The Car Shopping Thread

40k for a Hyundai baffles me honestly. I know they have come a long way but the interior looks nice for 2 years then falls apart. My friends Sante Fe turbo he just traded in started having interior rattles, and all kinds of wear and its not even his only car. He has had his subaru forester for a lot longer and it just seems so much better built. He traded his Genesis 3.6 in after only a year he didn't like it. But with that warranty and how far they come they seem solid just not 40k solid.

$40k doesn't buy you as much as it once did. The price of new cars in general right now astounds me.

40k for a Hyundai baffles me honestly. I know they have come a long way but the interior looks nice for 2 years then falls apart. My friends Sante Fe turbo he just traded in started having interior rattles, and all kinds of wear and its not even his only car. He has had his subaru forester for a lot longer and it just seems so much better built. He traded his Genesis 3.6 in after only a year he didn't like it. But with that warranty and how far they come they seem solid just not 40k solid.

Have you spent much time in the Genesis sedan? It is definitely a 40K car. I know the nameplate doesn't say it, but the car itself with any other name plate would be more IMO.

$40k doesn't buy you as much as it once did. The price of new cars in general right now astounds me.

I guess my corporate discounts keep me happy but 40k is Acura TLX, Infiniti Q40/50, Nissan Maxima, Lexus IS, and that gets your a Taurus SHO. I would think I'd take any of those over a Hyundai.

I guess my corporate discounts keep me happy but 40k is Acura TLX, Infiniti Q40/50, Nissan Maxima, Lexus IS, and that gets your a Taurus SHO. I would think I'd take any of those over a Hyundai.

I'd bet you haven't spent time with the Genesis or the Equus. Go take a look at them and then get back to me if you will take a TLX, Maxima, etc. over them.

It's a much different level of a car than those cars. If you want a direct comparison you would more compar it to the RLX, or GS. It is a very different car form the Maxima or SHO.

Edit: It's not what I would buy for 40K ( I bought a 3 series), but if you value what it offers it is an absolute steal. The only downside to it at that price is the namplate IMO

I'd bet you haven't spent time with the Genesis or the Equus. Go take a look at them and then get back to me if you will take a TLX, Maxima, etc. over them.

I have the genesis granted its the older body style friend had the 3.6 or whatever it was. Equus I have not. I remember the Azera wasn't that great. Like I said earlier maybe its just me but 40k for a Hyundai seems odd. I guess I should look at the newest stuff. He did trade it on another Hyundai not sure which so I guess he likes them.

Wouldnt the Genesis be with the TLX and the Equus with the RLX Wake? Thats why I compared them. I'd think the Genesis, Q series from Inifiniti, and the TLX would be same class. Kind of mid upscale midsize.

They apparently really bumped up the interior quality when they increased the price. I'll report back after I test drive it.

I've seen the exterior in person - it's a sharp looking car. Agree on the price though.

It's all opinion, but I would put the Genesis up against most (if not all) of those.

It's a much different level of a car than those cars. If you want a direct comparison you would more compar it to the RLX, or GS. It is a very different car form the Maxima or SHO.

Edit: It's not what I would buy for 40K ( I bought a 3 series), but if you value what it offers it is an absolute steal. The only downside to it at that price is the namplate IMO

Also how is resale on Hyundai? I mean you spend 40k because they have upgraded but still with that nameplate and a lot of peoples perception how hard does your resale value take a hit. I am not trying to bash the cars at all I am just trying to wrap my head around a 40k car from Kia/Hyundai as opposed to Acura, Infiniti, and other brands.

I'm on my second Hyundai (Elantra now Sonata), and the dealership gave me a Genesis to drive around for a couple days last summer, and I just didn't understand the allure at that price point. After driving one for like 13 years now, I guess I am tired of the brand and ready to try something different.

They apparently really bumped up the interior quality when they increased the price. I'll report back after I test drive it.

I've seen the exterior in person - it's a sharp looking car. Agree on the price though.

I work across the street from a Hyundai dealership and I'll agree, very good looking both inside and out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Car Shopping Thread

Right now, I'm leaning towards either buying a used (2014 or 2013) Hyundai Genesis or leasing a new one.

I've never leased a car before, and I'm a little leery of the mileage restrictions/penalties, but I don't put a lot of miles on a car, and I'm intrigued by the idea of being free from a car in three years.

