The 60 and over Thread

So I made big changes recently to completely “seniorize” my bag….
1.I got fitted for a driver, and after a lot of trial and error, went with the Ping 425 Max with a Distanza shaft. Things being the way they are with Ping right now, it’s going to be at least 6 more weeks before I get it, but every time I compare it on a monitor with another senior flex driver, I get 20+ more yards with the 425, so I’ll just be patient. 🙄
2. Next was taking my once beloved regular flex 3 hybrid out of the bag and replacing it with a 5 wood. The jury is still out on this one.
3. Replaced my old 4 hybrid with a 20* Super Hybrid (I play it at 21*) with a Recoil F2 shaft i got for a great price in new condition on CPO. I’m hoping to find a 5 hybrid that I don’t spin off the planet, but my 5 iron is working fine.
4. I was very fortunate to find a new set of senior flex Rogue X irons on Amazon. I loved these things in regular flex, and was foolish to sell them for a set of 0211’s last year. My game suffered for it, big time.
5. Finally, my wedges. I’ve played 52*, 58* Vokeys for years but now that I’m in senior flex, I don’t see the sense in playing DG S200 steel anymore, so I ordered two Mack Daddy CB wedges 50 & 56* with the same Synergy graphite shafts I have in my irons. They should arrive tomorrow, so I’ll be able to try them out before league play on Saturday.

I’m pondering mallet a putter… if Odyssey made a LH Rossie I’d have bought it already, but they don’t, so I’m thinking about a PXG Bat Attack or Seemore Mini Giant. Both are a little pricey to buy without rolling though.

Last edited:
I triied Desmond's tip, look at front of ball instead of the back. It works, hit some good shots today. Played about bogey golf, which is where I usually am. Lost conecentration on nine and game went south, need to work with this for a few rounds. Thanks again Desmond.

I triied Desmond's tip, look at front of ball instead of the back. It works, hit some good shots today. Played about bogey golf, which is where I usually am. Lost conecentration on nine and game went south, need to work with this for a few rounds. Thanks again Desmond.
Is this with irons and driver or just driver ???

Unsure what @bruceh1943 or @Desmond do but I focus on the front of the ball for every shot except driver off the tee, greenside bunker explosions, and putts.

I would think you do this with just about every club but the driver since even with fairway woods you want to be, even if slightly, hitting down on the ball. Whereas with the driver, unless you are a pro, you want to be hitting up on the ball. I don't know if focusing in front of the ball would work as well in that case.

Unsure what @bruceh1943 or @Desmond do but I focus on the front of the ball for every shot except driver off the tee, greenside bunker explosions, and putts.

Focus on your line right in front of the ball on a putt. Takes out the "hit" and removes "ball focus," helps alleviate nerves for some golfers.

I also am doing the same for iron and wedge shots - looking in front of ball - seeing what works to become less "ball focused," more target focused.

Played a course in Waterville Valley, NH. A nine hole course with four par 4's and five par 3's. I took seven clubs and walked and carried my bag. We walked to the course from my BIL's place. Tiniest greens I have ever seen. Here is a view from the 5th hole:

IMG_3208.JPG

As Desmond said Irons and wedges , won't work on driver.

As Desmond said Irons and wedges , won't work on driver.

On driver, I focus on visualizing shape and height; and look at the back of the ball as I attempt to hit "up" on the ball - contact arrives after the low point of the swing.

I've taken two weeks off and jumped right into strength training with my legs. It's not like I haven't had this problem before. It happened once when I was 29. My left knee locked up. The sports doctor gave me a bunch of exercises to do. I broke out those at the gym and after a few days of soreness, the pain has subsided. It's a lot easier to get around. My knees don't hurt as much. Muscle tone is more important as we age.

So Thursday I'll go to the driving range and hit a small bucket or maybe I'll just play 9 holes. I haven't decided.

This thread about focusing on the front of the ball... I've been doing that for years. I watched a video from Ali Taylor Golf and he said to focus an inch or two in front of the ball. Basically not to look at the ball because that's where you want your low point to be with your irons and even your FW.

Ok here we go. Love the thread. Will be 67 in September. Back to golf after an 18 year break just a few months ago. Formerly a 15-17 HC bu just as likely to shoot 102 as 80 and really didn’t feel different back then. Tried lessons but did t stick. Had an ace the year I quit but just got burned out trying to juggle the long rounds with family and kids.

One new twist is that at about the time I quit I began to lose BOTH calf muscles and now they are both 100% gone. Thirteen docs and two trips to Mayo and no diagnosis but health very good otherwise. Can’t walk the course and can’t push off with toes at all but still bicycle ~2,000 miles a year. So, obviously some mobility issues.

First two rounds back included one 9 at 50 and one at 48. Lots of big misses and penalties but still finished just a little over 100 each time.

Family surprised me with a new et of Callaway Mavrik Max irons (4-AW, regular steel shafts) and a Mavrik Max driver. I added two TM Sim2 fairway woods (3&5) after playing them in my 1st round. Putting is part of what drove me from the game in the past and it’s a whole ‘nother discussion for another time.

Ball striking at the range is solid but a little erratic on direction. I think I’ll be a smarter golfer, more in tune with course management and less risk than when I was young. Able to knock my drives out to ~240-250 when I catch it good. 5 wood, 200 and 3 wood 220. Looking at options for lessons. Took a first one and it was ok but it ended with “try it for a few weeks and let me know”. Think I need more consistent help.

