The ball “rollback” option...

jpgolf

“JP”
Reaction score
Handicap
Let’s say that the golf ball “rollback” can only be decided in one of these two ways... either 1) the “model local rule” goes into effect - meaning that the pros use a different ball... or, 2) driver heads have to be no larger than 400cc to be “legal”... for everyone - from now on. Which one of these 2 options would you go with...?

Personally... I think I would choose to go with the smaller driver head. I just don’t like the “model local rule” thing. Although... I think the pros would eventually get their distances up to about where they are now.

Option #1.

I am not a professional, so why should I be held to the same standard equipment/ball as a professional. There is 0% chance of me EVER overpowering a golf course, unless it is mini-golf.

I play for fun, and could give two dumps what a governing body thinks I should play.

I dislike the separate rules for different players. I'd vote for the smaller driver head.

I would say driver's have to be 400cc and I would just play an illegal driver. I feel like if they roll back the ball for the pros, we'll all end up having to play it anyway because companies will put all of their r&d into the pro-ball.

The ball for the pros. Why in Earth would I choose the one that negatively impacts me?

My first choice is that they'd butt out and leave it completely alone, but of the two choices I'd prefer the model local rule - but either way I'd play non-conforming equipment if it ever came to the point that it affected me.

Option 1 because making the game harder for amateurs is dumb.

Option 2 because I’m scared to hit driver right now and only using my 3 wood anyway 🥴

Smaller driver head.

I would take up pickleball.

If I HAVE to pick one, I'm taking the smaller driver head.

It’s a professional golf washed up old golfer “problem”, not the folks that play the other 360 days of the year. Actually, it’s a golfer formally known as Jack Nicklaus problem. I don’t give a rats behind if a tournament is 30 under.

Neither.

From an equal standpoint I would say the smaller driver head if that's the solution.

I would rather have everything being uniform and if that means a smaller driver head that is what it is.

WOW! Require every golfer to buy a new $500 driver that regular amateurs will find harder to hit??? That sounds like a great way to kill the sport. Plus at the end of the day, I suspect this would go the way of the wedge groove rule. Cost a lot of people a lot of money and in the end, make no discernable difference in how pros play.

I'd really be interested in one of the ball companies taking it upon themselves to manufacture a brand of "rolled-back" balls to some spec, ANY spec that they're thinking would work and let the world give it a go just for shizzengiggles. Somebody get some stones and make a product instead of the golf world just jabbering on about it for decades... it's only a fricken' golf ball.

Absent that, i'm fine with a smaller driver head as well...

WOW! Require every golfer to buy a new $500 driver that regular amateurs will find harder to hit??? That sounds like a great way to kill the sport. Plus at the end of the day, I suspect this would go the way of the wedge groove rule. Cost a lot of people a lot of money and in the end, make no discernable difference in how pros play.

But just think about how we could all help those struggling OEMs with more equipment purchases.

Let’s say that the golf ball “rollback” can only be decided in one of these two ways... either 1) the “model local rule” goes into effect - meaning that the pros use a different ball... or, 2) driver heads have to be no larger than 400cc to be “legal”... for everyone - from now on. Which one of these 2 options would you go with...?
I wish 3) stop making golf harder was an option!

Since it's not, I'd go with 1 and happily ignore the model local rule. That is assuming the OEMs continue to invest in multiple lines (something I am very concerned with).. that we all won't ultimately be forced into a rollback situation given the expense of maintaining and building multiple types for each ball

Neither. I can't hit the ball 200 yards now as it is so a smaller driver head would only make me sad. And I don't compete so a different ball. Pfft. Nope. Not doing that either

Doesn't matter to me. I won't acquiesce to any of their BS 'solutions' to this made up 0.01% problem UNLESS they first exhaust all the readily available common sense agronomy/course setup solutions that they're deliberately trying to ignore. Each and every one of these historic venues could easily make simple changes whenever the Tour plays them and just as easily undo such changes once they leave.

Doesn't matter to me. I won't acquiesce to any of their BS 'solutions' to this made up 0.001% problem UNLESS they first exhaust all the readily available common sense agronomy/course setup solutions that they're deliberately trying to ignore. Each and every one of these historic venues could easily make simple changes whenever the Tour plays them and just as easily undo such changes once they leave.
...and if they'd do it that way, it's not a problem that the other 99.999% of the golfing world would ever have to deal with.

#2 doesn't solve the perceived problem. It isn't just the driver and even if it was, the large size isn't really the main factor that let's a pro hit it a mile.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Back