Any thoughts?.

I lease all of my cars except for the "weekend cars" that aren't driven much. It's financially superior to buying unless you hold a new car for a long time - 9-years or more.

When you do your comparisons be sure to include the cost of maintenance, new tires, brakes, a significant repair or two. Those are all costs of ownership of a car long-term. In most states you only pay sales tax on the cost of the lease, not the entire price of the entire car. That washes out long term, just make sure you get that right when you're comparing.

The other thing few people do is consider the cost of having money tied up in a car. Let's say you put $10k down on a car. That $10k is lost to you forever. If you were to invest instead it could be worth a lot of money to you one day. Quick example...stock market's historical avg return is 12%. If your 35 and expect to retire at 65, your $10k will be worth $320k at retirement age. Not kidding.

As others mentioned, there are good and bad deals in leasing just as in buying. Much of a good lease is made by OEM incentives, so watch the Sunday adds, etc... Another example...my wife drives a loaded Mercedes GLK for the same lease cost as a Mini Countryman, and $100 less than a Lincoln MKX. Right now you could possible lease a Mercedes C300 for less than a Genesis. It's all about the car's residual value and incentives in place at any given time.

If you lease a BMW or Volvo you never pay for maintenance . All is included and if you need a repair its covered under warranty and you get a free loaner for the day. Do your monthly payment is likely to be your only expense ever...accidents excepted. Free roadside assistance, free loader, predictable expense all has value.

All factors in the decision.

Buying used is a better financial outcome than buying new. Buying a new car and trading it in every few years is the worst thing to do financially.

The new Genesis is beautiful. Pictures don't do it justice, but in person, in the right colors , it's awesome.

One thing...if you go with a lease, watch the fees. OEMs add some inception fees and in some cases return fees. With M-B for instance, they write in a $600 fee upon return that is waived if you get another M-B, but charged if you don't. Dealers can strike them, so negotiate them out.

I lease all of my cars except for the "weekend cars" that aren't driven much. It's financially superior to buying unless you hold a new car for a long time - 9-years or more.

When you do your comparisons be sure to include the cost of maintenance, new tires, brakes, a significant repair or two. Those are all costs of ownership of a car long-term. In most states you only pay sales tax on the cost of the lease, not the entire price of the entire car. That washes out long term, just make sure you get that right when you're comparing.

The other thing few people do is consider the cost of having money tied up in a car. Let's say you put $10k down on a car. That $10k is lost to you forever. If you were to invest instead it could be worth a lot of money to you one day. Quick example...stock market's historical avg return is 12%. If your 35 and expect to retire at 65, your $10k will be worth $320k at retirement age. Not kidding.

As others mentioned, there are good and bad deals in leasing just as in buying. Much of a good lease is made by OEM incentives, so watch the Sunday adds, etc... Another example...my wife drives a loaded Mercedes GLK for the same lease cost as a Mini Countryman, and $100 less than a Lincoln MKX. Right now you could possible lease a Mercedes C300 for less than a Genesis. It's all about the car's residual value and incentives in place at any given time.

If you lease a BMW or Volvo you never pay for maintenance . All is included and if you need a repair its covered under warranty and you get a free loaner for the day. Do your monthly payment is likely to be your only expense ever...accidents excepted. Free roadside assistance, free loader, predictable expense all has value.

All factors in the decision.

Buying used is a better financial outcome than buying new. Buying a new car and trading it in every few years is the worst thing to do financially.

The new Genesis is beautiful. Pictures don't do it justice, but in person, in the right colors , it's awesome.

One thing...if you go with a lease, watch the fees. OEMs add some inception fees and in some cases return fees. With M-B for instance, they write in a $600 fee upon return that is waived if you get another M-B, but charged if you don't. Dealers can strike them, so negotiate them out.

I never thought of a lease but it does make sense. I am not planning on keeping my current car and with my new comute of 1.1 miles each way mileage should not be an issue. Hmm now you have me thinking.

The Car Shopping Thread

I never thought of a lease but it does make sense. I am not planning on keeping my current car and with my new comute of 1.1 miles each way mileage should not be an issue. Hmm now you have me thinking.

Leases can be tuned to mileage. If you drive that little, make sure your lease is tuned accordingly. Minimum might be something like 8k/year which will save you a good bit over say 15k miles/year.

