The 60 and over Thread

We had a gorgeous day to play today. Mid 60s and maybe touched 70. Unusual for this late in the year in Ohio. Tomorrow is warm and rain, then the bottom drops out. As so me of you know I am doing the Edison 2.0 wedge test. That is going well, the club is very playable. At some point I’m going to have some other people hit it and see what they think. Anyway, it was so warm today I went back to my gamer TP5x ball. I hit 2 of my longest drives of the year on 15 and 16. Below is the measurement on 16, a par 5 up over a hill to a left to right sloping fairway. To be fair, I did have about a 1 club tail wind.
IMG_0264.jpeg

Well...... I got some partial answers to my widely varying energy levels, great play one day, crap swing a couple days later. After 5 weeks of twice a week blood testing, they have found both my blood sugar and my thyroid hormone production are all over the place. A1C never was over 7 but it hit the high 6's a couple times. Fasting glucose hit the high 170s a couple times. Thyroid was in and out of proper operation as well. At least we are figuring out what we have to do something about.
My wife's A1C was 7 and her fasting glucose was over 150. The doc put her on metformin. Last blood test her A1C dropped to 6.2 her daily check at home with the glucose meter is around 110-120.

I've been lucky. My glucose is usually below 100 and the A1C is never above 5.7. Not to mention my overall cholesterol is usually around 165-170. But the back pain is whole different thing. I'm usually wiped out after 18 holes. And that is riding a cart.

My wife's A1C is always about 6.2 and everything else is good. Took ger off Metformin and put on something else, hope this works better.

Hi seniors, I've has a chronic bad lead shoulder for years. I often have played through it. Have tried PT a few times too. It's gotten worse lately. I know I should take a few months off. I was doing some at home practice swings letting my lead elbow bend and it takes the pressure off my shoulder. Anyone else play with a bent lead elbow/arm? Do you just do it or is there any set up cheats or thoughts to get there?

Figured out the top of my bag!
Driver Stealth 12+1setting
Fairway Wood Stealth 3HL 16.5* I can hit this off the deck
Hybrid Mavrik Max 5H 27*
Irons Mavrik Max lite 4 22*, XXIO 12 6 25* Both are easy to hit off the fairway. The 4 won't hold greens but that doesn't matter for a distance club.
The 6 iron only gives me a few more yards than the 7 but with a slow swing speed that is worth keeping in the bag!
I have a similar setup. However I'm wondering where your 5H 27 degree fits in - I'm assuming it's your 5 iron replacement between the 4 22 degree and the 6 25 degree?

In my case I have 7W 21 degree as my next longest club above 4 and 5 irons. It goes further and higher than other 2/3 iron replacement clubs in the 19 to 21 degree loft range. As my swing speed has slowed down I'm starting to favor fairway woods over lower number hybrids.

Hi seniors, I've has a chronic bad lead shoulder for years. I often have played through it. Have tried PT a few times too. It's gotten worse lately. I know I should take a few months off. I was doing some at home practice swings letting my lead elbow bend and it takes the pressure off my shoulder. Anyone else play with a bent lead elbow/arm? Do you just do it or is there any set up cheats or thoughts to get there?
Look at videos of Calvin Peetes swing. He did very well with a bent lead elbow. 12 wins on tour as I recall. His ball flight was straighter than straight. I had the pleasure of playing a round with him before he made it big.

My wife's A1C is always about 6.2 and everything else is good. Took ger off Metformin and put on something else, hope this works better.
Well, I got some possible answers as to the fluctuations. It turns out that Prednizone. Which I took on my worst spinal arthritis days can spike blood sugar. I hope they find something else for me on those days. I don't want to be popping Norco like tic-tacs. lol

I have a similar setup. However I'm wondering where your 5H 27 degree fits in - I'm assuming it's your 5 iron replacement between the 4 22 degree and the 6 25 degree?

In my case I have 7W 21 degree as my next longest club above 4 and 5 irons. It goes further and higher than other 2/3 iron replacement clubs in the 19 to 21 degree loft range. As my swing speed has slowed down I'm starting to favor fairway woods over lower number hybrids.
I just got the 5H so I haven't quite figured it out yet. It goes straight with a lot of roll. Unlike the 8H which goes higher and doesn't roll as much.
I also put the 4iron back in the bag and am learning to swing it faster than I did before. :)
I spent a few monthd learning ball striking. Now that I don't have to think about that I'm swinging my irons faster. So gapping is now day to day. :)
I put away the woods for winter to see how much I can improve with my irons before it gets too cold to play golf.

