The 60 and over Thread

I played 9 today and hit exactly one decent shot. This is the first week that I have tried more strenuous exercise at home. Either my body is breaking down or adjusting to the additional activity, but I felt terrible.

If this keeps up I may have to take a few weeks off from playing.

This picture sums up my day.
6934a340e3928e964b778dde436467b1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My first iron is a six, I'm thinking of going back to a 2,3,4,5 hybrid. Now I'm hitting a 4, 7 fw and a 4h. Can't seem to get much distance with the 7 fw. Have to buy a 3 and 5 hybrid, already have 2 and 4 hybrid. I hit my 2 about 210, same distance I hit my 4 fw. But that has changed since back problems. I think I can hit my 2 210, 3 200, 4 190, 5 180.

I have been playing golf for over 61 years and didn't start at 5 y/o. I learned the game with wooden headed woods and what we call blades now. Now the irons are huge with big offsets and I cannot play well with these. I am thinking of getting a small set of MBs with a couple hybrids and see how I do with those. The balance/weighting of game improvement irons is horrible for me. The last time I was measured for clubs I hit the 110 shafts better than ones below 100 grams. The last set I liked and hit well were MP-59s with TT shafts. I am very inconsistent with 716 graphite AP2s but am spot on with my wedges.

I played 9 today and hit exactly one decent shot. This is the first week that I have tried more strenuous exercise at home. Either my body is breaking down or adjusting to the additional activity, but I felt terrible.

If this keeps up I may have to take a few weeks off from playing.

This picture sums up my day.
6934a340e3928e964b778dde436467b1.jpg

I hear you. Whenever I start stretching and try other exercises, it causes more pain. I am trying to stick with it. Having a bad back lately makes life and golf difficult.

Sometimes I think the better one gets the less enjoyable golf can be as one expects to play well all the time.
Naw, playing at a high level is a lot of fun. Even on a bad day you hit plenty of good shots. Everybody has good and bad days. The only difference is that when a low HC player has a bad day you can’t complain. No one wants to hear someone complain about a round that’s better than their PB.

In my late sixties. Play a course that has multiple tees. 5 of them. The black tees are the shortest and that's where you will find some senior golfers like me. Have a 200 yard par four. Great to play since I hit the ball about 165 yards off the tee. Beats playing all day hitting long hybrids for approach shots. Not embarrassed in the least. It is what it is ... course is in great shape and I love to play it from time to time. It's good to be alive ...

Good golfing ...

Just the contrary for me. I don’t want to see anyone have a bad day, but reading about it happening to a low capper shows how difficult the game can be for almost everyone.
I appreciate JonMA1, really I do. In my experience this reaction is very much the exception.

Next Monday I start physical therapy on my broken arm. Not sure how long this will take to get back to golfing. Also had a MRI on my neck to determine why I'm having continuing pain in it.

My first iron is a six, I'm thinking of going back to a 2,3,4,5 hybrid. Now I'm hitting a 4, 7 fw and a 4h. Can't seem to get much distance with the 7 fw. Have to buy a 3 and 5 hybrid, already have 2 and 4 hybrid. I hit my 2 about 210, same distance I hit my 4 fw. But that has changed since back problems. I think I can hit my 2 210, 3 200, 4 190, 5 180.

The same with me. My first was the 2 because I couldn't get the 2 iron up off the ground enough and was losing distance. Eventually that phenomenon crept through the 3, then 4, and finally the 5.

On the subject of graphite shafts in irons, a couple years ago my buddy shows up with a new set of Wilson Staff graphite shafted irons in his bag. And man, he was hitting the living crap out of them! 3 rounds later he has his old Callaways back! I asked him what happened, and he said they were too light, and he couldn't feel the clubhead! I said so what?! They were out performing his old irons both in accuracy and distance! Next round the Wilsons were back!

Last edited:
I know what you mean Abe, my game has degraded a lot also. Grand chrildren were at top of list, but are now replaced by great grand children. I can't practice much because of my back, but have listened to golfers on this forum. Working on strenghting core body muscles. Hopefully that will give me more chances to practice. As for your league , they have to give you strokes or let you play from the gold tees. That's the guide line on most leagues, 65 gold tees, 75 red tees. Enjoy golf and grand chrildren..

