The 60 and over Thread

I went to a short (5800 some yard) par 70 course today. Front side I muffed the first 4 of tee balls and missed some irons till the lidocaine patches kicked in. Shot a 42, not good but it could have been a lot worse had it not been that I could still get home, or close despite the bad tee balls. Took me till 9 to make a good, on in regulation par.
Back side was a different story. I started out par, bird, par, then I ran into a roadblock, a foursome 5 groups up had everyone backed up to the point that we had 3 groups on every hole the rest of the way in..I was ready to leave but I just stuck it out, and played like absolute garbage. The longer I waited. The less concentration I had. After the good start on the back I still managed to mangle it and shot a 44. I just don't have the patience to maintain concentration on the back side as it is anymore, much less when it gets painfully slow. Is this concentration loss common with aging?

I don’t think aging and loss of concentration go hand in hand. I know I play better when we move along and there is no time to mull over all the other things going on. But that has been the case for 60 years.

I noticed this today. I noticed that I've lost some distance. Quite a bit. I noticed that it's not that the distance isn't still there. It's that I'm not putting as much effort into it as I was last year. It's like the body feels a little more tired. I put the added effort in on the last couple holes and the distance was still there, so it's not that it's gone away. It's like I just don't feel like putting in that effort to get that distance like I used to and it's killing my approach game. It's not like I've lost the flexibility. It's like I've lost some of the "grip it and rip it" attitude.

I noticed this today. I noticed that I've lost some distance. Quite a bit. I noticed that it's not that the distance isn't still there. It's that I'm not putting as much effort into it as I was last year. It's like the body feels a little more tired. I put the added effort in on the last couple holes and the distance was still there, so it's not that it's gone away. It's like I just don't feel like putting in that effort to get that distance like I used to and it's killing my approach game. It's not like I've lost the flexibility. It's like I've lost some of the "grip it and rip it" attitude.

Have you tried senior tees or evaluate the courses you play? I have done both. The senior tees helped my game (5,400-5,500 yards) and I have played a few courses with white tees, if they are at 5,600 or less yards. It is so much nicer than 6,000+ yards.

Last edited:

I am of a similar thought. Earlier this year, I decided I had just gotten content with a "lazy" swing, as I would call it. Then I got so fed up with my loss of distance that I made a concerted effort to swing the driver, in particular, faster, not harder. It makes a difference!

I am anxious to get back on the course as during my round on Wednesday this past week my right forearm started killing me. Each shot became more painful than the last. When I got home, I could barely pick up a coffee mug. With a lot of ice and Advil, by late Thursday it wasn't as bad, and I wanted to see what it felt like swinging a club. It was still sore enough that I started swinging primarily with my left, lead arm, with my right hand very, very lightly on the club. Wow! The speed I was able to generate surprised me. Perhaps I have been using too much right hand/arm/side in my swing for some time.

I want to see if I can sustain that speed and focus on using my left arm when there is a ball in front of me, and also see if ball striking contact suffers or not.

Have you tried senior tees or evaluate the courses you play? I have done both. The senior tees helped my game (5,400-5,500 yards) and I have played a few courses with white tees, if they are at 5,600 or less yards. It is so much nicer than 6,000+ yards.

Those are the forward tees where I play. I already play there. I have nowhere to go. :LOL: Time to hit the gym.

This came up in the Swing Thoughts thread, but is epidemic among us seniors, so I thought I'd post it here.

My current swing thought is to make sure my lead shoulder rotates up and back before I reach impact. From a sequencing standpoint this happens as the hands move from waist to hip high on the downswing. If you retain your lag until hip high this creates tremendous clubhead speed through the impact zone as well as several other benefits.

You've probably heard the concept of cracking the whip. That is essentially what you are doing. If you think of the hands making a U-shaped path on the downswing the shoulders moving up and behind causes the hands to start the climb on the upside of the U, which causes the clubhead to release the lag accelerating the clubface through and beyond impact. It also promotes activating ground forces, appropriate AoA with irons and woods, and more solid and consistent contact.

As I explained in the other thread, at age 65 I find I now have to tell my body to do things that previously were automatic. This one swing thought does a lot of good things for my swing.

My concession to old age and driving has been to play more loft. 10.5 degree Ping G425 Max and 11 degree Titleist TSI2 are both great drivers for me as my speed slows.
Both are on sale, and both are long and straight. Ping makes a 12 degree in the 425 Max if you can find it. 12 degree Mizuno STX is another great option as long as you aren't fighting a hook.