Back in the day I used a couple of Adams Tight Lies fairway woods, including a 7 which I used to hit well. Have never hit a hybrid.

Have been looking at fittings a little. I do think that getting the lie/loft checked makes sense for the irons and also checking the setup on the driver. What does the group think about whether graphite shafts make sense now or later? Also, I’m spending more time on the range than on the course so far but am working on the short game as well.

Haven’t started thinking about which tees to play yet but need to.

Appreciate any and all comments!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Welcome back to the game, fitting is always a good idea. Lessons with a good instructor will also help, sounds like you have good clubs. Good luck with your game, big thing is to enjoy the game.

I played 9 yesterday, and though I felt good about my ball striking my score was the same as usual. Hopefully if I focus on my ball striking and decision making better scores will be the result.

Today was session 2 of my SuperSpeed training. Hopefully I will begin to start seeing some distance gains.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There are all sorts of videos out there on how us seniors can gain back some of our lost distance. I just ran across this one by Eric Cogorno (My Best Advice For Senior Golfers | Create Speed With Your Arms - YouTube ) yesterday afternoon and it makes a lot more sense than a lot of others I have seen. After all, distance come from speed and as we get older the more difficult it is to do using the body.

JIMC
Definitely go with graphite shafts eventually. They are easier on the arms and hands than steel due to less vibration and weight. Your will be able to play and hit balls more than with steel. Since you have new steel shaft irons you may want to look at Callaway Preowned for a slightly used or like new irons to save.
As far as practicing I do much of it on the course and not keep score. If no one is behind you hit two balls from same spot. This is more like real world than the range.
Have fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are all sorts of videos out there on how us seniors can gain back some of our lost distance. I just ran across this one by Eric Cogorno (My Best Advice For Senior Golfers | Create Speed With Your Arms - YouTube ) yesterday afternoon and it makes a lot more sense than a lot of others I have seen. After all, distance come from speed and as we get older the more difficult it is to do using the body.

Good video, thanks for the link. I bought Cogorno's "Golf Swing for Seniors" masterclass in early June and have been working to implement what he teaches in it ever since. I am definitely seeing improvement in ball striking and thus distance resulting from this instruction. Looking forward to adding the drills in the arm speed video into the mix.

Good video, thanks for the link. I bought Cogorno's "Golf Swing for Seniors" masterclass in early June and have been working to implement what he teaches in it ever since. I am definitely seeing improvement in ball striking and thus distance resulting from this instruction. Looking forward to adding the drills in the arm speed video into the mix.
I went to the range this morning, primarily to see if I could dial in my new driver. I also wanted to try this hand and arm speed thing with the irons as, for some reason, my iron play, which had always been my strength, has become my biggest liability. Unfortunately, the range was set up to play off mats and I hate hitting off mats! Even so, I did take at least a few swings with this concept in mind and, as in the video, I did hit them with a draw but distance was great and it almost seemed effortless! Now I just need to take this to the course.

The best advice I received as a senior golfer to get more distance is to learn how to hit a draw ...

Good Golfing ...

The best advice I received as a senior golfer to get more distance is to learn how to hit a draw ...

Good Golfing ...

I tried to develop a draw over the winter and spring but finally gave up. I either fade it or hit it straight. I literally cannot go right to left if I try.

I tried to develop a draw over the winter and spring but finally gave up. I either fade it or hit it straight. I literally cannot go right to left if I try.

I go right to left plenty of times. Problem is, I'm not trying to. :LOL:

So I just aborted an attempt at a swing overhaul. My game suffered because of it. Instead of playing golf I was playing golf swing. I went back to my old swing now and my game is on point again
I started this thread to have a place for us older guys to talk about our games without having to read the 280 yard 3 wood stories so popular on the internet. 🙄 Somewhere I lost my way though, and I tried to chase distance.
At my age and SS, nothing drastic is going to change there though, no matter how pretty the swing looks. What I found out is Arnie was right. Swing your swing. Especially when you’re over 60.
We aren’t going to suddenly start bombing the ball. Working your a** off to try and gain a few yards? Buy a lighter shaft, it’s easier. Fine tune your short game. Hope your body feels good that day. Play smart, avoid the big mistakes and play the right tees. Make a couple of long putts or stick some wedges, you can still score.
Dont waste time on remaking your swing though, it’s fools gold. For every older golfer over 60 who finds “that gold” at the end of the rainbow, there are a hundred throwing their time and money down the drain on the lesson tee. Get out and play, and enjoy the good days. Have a beer and forget the bad ones.

Good advise SC Lefty, I think we all go down the rabbit at some time. I bought a regular flex shaft with adapter for my driver, not trying for more distance. Just more consistant drives in fairway, and hopefully the same distance. I keep losing the ball right and not much hieght, I think the stiff flex shaft is too stiff for my swing speed now. So I hope to get the ball in the fairway and keep my distance, with this new shaft. UST Mamiya comprtition series 65 weight.

Good advise SC Lefty, I think we all go down the rabbit at some time. I bought a regular flex shaft with adapter for my driver, not trying for more distance. Just more consistent drives in fairway, and hopefully the same distance. I keep losing the ball right and not much hieght, I think the stiff flex shaft is too stiff for my swing speed now. So I hope to get the ball in the fairway and keep my distance, with this new shaft. UST Mamiya comprtition series 65 weight.
I hear you. And I have resigned myself to playing with the swing I have. That being said though, I did just start using the SuperSpeed system to see if I can squeeze out a few more yards without changing my swing.

Back