The 60 and over Thread

Best of luck Charley. Getting old isn't for sissies.
You ain't kidding. Joints ache. Arthritis adds to the problem. Getting up to pee multiple times a night. The whole system starts having problems. Then shingles comes. I suppose getting old is better than the alternative though.

Another sign of getting old is all the preventative medical shots you take.
Three Covid shots, two shingles shots, a Tetanus booster, Flu shots... No wonder I can't remember everything! :ROFLMAO:
All the blood pressure and heart medications are making my stomach feel full. I think I'm losing weight now. :ROFLMAO:

Yes a lot of medications as you get older, but better than the alterative.

First Eagle since my return (24 years since the last one!!!). Just short of the green with my Heavenwood and 8i chip in on a horrible downhill lie and green...

4469b5fd97a7fea883dc872531df593e.jpg

A

Sent from my SM-F711B using Tapatalk

First Eagle since my return (24 years since the last one!!!). Just short of the green with my Heavenwood and 8i chip in on a horrible downhill lie and green...

4469b5fd97a7fea883dc872531df593e.jpg

A

Sent from my SM-F711B using Tapatalk
Nice! Eagles might not be in the cards for me unless I sink one from the fairway. Par 5's are out of reach for me to get there in two now. The only eagle I ever had was back when I could reach par 5's in two. I sunk a long putt on the 3rd shot.

Nice! Eagles might not be in the cards for me unless I sink one from the fairway. Par 5's are out of reach for me to get there in two now. The only eagle I ever had was back when I could reach par 5's in two. I sunk a long putt on the 3rd shot.

It’s interesting that when I played 20+ years ago I would never have got close to this green, nor the par 5 on the previous round where I was over the back in 2…. Technology has come a long way and has more than made up for my less fit body especially in the Driver and Fairway woods…. I don’t normally go for the green on this hole but was swinging so badly I thought I’d have a laugh. Was nice to finish Eagle, par, par, DB…. And we can forget the first 5 holes!!!

A

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just tore my rotator cuff and had surgery on 9/20. Always have had shoulder issues with cortisone shots after years of physical wear and tear from work and play. I did it working out. At 65, although fit and strong this event was probably the straw that broke the camels back as they say. Rehabilitation is long and slow for this (I work in PT). I will have to change my thinking on how I approach things. Going to be necessary to stop acting like I’m 25, if I want get to full retirement in one piece. No work for awhile and no golf to at least next spring.
Just after having my best season ever. Hard to believe I will ever swing a club again right now. But I will work hard at rehab and return to form.

Last edited:
Just tore my rotator cuff and had surgery on 9/20. Always have had shoulder issues with cortisone shots after years of physical wear and tear from work and play. I did it working out. At 65, although fit and strong this event was probably the straw that broke the camels back as they say. Rehabilitation is long and slow for this (I work in PT). I will have to change my thinking on how I approach things. Going to be necessary to stop acting like I’m 25, if I want get to full retirement in one piece. No work for awhile and no golf to at least next spring.
Just after having my best season ever. Hard to believe I will ever swing a club again right now. But I will work hard at rehab and return to form.
You'll get there. You have the right attitude and all the tools.

Tore my left one about three years ago.Five months later I was back playing golf.At present I have a partial tear in the right one but it is not bad enough now for surgery and doesn't affect my golf.MY left knee is another issue and will probably have knee replacement sometime in the near future. At 70 yrs old, I have seen a lot of friends and neighbors not make it this far.

My left rotator has a partial tear/delamination and I treated it w cortisone.
My neighbor and friend is an ortho - his best advice ever was that all ortho's have only 1 tool in their box - surgery
He said as long as I can do what I want ( even w pain) DON'T get surgery.
I have so far NOT had wrist, shoulder, hip, knee or ankle surgeries which were all deemed highly necessary via mri or x rays
Not gonna say I'm pain free or have full range of motion but I can still do everything I want

I turned 61 this year and here is my opinion on distance vs getting older.
I have not played in years and just started back playing this year. I bought a set of used clubs and off I went. I was hitting my irons about the same as I did years ago but my drives were not near as far. After playing for a few months I started realizing a few things. Guys were hitting everything past me. They would use a shorter club on all the par 3's and would outdrive me every time. I figured out that one reason is they had newer clubs than I do. I bought a nice used set of 13 year old Ping G15s that I really like. I love them BUT the older clubs have more loft than the new ones do. I am okay with this, I just hit one club more. Iron distance is all relative so it really makes no difference to me. Another thing that made a huge difference is the ball. I found out quick that you have to play the right ball for you. I tried playing the expensive tour balls (proV1) because I have always had a problem with the ball staying on the green. They were good on the green but I lost distance and accuracy off the tee. The hard 2 piece balls went far but wouldn't stay in the fairway or on the green. I started hitting the super soft balls because I loved the feel around the greens. I couldn't hit those very far either. I researched balls online more than I care to admit and learned quite a bit. Balls have come a long way too. I settled on the Srixon Q-star tour. It is similar to a pro V1 but a lower compression (72 vs 90). It has the great feel of the Pro V1 around the greens but goes about 20 yards farther off the tee with my swing speed and straighter. If I get fitted for a nice modern driver I probably can get another 15 - 20 yards. That will put me over 265 off the tee. Still not what I was hitting when I was a young man but much better than I was getting before making the right changes. My point is, if you are having distance troubles maybe your age is causing you to have to make changes in your clubs and ball. I'm still amazed at how much difference finding the right ball for me made. It was a game changer. The right ball matters more than lot of people think.