I found it interesting that I was hitting 32% of fairways with my TM Sim Max (10.5 deg) and then increased the loft to 11.25 degrees and now have been in the 50s on fairways and haven't lost any appreciable distance. TM website said it would add 150 rpm spin, but that was probably what I needed. And I agree that we need to consciously tell our bodies what to do otherwise they get lazy.

I found it interesting that I was hitting 32% of fairways with my TM Sim Max (10.5 deg) and then increased the loft to 11.25 degrees and now have been in the 50s on fairways and haven't lost any appreciable distance. TM website said it would add 150 rpm spin, but that was probably what I needed. And I agree that we need to consciously tell our bodies what to do otherwise they get lazy.
Yes, as swing speed slows, spin is your friend, it helps keep the ball airborne. As a bonus, backspinning balls don't move right or left as much either. Backspin adds to carry more than it detracts from run out. Today I was feeling pretty spry after the first couple holes. Despite the crap cold, damp weather I carried my 11 degree TSI2 245 or better 7 times. A couple were considerably further. I guarantee they went further than my old 9* would have. I think a lot of people hitting low spin drivers are doing themselves a disservice, because the simply don't have the speed to have low spin work for them. My old butt 62 yr out driving many of the 30 somethings hitting low spin drivers on my leagues attest to that. I know they swing faster than me, but not fast enough for low spin.

Played 9 this morning, had a later Tee time because of temperature. Swing was off today, hit a few good shots. But it just wasn't a good feeling. Concentrated on rotating instead of back swing, and started hitting good shots. Greens sanded and aeriated, so putting wasn't good.

For you right handed golfers - anybody having trouble with their left knee. I focus on keeping my weight on my left side, and shoulder aligned to my left foot until the point of impact. I think it's tearing up my left knew. My stance is straight to slightly closed. My driver swing speed is 95 to 100 and I'm wondering if opening up my stance will take some of the torque off my left knee.

For you right handed golfers - anybody having trouble with their left knee. I focus on keeping my weight on my left side, and shoulder aligned to my left foot until the point of impact. I think it's tearing up my left knew. My stance is straight to slightly closed. My driver swing speed is 95 to 100 and I'm wondering if opening up my stance will take some of the torque off my left knee.

Are you trying to do stack n tilt? In my opinion, if it is causing pain, stop and try something else.

i can confirm this. Your body does feel more tired! And it's not all attitude. I don't know how old you are, but you have to make an effort to get through life, and stay alive! My knees are shot because i played football until I got a knee injury. Once I came back from that I played basketball into my early 50's! Plus, I engaged in some very physical labor early in my life. So, yes, I have less energy than I did back in the day!

This is why golf courses have multiple sets of tees, so everyone can find a place where they can enjoy the game! it seems to me that some men's egos can get in the way of that!

I had a really wild swing as a young kid. Lots of weight shift to put as much energy as possible into the ball.
When I took up golf again I quickly realized that wouldn't work at my age! I totally abandoned weight shift and learned a new rotational swing.
A few weeks ago I did a ton of stair climbing over a week. Figured it was time to add a little weight shift into my swing.
Noticeable improvement in distance but have no idea exactly how much yet.
Having had a stroke I know exactly how I'm moving my body. Paradoxically, because it took so much effort to move my body in ways folks take for granted
I can now do difficult golf movements.

i can confirm this. Your body does feel more tired! And it's not all attitude. I don't know how old you are, but you have to make an effort to get through life, and stay alive! My knees are shot because i played football until I got a knee injury. Once I came back from that I played basketball into my early 50's! Plus, I engaged in some very physical labor early in my life. So, yes, I have less energy than I did back in the day!

This is why golf courses have multiple sets of tees, so everyone can find a place where they can enjoy the game! it seems to me that some men's egos can get in the way of that!

So it becomes more of a fight. I'll be 70 in 30 days. I'm used to never being out of a hole. I could top the drive, grab the 5W and be down near the green, short pitch and have an opportunity for an up and down. Be 145 yds out and that would be an 8i carry in. Now it's too long for an 8i and too short for a 7i. I have to play the 7i easy and hope it runs up. I also have to remember that the 26 hybrid is no 24 hybrid like I used to play. That it's more like a 6i. And the 22 hybrid is just longer than a 5i.