Not your situation, but there is a point where driving a lot of miles makes a lease less attractive. I've never hit it, but it exists.

Leases can be tuned to mileage. If you drive that little, make sure your lease is tuned accordingly. Minimum might be something like 8k/year which will save you a good bit over say 15k miles/year.

Not your situation, but there is a point where driving a lot of miles makes a lease less attractive. I've never hit it, but it exists.

Brother in law hit it with his Acura Integra years ago. Those monthly trips from FL to NC killed him cost him a ton on turn in but that was his fault. Not really my brother in law but married my best friend growing up and she is like my sister.

Thanks man, I'm likely looking at models from 1997-2002. Any specific thing to look out for?
I cant recall if the 99-00 wranglers and grand cherokees shared the exact same heads in the 4.0 but for a period of time the grand cherokee had casting issues and a crack would appear between the 3&4cyl. At some point in 2000 they changed the casting and fixed that.

One dealer in St Cloud called, they have a white one coming in two weeks. I told them if it isn't spoken for I'll take it as long as it has DCC and NAV. She should be calling me back later today. Two other dealers have emailed me and should be calling me later today as well.

Edit: Another dealer called me, they have a limestone grey coming in in 10 days that wasn't spoken for and had no mark up. 90 Seconds into the phone call its mine. Guy said it was the easiest and quickest sale he's ever made. Thank god 4 of the days I'll be in Texas so the wait shouldn't be so bad.

Congrats on the R purchase!!! I was concerned about it being too small for me being that I had never sat in a Golf before and while they didn't bring an R to the car show in my city, I sat in a GTI. Unfortunately, the seat bolsters were too narrow for me to be comfortable in it. Not the best car for a large man. I did however fit nicely in the Audi S3 seat. That one just shot to the top of my list. I've read/watched a number of reviews on it now where the reviewers preferred the S3 to the CLA45 AMG. The power in the Golf R/Audi S3's engine is available much earlier in the rev range than the CLA45.

The Infiniti Q50 Hybrid was also impressive in person. So much awesome tech crammed into that one including 2 LCDs. The hybrid Q50 makes something like 360hp and a ton of torque.

Billygoat, not to mention that the CLA has a fugly rear end. :act-up:

Looking at Rav4's for the wife purchase towards mid summer is the plan. Finding something with comparable trunk/cargo space seems to be the issue.

We will buy since we do the hand me down car thing, so I'll take over the 09 corolla and then the RAV4 when she upgrades it.

The Genesis Coupé is a fantastic looking car! The 4 door, not so much, IMO.

Hoping to buy a new car this fall, so I'm starting to look around now. I'd like to get a smaller SUV like an Escape or CR-V, something that gives me room to move things and have two kids in the back seat (14 and 9) but won't kill me on gas mileage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't sleep on the Mazda CX-5. I absolutely love mine.

Don't sleep on the Mazda CX-5. I absolutely love mine.
Yiu think it would be a good car for a 16 year old? I have to start deciding on what to get my daughter?

The Car Shopping Thread

Yiu think it would be a good car for a 16 year old? I have to start deciding on what to get my daughter?

It drives well, it's not overpowered and it's comfortable. I shopped the Escape, CR-V, Rogue, RAV4 and it was the best all around vehicle.

Mazda also has a slightly smaller CX-3 coming to compete with the Soul and the Juke I would consider depending on your time frame.

It drives well, it's not overpowered and it's comfortable. I shopped the Escape, CR-V, Rogue, RAV4 and it was the best all around vehicle.
That sounds good for her. I will check it out. I already told her no on a convertible bug lol

I think it's finally time to put my old Infiniti out to pasture. I'm sure the $2.75 trade-in value will be well worth it, though.

Right now, I'm leaning towards either buying a used (2014 or 2013) Hyundai Genesis or leasing a new one.

I've never leased a car before, and I'm a little leery of the mileage restrictions/penalties, but I don't put a lot of miles on a car, and I'm intrigued by the idea of being free from a car in three years.

Any thoughts?

I'll probably test drive an older 5-Series just because it's cliche to do, but I'll be pretty shocked if I pull the trigger on one.

What Infiniti did you have? I went from an '08 G37S to a Sonata last spring because I couldn't go anywhere in the snow (not your problem in ATL though). I haven't had any issues driving the Hyundai so far, but it is definitely different!

Back