The continued demonization of golfers and weight training

Nevermind. I'm not engaging strawmen.

For Mark Rippetoe's discussion on core training...https://startingstrength.com/contentfiles/core_stability_rippetoe.pdf

I not only went to College for this, but was also a bodybuilder and a personal trainer. What you just said is that anyone who disagrees with this man's teachings can only do so because of a Strawman argument.

What you just linked has no science behind it. One man's opinions. Where are the scientific citations in what he says? Hard to take what he says seriously with absolutely no academic background whatsoever in what he is talking about.

If you read what you linked, it's all about the Hammer and Nail analogy. Again, much more to health, fitness and nutrition than just a hammer and nails.

Good luck with your training.

Well this took an interesting turn :bulgy-eyes:

giphy.gif

I want to lighten the mood by making a Kiradech Aphibarnrat reference. Wait, I just did. Nevermind.

I think a person with any sort of athletic ability should be able to swing at 100 mph.
you really think so? I mean I don't claim to know that answer, but it seems to me not anyone with some athletic ability would do that. Imo it takes a fluidness and good tempo but also importantly imo their body (and the way it moves) needs to be built in such a manor that just so happens to be better in sync with the task of swinging golf club. One cane be athletic at one thing (or task) and yet not so much at all at a different one.

I also don't in general believe that athleticism makes one better at golf or not. To be fair you didn't mention being good at golf but only mention to swing 100mph. But still Im not at all convinced anyone with some athleticism could swing 100 due to the reasons I gave above.

you really think so? I mean I don't claim to know that answer, but it seems to me not anyone with some athletic ability would do that. Imo it takes a fluidness and good tempo but also importantly imo their body (and the way it moves) needs to be built in such a manor that just so happens to be better in sync with the task of swinging golf club. One cane be athletic at one thing (or task) and yet not so much at all at a different one.

I also don't in general believe that athleticism makes one better at golf or not. To be fair you didn't mention being good at golf but only mention to swing 100mph. But still Im not at all convinced anyone with some athleticism could swing 100 due to the reasons I gave above.

I don't remember whether I actually quoted one of your earlier posts and said this or not, but while I'm a big proponent of fitness/strength training for golf, I think the biggest gains in clubhead speed and the like are going to be from technique for most people, which I think is where ntanygd is coming from here. Where I think general fitness/training is going to help the most is over the course of the round.

I don't remember whether I actually quoted one of your earlier posts and said this or not, but while I'm a big proponent of fitness/strength training for golf, I think the biggest gains in clubhead speed and the like are going to be from technique for most people, which I think is where ntanygd is coming from here. Where I think general fitness/training is going to help the most is over the course of the round.

Agree. I’ve added about 5mph over the last year thru working out and fixing the disconnect between arms and chest in the backswing and fixing my sequence and I’m in my mid 40s.

Agree. I’ve added about 5mph over the last year thru working out and fixing the disconnect between arms and chest in the backswing and fixing my sequence and I’m in my mid 40s.

when you say "disconnect" that means (I assume) timing and/or syncing the different body parts with the swing. That in itself could cost 5mph if out of sync. It would be really hard to say that the 5mph wouldn't have ben gained by fixing that separation/disconnect whether or not you worked out. I would think plenty people can work on staying in sync and removing disconnects or separation in their swing which would lead to 5mph increases on its own and they never work out.
Im not knocking the working out here but just questioning whether or not its really a main factor in your extra 5mph especially when you did have a separation going on which would hurt tempo and timing and of course speed.

when you say "disconnect" that means (I assume) timing and/or syncing the different body parts with the swing. That in itself could cost 5mph if out of sync. It would be really hard to say that the 5mph wouldn't have ben gained by fixing that separation/disconnect whether or not you worked out. I would think plenty people can work on staying in sync and removing disconnects or separation in their swing which would lead to 5mph increases on its own and they never work out.
Im not knocking the working out here but just questioning whether or not its really a main factor in your extra 5mph especially when you did have a separation going on which would hurt tempo and timing and of course speed.

The disconnect is a physical separation/disconnect of my arms from my chest. Arms especially the lead arm (in my case the left arm) gets away from my body which affects path/plane and in some cases sequencing.

The sequencing part is a separate issue as I have a tendency to be quick at the top going into my transition. Working on these two issues I was seeing a small increase of 1-3mph on trackman over the course of several lessons.

The 5mph is more of an average. In several fittings this year I’ve had increased of 5-7 mph over my the initial 1-3mph increase.

Jus t to clarify when I said working out it was a generic term. I’ve been focused on strength training and not just going to the gym to workout which can be many different things that don’t necessarily add strength or accomplish much depending on what the workout entails or focused on. I’ve been more focused on strength training and while I don’t doubt that the improved swing mechanics have played a role in the added speed I also believe getting stronger helps because I can maintain endurance over he course of the round as well as proper swing mechanics from address thru follow thru.

I know a couple others who have added speed thru strength training, including one guy who has a fundamentally solid swing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back