Here’s a story you guys might get a laugh out of, or just shake your heads at the stupidity(?) of.
I bought a set of Launcher XL Halo irons the day they came out last August. Then a few months later, when the PXG Gen 3 XPs went on sale, I sold the Halos and bought those. This spring I sold the PXGs for a small profit and bought… you guessed it, the Halos again, because I regretted selling them when I did.
This brings us to yesterday morning, when I get a call from my buddy telling me he just bought a set of Gen3’s. They are now $99 a club, free shipping and a full 60 day money back guarantee. This was too good a deal to pass up, so yeah, I ordered another set of XP’s.
Don’t ask me why I do this kind of thing… I’m loving the Halos. There is no need for me to buy another set, other than I really like the XP’s also. So here I am, proud owner of my second set of Halos and my soon to be second set of PXG XP’s.
Either way, the Halo’s aren’t going anywhere. The PXG’s will get a 60 day trial run. If they are as good or better than the Cleveland’s, they will get to stick around, otherwise back they go, with my itch hopefully fully scratched.
Well it didn’t take me very long to decide what to do here.
The PXGs are excellent irons, but the Halos are like cheating. If I don’t put a good swing on the XPs, I pay the price for it. With the Halos I have to put a horrible move on the ball to get a bad result.
This game is hard enough for me, I’m not looking to make it harder than I have to. Bottom line, the PXGs are going back. Thanks to the 100% money back guarantee it was no harm no foul, and I scratched an itch I need to scratch.
At this point, I can’t imagine playing anything other than a hybrid set of irons ever again.

Hang in there. I've been lucky. My left shoulder was acting weird. A pop and pain when I had certain movements. After an MRI the ortho doc said I needed surgery. It wasn't the rotator but my tendons were barely hanging on. I put off the surgery. That was 5 years ago. Still occasional pain but I know what causes it so I adjust what I'm doing to avoid it. It never affected the golf swing. Is there such a thing as tendons repairing themselves?

Hang in there. I've been lucky. My left shoulder was acting weird. A pop and pain when I had certain movements. After an MRI the ortho doc said I needed surgery. It wasn't the rotator but my tendons were barely hanging on. I put off the surgery. That was 5 years ago. Still occasional pain but I know what causes it so I adjust what I'm doing to avoid it. It never affected the golf swing. Is there such a thing as tendons repairing themselves?
My wife’s friend had exactly the same thing, doc said it was her rotator, but when the surgery was in progress, it turned out to be a tear in her supraspinatus tendon.

I have not played in years and just started back playing this year. I bought a set of used clubs and off I went. I was hitting my irons about the same as I did years ago but my drives were not near as far. After playing for a few months I started realizing a few things. Guys were hitting everything past me. They would use a shorter club on all the par 3's and would outdrive me every time. I figured out that one reason is they had newer clubs than I do. I bought a nice used set of 13 year old Ping G15s that I really like. I love them BUT the older clubs have more loft than the new ones do. I am okay with this, I just hit one club more. Iron distance is all relative so it really makes no difference to me. Another thing that made a huge difference is the ball. I found out quick that you have to play the right ball for you. I tried playing the expensive tour balls (proV1) because I have always had a problem with the ball staying on the green. They were good on the green but I lost distance and accuracy off the tee. The hard 2 piece balls went far but wouldn't stay in the fairway or on the green. I started hitting the super soft balls because I loved the feel around the greens. I couldn't hit those very far either. I researched balls online more than I care to admit and learned quite a bit. Balls have come a long way too. I settled on the Srixon Q-star tour. It is similar to a pro V1 but a lower compression (72 vs 90). It has the great feel of the Pro V1 around the greens but goes about 20 yards farther off the tee with my swing speed and straighter. If I get fitted for a nice modern driver I probably can get another 15 - 20 yards. That will put me over 265 off the tee. Still not what I was hitting when I was a young man but much better than I was getting before making the right changes. My point is, if you are having distance troubles maybe your age is causing you to have to make changes in your clubs and ball. I'm still amazed at how much difference finding the right ball for me made. It was a game changer. The right ball matters more than lot of people think.
I found out the Bridgestone Extra Soft were the balls that got a little more distance for my swing. I was having a rough front nine. On hole ten I hit near someone's yard. I go to play my ball near the fence and this lady in her back yard says "Would you like another ball? This one looks new". I said "Sure". So I put it in my pocket.

