The Great Split - relaunching or recreating (or killing) the NCAA

I think it's a tough thing to recreate, but changes are likely necessary.

The thing that makes it really tough is how to deal with the majority of sports that are not huge draws (like football, or basketball). The money is different, and always has been for those sports. At least in the current model, all of the other sports benefit from the bigger sports. Then there are the differences between DI, DII, DIII, NAIA, etc....

I think it's a tough thing to recreate, but changes are likely necessary.

The thing that makes it really tough is how to deal with the majority of sports that are not huge draws (like football, or basketball). The money is different, and always has been for those sports. At least in the current model, all of the other sports benefit from the bigger sports. Then there are the differences between DI, DII, DIII, NAIA, etc....
Get rid of all of them and make them club events.

This. The artificial age limits in the pro leagues are the issue. And the NFL using the college system as a defacto minor league. If the kids are good enough, let them go get paid, don’t force them into college.

Yeah i'm all for it. Like the NBA with the G league for example.

I mean, college in general is one big giant unpaid internship for basically any profession lol....The main issue with sports is that coaches, administrators and other are making millions off these kids, and recent Heisman winners have admitted to driving Ubers to afford to eat. That seems wrong.

Unfortunately sometimes we tend to massively overcorrect and create a bunch of new problems. LOL

Get rid of all of them and make them club events.
That may ultimately be the result for many of the sports and the lesser Divisions,

They serve no purpose at all anymore anyway
The Mens Basketball Tournament and its billion dollars per year revenue for the NCAA provides incentive to try to remain relevant.

The NCAA is done. They exploited kids for years and the minute the athletes took some of the power (money) out of the NCAA coffers, you knew something like this was going to happen.

You can try to recreate it for the non football sports, but where football is concerned, they are better off making one big conference and the best teams make the playoffs each year.

The Mens Basketball Tournament and its billion dollars per year revenue for the NCAA provides incentive to try to remain relevant.
And they don’t deserve that money.

That can be done, without them.

It’s past time for the NCAA to die.
John Cena GIF by Kids' Choice Awards

Back