The Fitting Room - Callaway Golf Apex Combo Sets

I'm pretty on board with the idea of trying OL LTDx.

But things change :LOL:
Really, its a blessing and a curse with equipment now a days. So much great stuff out there that you don't have to sacrifice in any area to get a great set. On the other hand, there's so many you can't possibly try them all!

Really, its a blessing and a curse with equipment now a days. So much great stuff out there that you don't have to sacrifice in any area to get a great set. On the other hand, there's so many you can't possibly try them all!
* @OldandStiff has entered the chat *

:ROFLMAO:

Here's a link to the options for more visuals. If you scroll down a bit you'll find the combo sets.

Initially I thought triple play...but visually I think I'm more of a sweet spot guy.

Initially I thought triple play...but visually I think I'm more of a sweet spot guy.
Sweet Spot definitely looks like a fun set. The Pros in 8-PW have an appeal.

Sweet Spot definitely looks like a fun set. The Pros in 8-PW have an appeal.

Yes, I agree with this 100%. I'd extend them into the AW too. The pros are just NICE!

Yep! So, true! Not sure how many sets they sold, but they really should have sold a bunch. @vgolfman is such an awesome guy. Pretty cool all the effort Callaway went into for the golfer with these sets.
Obviously I can't divulge how many of the various sets we've sold, but they have been a big hit with consumers and fitters alike. And we appreciate the love and feedback.

Absolutely love my Apex 21’s! Love love love Callaway!

Obviously I can't divulge how many of the various sets we've sold, but they have been a big hit with consumers and fitters alike. And we appreciate the love and feedback.
Can you say which of the combo sets has been most popular @vgolfman ?

Just bought a set of the triple play with MMT95S shaft +1 on lie and +1/4 longer. So glad that Callaway did such a great job giving us the ability to blend these sets. Custom tooling so we can have the best of all worlds is just awesome. Thanks @vgolfman for your insights over the past few months on these. Got everything confirmed and dialed with performance data confirmed by a knowledgeable fitter Now, it'll be on to the Rogue ST driver this year @xThor...

Just bought a set of the triple play with MMT95S shaft +1 on lie and +1/4 longer. So glad that Callaway did such a great job giving us the ability to blend these sets. Custom tooling so we can have the best of all worlds is just awesome. Thanks @vgolfman for your insights over the past few months on these. Got everything confirmed and dialed with performance data confirmed by a knowledgeable fitter Now, it'll be on to the Rogue ST driver this year @xThor...

you’re going to love them!!!!

you’re going to love them!!!!

I am excited! Finally found what I needed to get those Speedblades out of the bag and have graphite iron shafts. Well worth the wait. The versatility I will get with this set is going to be unreal. Not sure if I am more excited about the irons, or playing a round with you this year @xThor. Maybe both :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

As an aside Callaway Customer Service is just amazing. We worked together to ensure all materials were in stock, checked lead times and found a way to get what I needed on a grip with what was in stock until I can get what I need later and helped with my trade in. They'll be here in 2 weeks at the longest. This is one of the many reasons why I am so loyal to Callaway golf. They just understand customer service and provide us with outstanding equipment.

Dude, can't wait to hear how these play for you! That set is 🔥🔥🔥🔥

I relistened to this podcast again this morning. I remembered listening to it on Callaway's website last year. I do miss Nate Adelman and the fitting room. Some of the reasons why I am excited about the triple play are listed below. @vgolfman Can you answer me a question? I know that the tooling is different for some of the irons for the different combos. I also know that changing loft/lie has an affect on bounce. Are the bounces set differently for the Apex21 or Apex Pro for the triple play combo? I believe it's just the Apex Pro, but wasn't sure.

1. I was able to use taper tip graphite MMT shaft in this set. I really liked the taper tip MMT over the parallel tip. I don't believe that is an option for standard DCB and Apex21. This was important to me. (I could be wrong about this though as I thought that is what I understood from hearing it on the podcast). When we went through the build online I asked for the taper tip MMT95S and those remarks were put onto the build sheet)
*edit* See @vgolfman post below on corrections

2. I am very excited about the distance and forgiveness I am going to get out of the 4 & 5i with the DCB. I think I should be able to get rid of hybrids now and even give me a chance to use a long iron off the tee (the DCB 4i). We shall see how that goes this year.

3. I like the fact that the Apex21 actually has a weaker 9i loft than what you'll find in the the Apex21's in general. (Apex21 is 38.5*, Apex21 in Sweet Spot set is 39* and Apex21 in Triple Play is 39*). I know a 1/2* isn't much, but I do like the fact that the 9i weaker for angle of descent purposes. The lofting is VERY close to my original irons. Actually the 7i is the exact same (Apex21 vs Speedblade), but I was definitely 7+ yards longer for sure, with a better descent angle (steeper) than what I had before.

4. I really liked the pros during the fitting, but I wanted more forgiveness. My dispersion wasn't as tight with the pro than it was with the Apex21. I do like a blade type wedge, so having the Apex Pro for the PW and AW is a very nice compromise to get more technology in my lower lofted wedges, but still getting plenty of spin to help attack greens. This helped eliminate the Mixed Set and the Sweet Spot TBH. I didn't want the 8 and 9i to be the Pro (Mixed set), and I wanted the Pro for the PW, AW (not available in Sweet Spot).