After another double bogey I figured I'd change my luck and hit the ball she gave me. Near the end of the round I noticed I was hitting further. My playing partners told me to check that ball. The way I compress it might be the one for me. Ever since then the Bridgestone Extra Soft is the only one I use.

Played 9 today, bad day. Not hitting anything, however putting was great. Going to try again tomorrow, normally don't play 2 days in a row because of back. But Friday weather is turning cold.

Last edited:
When they have not fully torn, they can be thinner and less thick. My right shoulder is like that. Much like a worn away fabric in a clothing item or furniture. It may be retracted but have enough attachment and scar tissue to hang on. If you adjust like you seem to be doing you may never have to worry unless you overdo it like I did. As my surgeon and PT have said, almost everybody who has overused or had some form of trauma when using their shoulders has some tears (micro) that you can live with.

When they have not fully torn, they can be thinner and less thick. My right shoulder is like that. Much like a worn away fabric in a clothing item or furniture. It may be retracted but have enough attachment and scar tissue to hang on. If you adjust like you seem to be doing you may never have to worry unless you overdo it like I did. As my surgeon and PT have said, almost everybody who has overused or had some form of trauma when using their shoulders has some tears (micro) that you can live with.
This is the left shoulder and I'm right handed. Go figure. What seems weird is, I played men's fast pitch softball for over 30 years. I was a pitcher. Between practice and games the amount of pitches I've thrown is probably in the hundreds of thousands. It wasn't unusual for throw more than 20 innings in a weekend tournament. Its a movement that is rough on the whole body. Yet. my right shoulder is fine. Never has bothered me. I've been told throwing that windmill underhand motion as hard as you can is easier on the arm and shoulder than the overhand baseball throw. I've also been told by an instructor that movement should aid the golf swing because there are similarities in it.

Took lunch today at one of our barns on the other side of the county. There are a bunch of old laminated woods and cheap old blade irons in the closet there as well as milk crates full of ratty balls the guys find working on the roads by golf courses.. Another guy and I were hitting ratty old balls with ratty old clubs, then feeling frisky I teed up a ball on a tuft of grass and tried to KILL it with an old Northwestern laminated 3 wood. ( I am sure in this thread some of you guys remember Northwestern, king of the K-Mart clubs). Much to my surprise I made solid contact, and it carried a ditch I know for a fact was 275-280 yards from where we were standing. :eek:

No, the club is still in the closet there.......I cant tee it up on a tuft of grass off the fairway LOL

Took lunch today at one of our barns on the other side of the county. There are a bunch of old laminated woods and cheap old blade irons in the closet there as well as milk crates full of ratty balls the guys find working on the roads by golf courses.. Another guy and I were hitting ratty old balls with ratty old clubs, then feeling frisky I teed up a ball on a tuft of grass and tried to KILL it with an old Northwestern laminated 3 wood. ( I am sure in this thread some of you guys remember Northwestern, king of the K-Mart clubs). Much to my surprise I made solid contact, and it carried a ditch I know for a fact was 275-280 yards from where we were standing. :eek:

No, the club is still in the closet there.......I cant tee it up on a tuft of grass off the fairway LOL

I definitely remember Northwestern golf clubs and I had a 1 Wood in my bag back in the 70s.

Really good post. I‘m 68, and don’t have anywhere near the SS you do, but you make a great point about finding the right ball.
The biggest difference to me though is still the head/shaft combination. Quick story back almost two years ago when the G425 was coming out, I ordered a 10.5* SFT version with the stock reg flex shaft. I was averaging about 185 carry off the tee. Playing at sea level, I need to squeeze out every yard I can, and 185 carry wasn’t going to cut it.
I brought it back into the PGASS before my 90 day playability was up and they put me in a Senior flex Alta. I went up to about 192 but it was still way too much spin. So we then tried the Max version with the same shaft and my SS went up slightly, the spin came down, and I was averaging 205. The last one we tried was a 9* Max head with the Distanza shaft.
Now my SS was up to around 88 and I was getting 217 carry, and averaging 240 total with a Senior shaft!!!
That’s a 40 yard gain in distance just by fiddling around with stock shafts and head combinations offered by one OEM.
I’ve since tried the Callaway Rogue ST Max with an Aldila Orange shaft and I’m about 5-7 yards further. I’m not sure if it would be as forgiving as the G425 has been though. My plan is to wait until January when the new Ping and Callaway models come out, compare them all, and see if it’s worth paying for an upgrade.

Last edited:
I’ve since tried the Callaway Rogue ST Max with an Aldila Orange shaft and I’m about 5-7 yards further.

Is it the Aldila NXT GEN NVS 55/65? Please provide details.

Back