But I'm going to lose some weight and hit the gym and hopefully tone some muscle again and maybe get some of the distance back.

I checked my pride at the door. Ditched the mid and long irons. Now using fairway woods. So much better. I spent so much time trying to make the irons work with more consistency. To no avail. I see the better players hitting irons to the greens. I thought that was the way to go. Screw that. I'm now using senior flex fairway woods. They are easier to hit.

I don't have to swing as hard. I just focus on hitting the ball clean and it gets up nicely and in the general direction where I'm hitting. Mishits don't leave me far off. Just a little left, right or short with a manageable chip. I hit more greens too. My fairway woods are 5, 7 and 9. Replacing 3 through 7 irons/hybrids. I'm getting an 11 wood next to replace the 8 iron.

My brother was a rules official at a recent top senior amateur event. He asked one of the longer hitters the key to hitting it father and his response was stretching. He said he doesn't hit the gym but stretches at least an hour everyday.
Interesting. I'm going to try this. I work out every morning to help my torn rotator cuff, but I'll bet stretching would be better.

Headed out to the range today to dial in a driver for a course we are playing this weekend that demands one turn the ball over hard on a couple holes. Since most of my drivers are set up to promote a fade I had a but of tinkering to do. Picking through the drivers, I got to thinking about how much things have changed. I looked at an early/mid 90's Wilson Whale Titanium. That thing was huge back in the day, and looong. Now it looks like a deep faced 3 wood.
Today's clubs are also so forgiving I can't get over it. Even the Irons. I still have a few of the old bombers, an aluminum insert Penna persimmon. A few Wlsons and MacGregors. Burner Bubbles, the aforementiined Whale. I need to get them out again this year.

BTW, the Mizuno STZ2000 set at neutral won the place in the bag this weekend. The Ping G425 Max set at neutral would turn it over harder for me, but I had a more difficult time getting a fade out of it. TSI2 only wanted to go straight....like that's ever really bad. Lol

My brother was a rules official at a recent top senior amateur event. He asked one of the longer hitters the key to hitting it father and his response was stretching. He said he doesn't hit the gym but stretches at least an hour everyday.

I can believe this. I turned 70 last week, and my main golf buddy will be close behind. His older Brother is well into his 70's, and can still hit a Driver close to 300 yards! He stretches for and hour every morning and evening! I've asked my golf buddy to ask him for his regimen. He says he will, but then he always forgets.

In order to consistently hit irons to the green you need to be on the fairway.
Turf interaction with the rough is unpredictable.

When I did bunker practice, hitting balls to the rough, it was much harder chipping the balls back into the bunker than to hit them out!
After a while, I just picked the balls up and dropped them back into the bunker.

I can believe this. I turned 70 last week, and my main golf buddy will be close behind. His older Brother is well into his 70's, and can still hit a Driver close to 300 yards! He stretches for and hour every morning and evening! I've asked my golf buddy to ask him for his regimen. He says he will, but then he always forgets.
When you find out let us know.

Yes, moving radically forward has it pluses and minuses. A nearby city holds a men's golf championship. We "super seniors" (age 65 and up) play the most forward tees at 5,200-5,300 yards. One of the few times I can sort of feel like a pro. Driver wedge, reachable par 5's, playing a hybrid or 3-wood "for position" or to take trouble out of play. Have fun and tell us how you did in a couple weeks.
Well, played in the Senior Golf Championship at my Golf Club yesterday and tied for First Place with a Net 73.
The golfer I tied with was half my HCDP (8 vs. 16).
I ended up losing the tie breaker on strokes on the 4 hardest holes, where it would have benefited the 8 more.
I lost 1 ball and 4 putted a par 3 that I was on the green of the tee.
1 out of 89 cost me winning outright.
Going to burn for awhile.
Turns out that the golfer that won had won it before, so he knew better.
Anyways, I get a trophy on Saturday (3rd golf trophy this year) at Awards Dinner, so that's not so bad.

Well, played in the Senior Golf Championship at my Golf Club yesterday and tied for First Place with a Net 73.
The golfer I tied with was half my HCDP (8 vs. 16).
I ended up losing the tie breaker on strokes on the 4 hardest holes, where it would have benefited the 8 more.
... Anyways, I get a trophy on Saturday (3rd golf trophy this year) at Awards Dinner, so that's not so bad.
Well done, even if you were edged out by a scorecard playoff. You performed when the heat was on.

Back