I know what you mean Abe, my game has degraded a lot also. Grand chrildren were at top of list, but are now replaced by great grand children. I can't practice much because of my back, but have listened to golfers on this forum. Working on strenghting core body muscles. Hopefully that will give me more chances to practice. As for your league , they have to give you strokes or let you play from the gold tees. That's the guide line on most leagues, 65 gold tees, 75 red tees. Enjoy golf and grand chrildren..
Just a quick tip so we're communicating. There is no national standard for tee colors. Where I live the tips are commonly gold, black, or blue depending on the course. Tees one up or two up from the tips are even more scrambled colorwise. So, it makes it more clear if you refer to the tees relative to the tips.

I played 18 yesterday. I dislocated my left knee on the first tee. I soldiered on. It went back in somewhere on the back 9 but it was sore as hell. I could hardly bend it. Oh, I had one of my best days off the tee. Unfortunately I played one of my worst rounds of the year.

That sounds like a plan. I never had much luck with hybrids, and never could figure out why. I mainly hit a lot of low pull hooks with them.

Just the contrary for me. I don’t want to see anyone have a bad day, but reading about it happening to a low capper shows how difficult the game can be for almost everyone.
And, not just the low HI. Spieth struggled for more than a year, and look at Hunter Mahan and Smiley Kaufman just to name two. I recently watch Justin Thomas top a fairway wood that went about 30 yards, and McIlroy miss a 12 inch putt. I used to get upset when I hit a bad shot, but frankly I am not good enough to get angry over a poor shot. I try to simply accept what golf gives me on any given day and leave it at that.

And, not just the low HI. Spieth struggled for more than a year, and look at Hunter Mahan and Smiley Kaufman just to name two. I recently watch Justin Thomas top a fairway wood that went about 30 yards, and McIlroy miss a 12 inch putt. I used to get upset when I hit a bad shot, but frankly I am not good enough to get angry over a poor shot. I try to simply accept what golf gives me on any given day and leave it at that.
They don’t often show them on TV, but the pros will hit terrible shots on occasions. The difference is they’re so damned good at recovering.

I get what you’re saying though. “Bad” golf is relative to what you’re used to but it seem as though no one is immune from it. I have not yet learned how to be ok with it.

They don’t often show them on TV, but the pros will hit terrible shots on occasions. The difference is they’re so damned good at recovering.

I get what you’re saying though. “Bad” golf is relative to what you’re used to but it seem as though no one is immune from it. I have not yet learned how to be ok with it.
I was having a bad round yesterday. I was getting frustrated as I was playing no where near my ability, but I just told myself to relax, enjoy being outside and socializing, and to keep grinding. I ended up making par on the last four holes. Literally taking it one shot at a time.

I used to get upset when I hit a bad shot, but frankly I am not good enough to get angry over a poor shot. I try to simply accept what golf gives me on any given day and leave it at that.
I wish I could adopt your attitude! I get really angry with myself over a bad shot. I know I'm too demanding of myself. At least I don't let it carry over to the next shot - usually! :LOL:

I wish I could adopt your attitude! I get really angry with myself over a bad shot. I know I'm too demanding of myself. At least I don't let it carry over to the next shot - usually! :LOL:

I am still trying to adopt this attitude. Though I know I am not that good I still get mad at myself and end up giving up on a hole that I could possibly salvage.

Over 60 and lack patience.

Was at the range today, and a case of the skanks had been brewing and it was a full-blown infection today.

I have this bad habit but I wanted someone to look since I'm not going to my instructor until next week.

One of the guys at the range played college golf and teaches kids. I said, "I'll paypal you $20 to give me a quick look."

Problem solved. Hands by right pocket on backswing and keep on taking it inside to the top. It was worth the $20.

I still get mad at myself and end up giving up on a hole that I could possibly salvage.
Never give up on a hole! I don't know how many times I've hit a terrible shot off the tee, had to just somehow get the ball back in play, then eitehr hit a really good approach or made a good sized putt to save par.

Problem solved. Hands by right pocket on backswing and keep on taking it inside to the top. It was worth the $20.
Is this just a short term fix for the shanks or something you are incorporating into your swing full time?

Back