The British and Irish Lions

El Bandito

Reaction score
Handicap
13 ish
Maybe something not that well known in the States, but today is the opening match of the Lions Tour. A touring Rugby team drawn from the four nations of England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland. The team are starting the the tour of Australia with a warm up match against another Rugby Institution, the Barbarians, a scratch invitation team famed for fast attacking Rugby. Match in Hong Kong.

The expectation is for the Lions to run out comfortable winners, against the Barbarians at least, but a Rugby Tour in Australia is one of the toughest assignments there is...

Its hard to explain, but for a home nations player, a lions place is the highest honour and for a Rugby fan, following at least one lions tour is a must do. In excess of 40,000 fans are expected to make the long trip from the UK and Ireland to Australia. A Lions squad is called together for a few weeks every four years and so is rarely as cohesive as its opposition, but when it clicks...it is magnificent.

They tour South Africa, Australia and New Zealand. The three giants of World Rugby.

if you like tough skilful sport...worth trying to watch what you can....

Lions in control. Interestingly, USA has two representatives in the Barbarians team. Both sets of players struggling with the heat and humidity.

Does anyone know if any of the matches are being shown anywhere in the States? I still have access to Sky Go via VPN, but I'd prefer to watch the matches on my big screen rather than my laptop. The Lions matches are always pretty special, but against the Aussies, it's that extra bit special!

Does anyone know if any of the matches are being shown anywhere in the States? I still have access to Sky Go via VPN, but I'd prefer to watch the matches on my big screen rather than my laptop. The Lions matches are always pretty special, but against the Aussies, it's that extra bit special!

Only thing I can find is 'Direct TV' whatever that might be???

Tapping away!

I see they beat the Barbar's and then they spanked an under strength force team. Good start to the tour with two wins.

I see they beat the Barbar's and then they spanked an under strength force team. Good start to the tour with two wins.
Yep. Shame that they forced the Babas game in, which led to Western Force having to field a weakened team. Not sure either game was what you need if you are going to take on the Aussies in their backyard. I take it the Kiwis are 'all red' for the duration?

Yep. Shame that they forced the Babas game in, which led to Western Force having to field a weakened team. Not sure either game was what you need if you are going to take on the Aussies in their backyard. I take it the Kiwis are 'all red' for the duration?

I think its all about the money now days. If they can just squeeze another game in on the way it will bring a few more dollars. I assume you mean by 'all red' you mean supporting the lions? Of course as they are playing the aussies.
The All Blacks have got the French for the next 3 weeks so looking forward to watching those.

I think its all about the money now days. If they can just squeeze another game in on the way it will bring a few more dollars. I assume you mean by 'all red' you mean supporting the lions? Of course as they are playing the aussies.
The All Blacks have got the French for the next 3 weeks so looking forward to watching those.

All depends which France turns up...the scoring machine or the the "ahyouknow,letsjusthaveadrink' France. I suspect you'll be too good for them either way, but it would be nice to see some quality tests.

Lions continue to win...but a hard fought one this time. 22 - 12. It's going to be a cracking first test.

The British and Irish Lions

Finally got to watch the first test match against the Aussies thanks to an awesome YouTube channel. What a game. The Lions were lucky, Australia had an awful game with the kicks. Can't wait for the next one!!!

Last edited:
Yesterday was a tough game. I'm not convinced in an all Welsh back line. If Australia could have kicked the game might have been over at half time

Not just because i'm Irish but the loss of Paul O'Connell is huge for the tour. His presence on and off the field as a leader is hard to argue with

That's made the 3rd and final test reeeeeal interesting!

Back