The best shot of the round

Last hole of the evening yesterday, hit another good drive (300yd+) off the tee on the par 5 15th hole and was left with about 165yds to the middle of the green (over water with OB left and long)

Pulled 8i as I was swinging pretty well, started just right of the flag but it drew across it and spun a bit left when it landed as well - I was expecting it to be off the left edge of the green (you can't see all of the green due to the reeds around the hazard) but it was still on when we walked down to it
Left the eagle putt short, but tapped in for a birdie again

That is twice in the last 2 rounds now where I have had an eagle putt on that hole, so hopefully I can convert one soon

6 iron from 187 to 8 inches for kick in eagle or my pitch shot from over the green hole out for my other eagle of the day.

I got out for 9 with four buddies after work. Very much a social round. On a 140 yard par 3 I hit a nice high tee shot directly in line with the flag. The guys were going crazy expecting a HIO that kept looking better and better, but it stopped 8 inches short of the cup for a kick in birdie.

Lots of quality shots today, so it seems only fitting that today's BSOTR is a series. Par 5 tee shot 290 yards to the left hand side of the fairway (a long drive for me). 220 yard fairway metal to just short of the apron, and an up and down for birdie.

2nd shot on the 18th hole after a shorter than desired tee shot...3W between two trees that left my a sand wedge (which i chipped to 15ft)...what made it best was telling my playing partner that i figure the 5i punch is the safe play but "f**k that...it's the 18th hole and birdies are afoot." then hammering that 3W...

Had a bunch today but the best was my approach on 7 at Torrey north. It’s a drivable par 4 and was playing 280 to the pin. Popped up my drive and landed in the left rough on a hill which is the last place you want to miss. Had 105 to the pin in some thick rough standing on the slope with the ball well below my feet. Hit a perfect sand wedge to about 100 right into the huge slope in the green and rolled it to 1ft for a tap in birdie. That shot really got me fired up and got me on a hot streak.

20210913_135614.jpgScreenshot_20210913-135838_TheGrint.jpg20210913_135743.jpg

Good drive on the first par 5 today into the wind. Then lasered the pin at 169. Plays a few downhill, bit more than that back again into the wind today. So a little 8i seemed good to keep the spin down and hit that number. And it was. :D

A few darts thrown on Saturday, but Sunday was my best bunker shot ever. A good drive left me 190 into a par 5. Of course I swing too hard and hit my iron fat right into a sand trap leaving me 70 yards into a green sitting 15 feet above me. I am not a good bunker player, but I hit my SW to 4 inches. Tap in birdie. Danced to the next tee!

1631625536604.png

I knew I was going to have a good ball-striking round on Saturday, and that was true. Short game failed me a little bit, so the 78 with only one birdie was disappointing.

Anyway, I had a 256-yd 2nd shot, into a slight breeze, on our #10 par-5. I had to immediately miss a shrub that was on my right (the shrub surrounds a tree right in the middle of the fairway). That meant I had to play a fade to reach the green. About 150 yards ahead and on the left was a huge pine tree that overhung the fairway. Between the shrub and that tree, I had to hit a fade on a very narrow line to miss both. I hit a perfect, high cut that found the front of the green. I went on to 3-putt from 60' for a disappointing par :/

I hit a wedge to 3 feet to get a much needed birdie in a team competition

A combo of 5 wood to 95 yards then my 60*, to 2.5 feet on a tough hole. 2nd toughest hole on the scorecard

I guess you know you are putting well when you drop a 30-foot putt for birdie on the 7th hole and the reaction from your playing partners is "It's about time one of those dropped."

20210915_120254.jpg

Real good 7i into number 4 to go -3 on a hot start.

A sharp turning almost 90 degree par 4 dogleg that was 257 to center green. Of course thats the yardage in a straight line from tees over trees that sit nearer to green. Its not often I go or this and usually play the hole to the dogleg corner. If you hit the trees there there is a creek underneath and its basically a weeds mess so it can be costly. . But i was on fire with my driver today (too bad nothing else worked as well...lol).

But anyway and so I went for it and hit a beauty over the late trees. Not only did I get over the trees expecting to be in fw near enough the apron (which is the usualy go for it landing place (and not the green per say) but I actually greened (front green) the darn thing on the fly (which I didnt expect given thats a heck of a carry for me I usually dont reach) But I smashed the darn thing with extra mojo on this one specific sweat shot. And bamm! a big pitch mark (small crater like...lol). Missed the eagle putt to tap in for the bird. :)

I'm torn. The best single shot of the round was probably a fairway metal off of hardpan, through a small opening between two trees and under their limbs. A rocket that thread the needle and left me in the middle of the fairway 100 yards out on this par 5 and set up a birdie. I had a playing partner over there with me and when I hit the shot he had a one word reaction. "Wow!"

But the best shot of this round was no doubt chipping. I made 11/12 up and downs today and all but one of those made up and downs were chips around the green, many inside of 1 foot, and the vast majority inside of 2 feet. So chipping saved my bacon.

Was hoping for the bunker vs. the rough when I turned over a hybrid approach into a long par 5 - knew I was going to be above the hole with a hard and fast green and the pin in a tough spot. Regretted wishing for it when I saw the lie. Managed to throw it out at the end of the ridge right where I wanted though to give it a chance to simmer before coming down towards the hole. Easy birdie, and a shot I probably couldn't do better with a LOT of tries.

Last edited:
Nearly holed a 7i downhill from 180! It was a blind shot and the ball hit 15 feet in front of the hole before breaking left and skirting just past the hole.
4090D13B-2452-420C-A257-12397A52B0F8.jpeg

On the par 5 9th at Torrey Pines for me. Hit a great 3 hybrid from 260 out on my second shot that ended up in the front bunker. The pin was playing tight to the bunker with almost no chance to get it close. I hit a perfect little shot that just cleared the lip by a few feet and rolled down the slope to 1 foot for a tap in birdie. I’m really bad out of the sand so I was ecstatic with that shot.

A couple of candidates today….coming off a birdie at 9, jacked up and smoked this drive.
b58cc17fa94c9ffc651b10a524ae732d.jpg

Then later I hit this 7i on a rope to 1’ to save a par after I hit my drive into the ****.
95ed837e15b0df66a715e7e3d7d8e038.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm excited about this one because it's been with a club that usually is inconstant. I've struggled hitting woods of the deck, spent time at the range this week and it payed off.

Dogleg left par 5. Hit 5w off the tee to the right side of the fairway.

Best shot was the next 5w. Almost perfect 223y shot pin high that the wind just pushed left of the green leaving an easy wedge to 5' and made my only birdie of the day.

Was consistently leaving 10-15' putts 2-3 feet short all day and this birdie felt good. Screenshot_20210918-165856.jpg

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Played the hardest hole on the course well today. It is a dogleg right with water on both sides of the FW. I hit my driver over and onto the right side of the FW. That left me 186 to the pin on an elevated green with bunkers in the front. I hit my 6 iron right at the pin and it stopped at 2 feet from the hole! Birdie putt was made!

Tournament on Saturday went well. My partner and I really did well on the back nine. Hole 11 stands out with a 40 foot putt for birdie. I have not made a putt that long in years.

1632148506239.png

Sunday was another good round. It has been a while since I birdied on the island:
1632148593944.png

20210920_130937.jpg

20210920_130946.jpg

I stuck approaches of 236 and 179 into par 5's today for eagles, and some other good stuff, but this was the best one. It's always about the wedges for me.

SM8 from 105y for a tap in birdie after getting the lone bogey of the round the hole before. Smart off the tee, controlled wedge, right back on track.

Back