Last edited:
Well I went to the range for the first time in about 15 months the other day. Here in SoCal we got a little rain but it was really nothing. Hitting my wedges and short irons well. But all of a sudden when I pulled out the 6 iron it went to hell.
Maltby KE 4 Max irons. Nice clubs.
Waiting for some of the new releases later this year, early next. Especially the new Cleveland irons that are going to replace the Launcher XL irons.
Gotta practice more before hitting the course.

The wet grass leaves a visible indication of where the ball strikes my 4 iron.

Attachments

• 4 Iron.jpg
    4 Iron.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 7
Well, I got some possible answers as to the fluctuations. It turns out that Prednizone. Which I took on my worst spinal arthritis days can spike blood sugar. I hope they find something else for me on those days. I don't want to be popping Norco like tic-tacs. lol
Makes sense. Anything with cortisone in it is going to cause glucose spikes. I’ve been a type II for about 15 years now. When I had knee issues I hated getting cortisone shots because it would spike my glucose up into the 200s. I hope your spinal issues get resolved.

Ok, this is the day! Made it to 67.. Working today, but have a round scheduled for tomorrow. It will be mid 50's, with a light wind. No rain, sunshine. Renewed my CDL this week for possibly the last time. I will be 71 when it expires, so not thinking too much about driving till I'm that old. Hopefully to retire in the next year. Everyone have a great day, and a nice weekend...

Ok, this is the day! Made it to 67.. Working today, but have a round scheduled for tomorrow. It will be mid 50's, with a light wind. No rain, sunshine. Renewed my CDL this week for possibly the last time. I will be 71 when it expires, so not thinking too much about driving till I'm that old. Hopefully to retire in the next year. Everyone have a great day, and a nice weekend...
Did you get a 2 yr medical card? Around here it's like once you hit 64 they arbitrarily give people a one year card, regardless of your state of health. Thank God the State pays for mine..... stupid

I like to track my approach shot distances on Par 4 holes and then note whether or not I made GIR. Over time I've noted at over 140 yds on those my chances of GIR or par drop off considerably. This leads me to usually limit my Par 4 holes to 360 yds because for me a good solid playable drive goes about 220.
With this in mind and also limiting Par 3s to 140 or so I choose tees accordingly. Par 5s are not as important because most are 3 shot holes and the 3rd shot is usually much closer than 140.
I have now tracked my approach shot distances from multiple rounds to add real data for consideration. Through all of these my average driver distance was 210 yds.
I hit 76 approach shots (GIR attempts) from 47 to 205 yards out. Below 141 yards my par or better success rate was 73%. Those shots were 57% of all attempts.
Above 160 yards I tried 21 shots and made 1 par (5%). My average 9-hole score was 41.
I think there are many avidly golfing/mid HC seniors out there who can relate to hitting driver 210 yards and are on the fence about tee box selection. I recommend the tees that give you a reasonably good (50-60%) chance of par or better based on the lengths of the Par 4 and Par 3 holes. For me limits of 360 yds for Par 4s and 160 yds for Par 3s keep me in my "scoring zone".

I have now tracked my approach shot distances from multiple rounds to add real data for consideration. Through all of these my average driver distance was 210 yds.
I hit 76 approach shots (GIR attempts) from 47 to 205 yards out. Below 141 yards my par or better success rate was 73%. Those shots were 57% of all attempts.
Above 160 yards I tried 21 shots and made 1 par (5%). My average 9-hole score was 41.
I think there are many avidly golfing/mid HC seniors out there who can relate to hitting driver 210 yards and are on the fence about tee box selection. I recommend the tees that give you a reasonably good (50-60%) chance of par or better based on the lengths of the Par 4 and Par 3 holes. For me limits of 360 yds for Par 4s and 160 yds for Par 3s keep me in my "scoring zone".
I think the average drive length * 27 is a good indicator of course length to play when figuring out what tees. Some say a 5 iron distance * 36 works too, but, honestly, what is a 5 iron anymore? My driver average distance is ~220. That times 27 is 5940, so 5800-6000 yards is a good range for me right now. At the club the par 4s are 260 (uphill), 395 ( downhill), 350, 330, 340, 420 (uphill, plays 450), 330 (downhill), 340 (uphill), 320 (downhill), 340 (downhill). Par 3s are 130, 140 (uphill), 125, and 165 (uphill). At the muni, which I play at 5300 yards, the par 4s range from 275 to 340 and the par 3s from 100 - 160. With a 220 average drive I’m hitting nearly every club in the bag at the club while at the muni I’ll hit a lot of wedges. I don’t keep stats for approach shot distances, but I’m sure I get progressively better the closer I get. At the muni, where I’m hitting some sort of wedge on 10 or 11 holes, my GIR is pretty high..

