would be #2 and goodpark way down the list but didn't know if people were concerned with drive time.

Just flipped through golf digest and sleepy was featured in ad and on top 10 ohio places to play for public.could be pay for mention.

No love for Sleepy and Chippewa?

Not exactly close proximity to Akron either....sleepy is nice ish if you like to punish yourself to go golfing lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If memory serves me right there are numerous guys staying at the hotel in Medina as it is. So both of those courses are in Medina, so is shale creek

Not exactly close proximity to Akron either....sleepy is nice ish if you like to punish yourself to go golfing lol

I'll happily pass as I punish myself every Thursday evening in those greens. What rates are fox and weymouth out of curiousity. Obviously those follow the rules and motto of the weekend "kick it up a notch" ! Sorry could only suggest public places as no club membership....yet

I'll happily pass as I punish myself every Thursday evening in those greens. What rates are fox and weymouth out of curiousity. Obviously those follow the rules and motto of the weekend "kick it up a notch" ! Sorry could only suggest public places as no club membership....yet

No worries and it makes no difference to me. Guessing right around $75

I’m good with any of those choices. Shale Creek (played 18), Fox Meadow (played 9) and Weymouth (played 1, lol) are all top notch courses.

Hey Roomie, where are we staying again? And did you book the same room all three nights or did you book the first night (Thursday) in Medina before moving to the Akron Hotel?

Closing in on the 3 week mark. We should probably lock something in for our Friday round. If Paul can get us on at Weymouth, I think that would be a great option. I'll happily play just about anywhere though, I just don't want to wait too long and miss out on playing something nice.

Closing in on the 3 week mark. We should probably lock something in for our Friday round. If Paul can get us on at Weymouth, I think that would be a great option. I'll happily play just about anywhere though, I just don't want to wait too long and miss out on playing something nice.

I agree. I was stoked about playing Weymouth the only chance I had. It was late spring last year and another horrid spring for golf here. I get there and the course wasn’t even open. I’d called the day before and they told me I could play so I just went ahead and headed to the first tee once I found the pro-shop closed. At least I think it was the first tee? I’m still not 100% on that. There were no markers out or anything.

I took about three practice swings and cold topped one 30ft in front of me. Re-teed and hit an OK drive, and realized I had a shot into a temp green. Hit too much club and dang near hit the real green behind it, and even rolled onto the real green. I left a good ball there (when I’d called the day before they told me to stay off the real greens-I listened) and looked around for the next tee box, realized it could be one of several places and even then realized I could be hitting the wrong way. Called it a day and headed back to my car.

Looked like a really nice course but playing a course without the benefit of local knowledge when the tees weren’t even set up yet, and no scorecard in your pocket, you just have no clue where the hell to go. Didn’t think I’d have much fun doing that so I left.

So if Friday AM leads us to Weymouth, oh yeah! If those coming in Thursday want to play (IIRC PKorf isn’t so we lose Weymouth and Fox) let me know and I can do the legwork setting it up. Shale Creek is fantastic for a public course. I only played there once, this spring in PKorf’s spring Ohio Unofficial thing but it’s one of the top 5-10 courses I’ve ever played. You won’t lose much in way of conditions from a country club setting.

So let’s figure out what we want to do Thursday. I’ll take the bull by the horns if y’all want and set something up that day. I’m local enough that I can if needed. I think my roomie is coming in Thursday. I can set up plans for then if needed before gladly handing the reigns over to someone more qualified for Friday. I don’t have any connections to play high end Country Clubs (or even low end Country Clubs, lol) but I know Shale Creek is stellar and I know a couple other in the general area that are very good.

I can get as many of us and others out on Weymouth or fox on Friday.....no problem what so ever

Back