The Golf Confessional - a safe place

When I was in high school I was playing in a tournament(I've been playing for a about a year at this point) and I hit a ball in a greenside bunker. I actually took a practice swing in it and the two guys on the other team called me out on it. I thought they were just making it up until my teammate took their side. It was so embarrassing. I don't know how I didn't know that you couldn't ground your club in a bunker, and how our golf coach didn't tell us that(I guess he just assumed everybody knew). But yeah till this day it's probably my most embarrassing moment on the course.

I was playing in a two man best ball tournament with a friend from my high school golf team when I was about 30, about 30 years ago. On an uphill par 4 with a blind-from-the-tee landing area in the middle portion of the round, I hit my approach on the green, and then from pretty near me one player on the other team hit his approach on the green about two inches from my ball. I arrived at the green first, and because the fourth player was chipping to the green on the same line, I marked both of the balls that were two inches apart. I noticed they were both Titleist 4's, but didn't think anything about it. Then the guy whose ball I marked came on the green and said he thought I hit his ball in the fairway to the green, and that I marked both balls to cover that fact. He wanted to charge me the penalty for hitting a wrong ball. I didn't mention that if that was so, he had also played a wrong ball and incurred a penalty. I just said (truthfully) that I was pretty certain I had played the right ball. Fortunately both of our partners parred the hole (my partner sank an incredible breaking 15 footer to do it) to make the whole argument moot, but to this day I still wonder if I did indeed play the wrong ball.

I was playing in a two man best ball tournament with a friend from my high school golf team when I was about 30, about 30 years ago. On an uphill par 4 with a blind-from-the-tee landing area in the middle portion of the round, I hit my approach on the green, and then from pretty near me one player on the other team hit his approach on the green about two inches from my ball. I arrived at the green first, and because the fourth player was chipping to the green on the same line, I marked both of the balls that were two inches apart. I noticed they were both Titleist 4's, but didn't think anything about it. Then the guy whose ball I marked came on the green and said he thought I hit his ball in the fairway to the green, and that I marked both balls to cover that fact. He wanted to charge me the penalty for hitting a wrong ball. I didn't mention that if that was so, he had also played a wrong ball and incurred a penalty. I just said (truthfully) that I was pretty certain I had played the right ball. Fortunately both of our partners parred the hole (my partner sank an incredible breaking 15 footer to do it) to make the whole argument moot, but to this day I still wonder if I did indeed play the wrong ball.

I'm betting you now put an identifying mark on your ball now?

I'm betting you now put an identifying mark on your ball now?

You know it!!!! :thumb: A dot in a dimple on both sides of the number is my mark.

Playing in a scramble just after I had picked up the clubs since my teen years, I had a shot out of fluffy rough. Since I was by far and away the worst of the group, I was up first and promptly got WAY under the ball and sent it about 10 feet behind me. Mortified, I turned around and one of the other guys said "well, I know for sure we won't be using HIS shot".

OK - two first tournament stories:

Teeing off in my first high school tournament and I was super nervous. Hit my drive right and out of bounds. Had to wait for the rest to tee off, hit my 3rd again OB right, my 5th went left into the trees, I get to the ball I see that the trees were planted about a 2 feet apart and it's unplayable with no line of sight behind the ball so I had to come all the way back to the tee for my 7th shot.This time I took a 5-iron and FINALLY hit the fairway, RAN to my ball and finished the hole with a 12 - SO embarrassing!

The summer before my senior year in high school I played in my first local Men's tournament. Of course there are a bunch of people watching and the first hole is a par 5, so I'm going to impress them with a monster drive. I'm first up, take a mighty lash and hit under the ball so much it BARELY hits the top of the face, goes straight up and lands about 25 feet in front of me on the tee box. Once again, I have to wait for everyone to finish and then hit 3-wood for my second off the tee box - which I pulverized but it was still a head shaker. I DID get up and down for par, but nobody that was watching at the tee saw that part ...
:embarrassed:

Hate to admit it but a few years ago I "duck hooked" my drive off of the tee and hit the beer cart girl in the opposite fairway.

I took my buddies marker before he had putted during a round, we both looked around for it. I was so embarrassed Hahaha

Back