Truth is I like playing at both places for different reasons. The club because I get to hit all the shots and all the clubs in the bag and the muni to score.

Sounds reasonable. I’m 72 with the typical ailments of most of us seasoned golfers.
I used to use a 45” driver (215), then the mini driver (200) and now I just use a driving iron or hybrid (185-190). Still fun!
Back to the range today after taking over a year off.

Sounds reasonable. I’m 72 with the typical ailments of most of us seasoned golfers.
I used to use a 45” driver (215), then the mini driver (200) and now I just use a driving iron or hybrid (185-190). Still fun!
Back to the range today after taking over a year off.
Good luck at the range!

This article from USGA is an excellent summary of everything to consider when choosing tee boxes/hole lengths to play. Multiple golfers when surveyed stated they prefer to hit 6 iron or less on their approach shots. For many seniors and definitely myself that is right around 140 yards.
Good article. I guess at age 70 I am just an average male golfer. 🤣 playing well on a course where I have be able to hit all the shots and all the clubs makes the game more enjoyable for me. Playing driver fairway wood to every par 4 is too much and driver <100 yards on every hole is too short.

I'll never understand the need to have others tell you how to enjoy the game. I played from tees that were too difficult the other day because I wanted the challenge. The thing is, there was no confusion as to why I struggled.

If I play from 4600 yards enough times, I will eventually shoot my lowest score and it'll be enjoyable. But a DB from shorter tees can bring every bit as much frustration as not reaching a par 4 in 2 on a longer course.

There's something rewarding about playing a longer course and shooting a lower-than-average differential. That doesn't mean I'd attempt that when the course is busy or when I know my game is in the toilet. It's similar to pulling out the Hogan Radials and playing a round with those... or a 5 club challenge for that matter.

Of the half dozen courses I play on a regular basis, I know there are going to be holes where bogey is a good score - and I can 100% enjoy that kind of golf.

I'll never understand the need to have others tell you how to enjoy the game. I played from tees that were too difficult the other day because I wanted the challenge. The thing is, there was no confusion as to why I struggled.

If I play from 4600 yards enough times, I will eventually shoot my lowest score and it'll be enjoyable. But a DB from shorter tees can bring every bit as much frustration as not reaching a par 4 in 2 on a longer course.

There's something rewarding about playing a longer course and shooting a lower-than-average differential. That doesn't mean I'd attempt that when the course is busy or when I know my game is in the toilet. It's similar to pulling out the Hogan Radials and playing a round with those... or a 5 club challenge for that matter.

Of the half dozen courses I play on a regular basis, I know there are going to be holes where bogey is a good score - and I can 100% enjoy that kind of golf.
I don’t think anyone is telling anyone anything, it’s just a recommendation. You are free to play the tees you want that give you the most enjoyment. I like having the chance to par or birdie every hole. YMMV!

I don’t think anyone is telling anyone anything, it’s just a recommendation. You are free to play the tees you want that give you the most enjoyment. I like having the chance to par or birdie every hole. YMMV!
My question wasn’t what brings you or anyone else the most enjoyment in golf. It was how could someone not know if distance was preventing them from enjoying it? Wouldn’t that eventually be self-evident?
Rhetorical question I suppose since the USGA needs to publish guidelines.

Good luck at the range!

Not good. First thing I noticed was that the range was still a little soft from some recent rains here in North OC, CA. Then I saw something I didn’t like. Brand new mats! Bouncing everything. Or was that me? Ha!
I’m playing the Maltby KE4 Max irons, which I thought had very little bounce. But geeeez! I think I added some smiles to those two year old range balls.

Did you get a 2 yr medical card? Around here it's like once you hit 64 they arbitrarily give people a one year card, regardless of your state of health. Thank God the State pays for mine..... stupid
I did, actually. My company pays for the exam. Hopefully should be retired before I have to renew my card...

Back