I use TheGrint to keep my handicap. Previously used it for on course shot tracking and GPS, but just installed Arccos sensors. I’d definitely recommend it for a variety of reasons from the GPS app to official handicap and stat tracking.

I use the Grint.

A lot. The shot tracking and data availability within the app is very useful to me.

I use grint! I don't often us the gps due to rangefinder.

Relatively new to the Grint, but signed up mostly for the official handicap. I like the app and like the stats, but I'm still working on what exactly is the best way to apply them to my game improvement. With that said, since the pro version is like $5 more per year than a regular handicap, I find it useful I suppose.

The advanced shot tracking is a pain in the ass to get used to, honestly. It's so worth it though from a game analysis/improvement standpoint. I bitched and moaned about it not being very intuitive on course, and then finally committed myself to just doing it, and it was one of the best decisions I've made. After a while it's just like anything new in golf. When you first start you feel rushed and some veteran is asking you why you don't already have your glove on, or your yardage figured out already, etc, and pretty soon all that stuff is such habit you don't even realize you're doing it, and the people that are less efficient with it annoy you.

I use the Grint. Initially got it for handicapping purposes, and now I use it for GPS and will be starting to add the shot tracking to hopefully improve my game.

The advanced shot tracking is a pain in the ass to get used to, honestly. It's so worth it though from a game analysis/improvement standpoint. I bitched and moaned about it not being very intuitive on course, and then finally committed myself to just doing it, and it was one of the best decisions I've made. After a while it's just like anything new in golf. When you first start you feel rushed and some veteran is asking you why you don't already have your glove on, or your yardage figured out already, etc, and pretty soon all that stuff is such habit you don't even realize you're doing it, and the people that are less efficient with it annoy you.

And I think thats the main reason why I've never really used the shot tracking. I don't want to be the one holding up play. I know I just need to come up with an efficient way to track shots and maintain pace of play. Maybe I'll stop helping the other people in my group find their balls so much.....lol

even though i've fully bought into the grint, i still think TM's myroundpro has the easiest shot tracking.

I recently started using The Grint. We use it for our weekly skins game. It has real time leaderboard. I don’t use it any other time though since I have Arccos for shot tracking, gps and scoring.

I recently started using The Grint. We use it for our weekly skins game. It has real time leaderboard. I don’t use it any other time though since I have Arccos for shot tracking, gps and scoring.
There are some good connected features like that. I follow some guys scoring that I'm grint friends with live as they're playing.

Last edited:
And I think thats the main reason why I've never really used the shot tracking. I don't want to be the one holding up play. I know I just need to come up with an efficient way to track shots and maintain pace of play. Maybe I'll stop helping the other people in my group find their balls so much.....lol
The big thing while you get good at it is just to already have it out and running when you get to your ball/the tee so the gps is up and ready, and then it's just a couple scrolls/taps and go. If I'm busy doing something else, or someone needs my help, especially when I'm on the green, I'll just open it up and set it by my ball while I go do that. There are little ways to speed the whole thing up, but you just can't get good at doing it if you never use it.

Honestly, it's kind of blowing my mind right now that I've never made a video of me using the shot tracking on course before. Might need to do that next Live Round.

I have tried the pay versions of hole19, golfshot pro and the front. I have also looked at SwingU but haven't tried the pay version there.

I'm a stats nerd and theGrint was, by far, the best for that while still being decent for other basics like GPS distances, overhead view, score tracking and shot tracking.

It also has things like allowing other Grinters to see your round and comment. This is great because I can heckle my buddies even when we aren't playing together. 😆. Seriously though it lets you do things like a live leaderboard so of you have more than one foursome, you can see how the guys in the other group are doing.

I track every shot during the round except putts and then delete stuff I don't want later just to keep it a routine. When I arrive at a teebox, I tap the track button and drop the phone. After I make my shot, and on the way to the ball I enter which club, etc and then tap when I arrive at the ball and initiate a new track. Here I glance at it for distance to the pin or to where I want to hit before putting it down.

After the round, I delete any shanks as I want my tracked shots to be representative of a reasonably hit shot. This will throw off my accuracy stat but will yield more accurate club distances which is what I need right now.

I actually like Golfshot pro better for basic score keeping, hole flyover and that it has an automatic caddy function, but it doesn't generate the stats that I want...

I actually like Golfshot pro better for basic score keeping, hole flyover and that it has an automatic caddy function, but it doesn't generate the stats that I want...

That's what I used to use and it's why I moaned about thegrint being less user friendly at first. If that's all you want Golfshot Pro is the easiest to use on course imo. If you want the stats, you gotta step up to something else, and I honestly should have realized then that to get the benefits I might actually have to contribute slightly more to the effort. #Lazy

Last edited:
That's what I used to use and it's why I moaned about thegrint being less user friendly at first. If that's all you want Golfshot Pro is the easiest to use on course imo. If you want the stats, you gotta step up to something else, and I honestly should have realized then that to get the benefits I might actually have to contribute slightly more to the effort. #QuitBeingLazy
That makes sense. I am pretty used to tracking the tee and fairway shots. Do you enter putts as well? I feel like it is slowing me down and distracting me from thinking about the actual putt. Maybe the next round we are behind a slow group I will give it a try.

As a developing hi capper, I wish they would integrate a basic caddie function based on the distance I have marked for the shot. I'm still learning my club distances AND they are slowly lengthening. So each fairway shot, I need to consult my club list to pick the appropriate club. The tracker changes the default club so it appears to be using a predefined set of ranges. It wouldn't be difficult to have it base the default club selection on one of my tracked stats (average, median, quartile). This would be a time saver for newer golfers and wouldn't require any new inputs.