5. There are just SOOO many options available to you with the forged iron sets. This can't be overstated. With 5 different Apex irons you can definitely have a standard set that works for you, or a custom set (Sweet Spot, Mixed, Triple Play or Players). The way these were crafted and blended really gives you the ability to compliment your game in a way that works best for you.

After a few conversations we were able to determine that the Triple Play fit me the best. Hopefully that translates to better scores on the course. I know these are "last year's model" per se, but they definitely need to be something you look at especially if you are a tweener in terms of what types of clubs you may need across the iron set.

Last edited:
Just got a shipping notification on the Triple Play today. Placed the order on the 28th of Feb and said 3-4 weeks online. I called Callaway CS and a rep placed the order for me and worked their magic. He indicated he thought it would be 5 to 7 business days not 3-4 weeks. A 5 business day turn around is awesome! Going to be a great birthday present for me this weekend!

I relistened to this podcast again this morning. I remembered listening to it on Callaway's website last year. I do miss Nate Adelman and the fitting room. Some of the reasons why I am excited about the triple play are listed below. @vgolfman Can you answer me a question? I know that the tooling is different for some of the irons for the different combos. I also know that changing loft/lie has an affect on bounce. Are the bounces set differently for the Apex21 or Apex Pro for the triple play combo? I believe it's just the Apex Pro, but wasn't sure.

1. I was able to use taper tip graphite MMT shaft in this set. I really liked the taper tip MMT over the parallel tip. I don't believe that is an option for standard DCB and Apex21. This was important to me. (I could be wrong about this though as I thought that is what I understood from hearing it on the podcast). When we went through the build online I asked for the taper tip MMT95S and those remarks were put onto the build sheet)

2. I am very excited about the distance and forgiveness I am going to get out of the 4 & 5i with the DCB. I think I should be able to get rid of hybrids now and even give me a chance to use a long iron off the tee (the DCB 4i). We shall see how that goes this year.

3. I like the fact that the Apex21 actually has a weaker 9i loft than what you'll find in the the Apex21's in general. (Apex21 is 38.5*, Apex21 in Sweet Spot set is 39* and Apex21 in Triple Play is 39*). I know a 1/2* isn't much, but I do like the fact that the 9i weaker for angle of descent purposes. The lofting is VERY close to my original irons. Actually the 7i is the exact same (Apex21 vs Speedblade), but I was definitely 7+ yards longer for sure, with a better descent angle (steeper) than what I had before.

4. I really liked the pros during the fitting, but I wanted more forgiveness. My dispersion wasn't as tight with the pro than it was with the Apex21. I do like a blade type wedge, so having the Apex Pro for the PW and AW is a very nice compromise to get more technology in my lower lofted wedges, but still getting plenty of spin to help attack greens. This helped eliminate the Mixed Set and the Sweet Spot TBH. I didn't want the 8 and 9i to be the Pro (Mixed set), and I wanted the Pro for the PW, AW (not available in Sweet Spot).

5. There are just SOOO many options available to you with the forged iron sets. This can't be overstated. With 5 different Apex irons you can definitely have a standard set that works for you, or a custom set (Sweet Spot, Mixed, Triple Play or Players). The way these were crafted and blended really gives you the ability to compliment your game in a way that works best for you.

After a few conversations we were able to determine that the Triple Play fit me the best. Hopefully that translates to better scores on the course. I know these are "last year's model" per se, but they definitely need to be something you look at especially if you are a tweener in terms of what types of clubs you may need across the iron set.
Yes, when we create different tooling for these combo sets, we look at all aspects of the club/specs, including bounce. Also, to clarify point 1 above, we can put taper tip shafts in all parallel hosels, but we can't/won't put parallel tip shafts in taper hosels.

Just got a shipping notification on the Triple Play today. Placed the order on the 28th of Feb and said 3-4 weeks online. I called Callaway CS and a rep placed the order for me and worked their magic. He indicated he thought it would be 5 to 7 business days not 3-4 weeks. A 5 business day turn around is awesome! Going to be a great birthday present for me this weekend!
So jealous, cause the triple play is 🔥🔥🔥!!

Can't wait for pictures, and more importantly, to hear how they play on the course! Enjoy!!

Yes, when we create different tooling for these combo sets, we look at all aspects of the club/specs, including bounce. Also, to clarify point 1 above, we can put taper tip shafts in all parallel hosels, but we can't/won't put parallel tip shafts in taper hosels.

@vgolfman thank you for that clarification on the tips. I wasn't 100% certain how it worked.

Look what I saw when I came back from putting practice! :callaway: CS does it again! Under promise over deliver!
20220308_122811.jpg

Look what I saw when I came back from putting practice! :callaway: CS does it again! Under promise over deliver!
View attachment 9072411
It's been 10 minutes, and no pictures yet...we need pictures!!

Only joking...kind of :p Can't wait to see these beauties!

20220308_123151.jpg
20220308_123201.jpg
20220308_123844.jpg20220308_123954.jpg20220308_124013.jpg20220308_124023.jpg

Last edited:
These irons are absolutely stunning. Can't wait to give them a go here VERY soon. I am still completely floored at the fact that Callaway CS took my order over the phone on the 28th in the afternoon and they were on my door step today. That is just unreal for a custom set. A big thank you to all those in the community who have helped me over the past few months in ironing out some of the details. I am really digging the tour velvet align in black and grey with the MMT shafts!

Back