The Career Thread

Me too. I wanted to get into that and then the economy tanked so I stayed where I was at. In my next life I'm going to get into real estate sales and flipping.

The best part is the broker said I could start "part time". Since I have a weekend shift job (36 hours), I can keep my steady paycheck while I'm getting started.

The best part is the broker said I could start "part time". Since I have a weekend shift job (36 hours), I can keep my steady paycheck while I'm getting started.

That's what I was looking for also but never came across one. Good luck with this.

Isn't anyone on this forum happy with their career? :D

I love my job. I'm the luckiest lawyer on the planet. If it didn't involve travel, it would be perfect.

well, I guess the question was more of a "Are you in the court kind of guy dealing with huge murder cases?"

I do get time in court, but rarely for trials.

WHY?

WHY?

God I am at such a loss. I wonder how many dozens upon dozens of jobs I've applied to since I graduated a year and a half ago. Please, somebody, just give me a job. I'm smart enough, a hard worker, I haven't missed a day of work since that one bad cold I had in 2004 that ruined my perfect attendance streak. If you call my references, I bet you'll find that they really like me. I'd just like a real job where you go to work every day and don't make commission. Maybe the powers that be will hear if I'm devastated enough?

Thanks, have a good day.

God I am at such a loss. I wonder how many dozens upon dozens of jobs I've applied to since I graduated a year and a half ago. Please, somebody, just give me a job. I'm smart enough, a hard worker, I haven't missed a day of work since that one bad cold I had in 2004 that ruined my perfect attendance streak. If you call my references, I bet you'll find that they really like me. I'd just like a real job where you go to work every day and don't make commission. Maybe the powers that be will hear if I'm devastated enough?

Thanks, have a good day.

hey julie... sorry to hear of your troubles. have you considered a move to a better job market?

hey julie... sorry to hear of your troubles. have you considered a move to a better job market?

Been there, done that. Austin was #4 on the Forbes list.

Been there, done that. Austin was #4 on the Forbes list.

wow... I was not aware it was that high. I'd love a new job, but right now I'd rather have a bad job than no job at all. Hope you can find ways to make ends meet until you square yourself away.

I am just in a major pickle...

I work in finance, on the wrong side of course (operations) and would love to make the transition to management (the real money). My obvious passion is golf... I live, breathe, and eat this game. As for making it a career... I haven't the slighest clue what it would take to get a break into the industry.

I may just stick it out here... I'd just like more money. Money isn't everything but it would sure help.

Don't know at all what sort of job you want, but if it is just a job any job, I think you would make a great assistant in a law firm assuming you can type quickly (with all your practice here, I'm sure you do). I'm not in private practice any longer, but when I was at a big firm, I learned that legal secretary with an independent brain who can keep her assigned lawyers on track is an elusive gem. You would be a great find. The big firms often have these sorts of openings (Baker Botts, Vinson Elkins, Fulbright, Akin Gump all have Austin offices), you don't have to be trained in legal practice if you're not applying to be a legal assistant, they pay a reasonable salary plus health benefits, and you would likely meet an interesting combination of terrible, wonderful, and colorful people.

It's hard to offer specific advice obviously because I don't know what you're suited for or intersted in, but that thought just sort of sprung to life fully formed when reading your post, so I figured I might as well toss it out there. Maybe I should confine my remarks to "buck up, Julie, someone will certainly realize what a great asset you would be very soon."

I am just in a major pickle...

I work in finance, on the wrong side of course (operations) and would love to make the transition to management (the real money). My obvious passion is golf... I live, breathe, and eat this game. As for making it a career... I haven't the slighest clue what it would take to get a break into the industry.

I may just stick it out here... I'd just like more money. Money isn't everything but it would sure help.

I keep thinking I need to pick up a pro golfer or two as a client. Guess I gotta be perkier when I volunteer at tournaments!

It's stressful, I graduated college and got dropped into this... I got a job offer from putnam (earning 15K more a year) the week Lehman filed. After three interviews and a confirmation the offer was pulled back, frozen, then dropped.

One of Hubby's tennis buddies started last year at Bear Stearns. When they went under, he got picked up by Lehman. Next it was Barclays, on a 90 day contract. Not sure if he's still there.

The Kid's baseball coach had run U.S. equities for Lehman. The fellow had $200 million in restricted stock.

There's always someone worse off...

One of Hubby's tennis buddies started last year at Bear Stearns. When they went under, he got picked up by Lehman. Next it was Barclays, on a 90 day contract. Not sure if he's still there.

The Kid's baseball coach had run U.S. equities for Lehman. The fellow had $200 million in restricted stock.

There's always someone worse off...

man oh man... 200 million

I'm just looking for a small bonus!

Not any more. With 20 years on you, a family, a mortgage...

I wonder how that all works... is stock option the best way to make the MOST money because there is that level of mystery linked to performance?

Back