AverageJoe

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Anyone play one? Im going to experiment with one. Im seriously thinking about dropping my 4&5h and putting one in the bag. I already carry a 5&7w and enjoy hitting woods. My irons play 6 and up.

I know @ddec carried the Divine 9 for a bit. He also hit one of the best shots with a fairway wood I have ever seen with it.

I know @ddec carried the Divine 9 for a bit. He also hit one of the best shots with a fairway wood I have ever seen with it.

That club was crazy good for me. Effortless height and hit a distance gap I was looking for. Ball go high and land uber soft.

If, and when I purchase another golf club, it's going to be a 9W.

My 7W is my go to club for almost every situation I need help with. I suspect a 9W would be just as helpful.

I would most like retire my 5I to make room for it.

out of curiosity are you interested in hybrids if you like hitting woods, the hybrid might be easier to hit?
i know the B21 hybrids are pretty solid!

I have pondered one many times. The 5 hybrid is behaving right now so will keep rolling with it.

After getting into the the 7w this year and it being a game changer for me, I would not be opposed to a 9w. Definitely would like to try one.

OP what loft is your 9W?

out of curiosity are you interested in hybrids if you like hitting woods, the hybrid might be easier to hit?
i know the B21 hybrids are pretty solid!

I can hit my woods easier than I can my hybrids. I’m fairly consistent 5 wood and up.

After getting into the the 7w this year and it being a game changer for me, I would not be opposed to a 9w. Definitely would like to try one.

OP what loft is your 9W?

It hasnt arrived yet, it will be here later in the week. Its a used mavrik max @ 23*

I tried one, problem was it went almost as far as my 5wood... now with some fitting I am sure I could have made it work. I am pondering something around 9-11W as I try and figure out the bridge between 5I and the 7W I will now be carrying....

Think my current hybrid is going to go a little too far and I have started to develop some hook tendencies there... not sure if something else might fit better, but we will see.

My 7w is 20*

this is where it gets confusing. the 7W I have coming is 22*. pairing it with a 16* 4W, but think something either 23* hybrid/utility or 24* fairway wood, but that would be a real short fairway wood... so who knows, will be fun to search a little for.

So for your 9W you thinking 24* or something different?

this is where it gets confusing. the 7W I have coming is 22*. pairing it with a 16* 4W, but think something either 23* hybrid/utility or 24* fairway wood, but that would be a real short fairway wood... so who knows, will be fun to search a little for.

So for your 9W you thinking 24* or something different?

23*

I carried a Divine 9 several years ago - It was about an inch shorter than standard to make it more consistent with a heavier graphite shaft than my usual - for me, that's about 70g. It can be a weapon.

For some reason, I've shied away from anything above a 5 wd recently. In the gap between 5 wd and 5i, is where I am still uncomfortable. I have a PXG 4H that I hit well off the deck but horribly off the tee. Something to work on.

OP what loft is your 9W?

Now you got me thinking! I‘m definitely more partial to woods.

The only thing that has prevented me from doing this is the need to have a club that is easier to hit from the rough and a poor lie. I almost like having my 3/4h and heaven wood be similar in distance but used for different lies. There is definitely a slight difference in yardage but it is a similar use club just used for different lies. Al things being equal I would probably go 7W cranked up or 9w down after my heavenwood instead of the 4h.

The only thing that has prevented me from doing this is the need to have a club that is easier to hit from the rough and a poor lie. I almost like having my 3/4h and heaven wood be similar in distance but used for different lies. There is definitely a slight difference in yardage but it is a similar use club just used for different lies. Al things being equal I would probably go 7W cranked up or 9w down after my heavenwood instead of the 4h.

Im wondering about the rough myself but I think. 9w should be able to get through it pretty easy. If not I’ll hit a 7i out and go from there.

Im wondering about the rough myself but I think. 9w should be able to get through it pretty easy. If not I’ll hit a 7i out and go from there.
Yeah, I had this thought my last round. I was 210 out and would have hit the HW normally. But the lie was terrible so I hit the 4h. Duffed it and would have been better punching out of the lie with a 7i. That shot got me re-thinking about this.

I play an Epic Flash 7w which is 21* lofted up to 23* so essentially the same as a Flash 9w loft.
I also play and Epic Flash 11w which is 25*. A year ago if I played these I would have laughed at myself as hybrids used to be the best part of my game.

My main reason for switching to them is I kinda got tired of hitting low snap hooks with my 3 and 4 hybrids.
Also being shorter at 5' 4" I got tired of getting 3 and 5 woods and having to lop off an inch or two to make them manageable for me length wise. Then that would throw the swing weight off.

These I can play pretty much at full length since they are 42" and 41" respectively. Also the 65g shaft seems to fit me pretty well. nice balance of distance and dispersion for me.

There is a par 3 uphill that I play often that has a bunker in front and usually with a head wind. When the tees are back it makes it a 175 yd forced carry and I had trouble with carrying that with my 4h. With the 7w or 11w I can usually cover that pretty easily. So they definitely launch higher than the hybrids they replaced.

Adjustable 9w on the market that isn’t a G410 hybrid?

I used to play with a guy that had an 11 wood but it was not a core brand but a component head (I think they were Bang). This guy was a pretty good golfer like around a 12 and carried just woods and wedges.

I used to play with a guy that had an 11 wood but it was not a core brand but a component head (I think they were Bang). This guy was a pretty good golfer like around a 12 and carried just woods and wedges.

My dad used to have a Nike 11 wood. That thing was so crazy versatile for him that I used to just call it his everything club. Fairway, rough, bunkers, greenside....it didn't matter. It was kind of awesome to be honest.

The Divine 9 isn't exactly a 9wd, though, right? Isn't it the length of a 5wd and the loft of a 9wd?

The Divine 9 isn't exactly a 9wd, though, right? Isn't it the length of a 5wd and the loft of a 9wd?

GBB was 41.5 inches long. The newest big bertha 9 wood is sub 41". So not exactly.

There was some misinformation when the GBB D9 was released. In the press release for it, it said it was 42 inches. However on their spec sheet it was listed at 41.5. Back when I reviewed it, I checked with multiple sources at Callaway to confirm because that was part of the club story that I wanted to be accurate.

Back