For similar reasons, I wish there was an option to separate the stats of we'll hit shots from poorly hit ones. Right now I have to choose between trackijng week hit shots so I know distances, versus tracking all my shots so I know accuracy numbers. For now, I'm focussing on figuring out my distances, but next season I think I will shift to tracking everything to get a better understanding of my accuracy.

I used to use Grint before the handicap change, not just keep it through my club. Was not a bad service though.

I use TheGrint to keep my handicap. Previously used it for on course shot tracking and GPS, but just installed Arccos sensors. I’d definitely recommend it for a variety of reasons from the GPS app to official handicap and stat tracking.

Great minds think alike. This is my setup, used as RPP describes.

I've tried it a couple times, but never stuck with it. Not sure I like the interface, etc.

Recently been trying the Swing U app, which has integrated Shots Gained in the premium version. Really like it so far.

I do use it. I don't use the GPS as much, but I use it more for scoring.

I'm an Arccos guy right now

That makes sense. I am pretty used to tracking the tee and fairway shots. Do you enter putts as well? I feel like it is slowing me down and distracting me from thinking about the actual putt. Maybe the next round we are behind a slow group I will give it a try.

As a developing hi capper, I wish they would integrate a basic caddie function based on the distance I have marked for the shot. I'm still learning my club distances AND they are slowly lengthening. So each fairway shot, I need to consult my club list to pick the appropriate club. The tracker changes the default club so it appears to be using a predefined set of ranges. It wouldn't be difficult to have it base the default club selection on one of my tracked stats (average, median, quartile). This would be a time saver for newer golfers and wouldn't require any new inputs.

For similar reasons, I wish there was an option to separate the stats of we'll hit shots from poorly hit ones. Right now I have to choose between trackijng week hit shots so I know distances, versus tracking all my shots so I know accuracy numbers. For now, I'm focussing on figuring out my distances, but next season I think I will shift to tracking everything to get a better understanding of my accuracy.
I only enter the first putt, basically. I get to the green, and finish my shot track that got me there. It usually has you on the green if you are, so I just tap the accuracy direction, scroll to the proximity from the pin, and hit complete. Then if I make that putt it shows in my putting stats as a make, a miss shows as a miss, and anything beyond that whether it be a 2" tap in or a 6' comebacker doesn't get logged for me in the gps tracking part. Things tend to be busier on the green than the fairway, and I don't personally have a need to track each one. If you start 30+ feet out and log that as your position on your completed approach shot tracking, and then 3 putt, it still shows that in your putt tracking data though. That from that range you have so many makes, so many 2 putts, and that 3 putt. And everything obviously shows up in your basic total putts numbers when you enter your score and such. That's good enough for me, and I honestly don't know why someone would bother to log all the short clean up putts.

The yardage thing would probably be hard if you're newer player, because the default suggestions, well, I don't know what they're based on. They usually think I'm kind of a wuss. :LOL: So I have to scroll 1 or 2 clubs sometimes. I really like Golfshot Pro's ease of use on that, but none of them are right every time with the caddie stuff, and no app knows perfectly what the wind is doing at that time to help or hurt you, etc. 18birdies has a decent current wind and elevation feature I think. I think. Pretty sure that's the one I'm thinking of. That's something I wish thegrint had. Elevation in its shot tracking. And strokes gained.

Strokes gained would be nice. It's a common metric now, so it's probably useful for people to be able to compare themselves and see where they need to improve most. I don't find it particularly useful for me. I actually take issue with it more than anything, but I'm not exactly the standard golfer, and live a little deeper in the numbers than it allows. Golfpad GPS has a good strokes gained feature. @OGputtnfool screencaps his sometimes and I really liked the look, asked him what it was, and tried it some. It's solid in that regard.

So the cumulative data on club is kind of like most, where it will try to ignore outlier shots. The only time I don't log a a shot is if I'm doing some really small punch out or something that's just completely irrelevant to a typical goal. Probably happens more for a high capper, but I don't log those because knowing that I hit a 4i 56 yards back into the fairway to get out of trouble just isn't useful info for me. I just skip it. If you look at your shot distances page in the app, and select a club, at the top the Bottom Quartile - Average - Median - Top Quartile are listed. That gives you a pretty good idea what your actual distances are and should be. There are always (or usually) shots that are well outside those numbers that's it's really only using in the average and median numbers, not the quartile ones. So you could try to think of the middle ground between the top and bottom quartile as your smartest distance. I just checked with my 4i numbers (utility do-it-all club for me), and that seems to be spot on. I also realized what you were talking about with going and deleting shots later.

I hadn't done that in a while and they must have updated something. When you mentioned it I was thinking 'Isn't that a huge PITA though? You have to tap the shot to see when and where it was, then go to your profile->scores->find that round->click the scorecard->go to Shots->scroll to the hole and shot->and then swipe it away to delete it". Turns out when you tap the shot in your chart it gives you an option to delete it now. Which is .. wow. I mean, I suppose it makes it easier to get rid of outliers, but people are definitely going to abuse that feature. The whole point is to get a realistic view of your game, so I'd exercise caution there, personally. A shank is one thing, I get that. Just skip the crazy rescue ones you know aren't going to be indicative of normal conditions while you're playing, and try to leave the rest though. The quartile numbers should still be solid.

Man that was long. Sorry y'all.

I only enter the first putt, basically. I get to the green, and finish my shot track that got me there. It usually has you on the green if you are, so I just tap the accuracy direction, scroll to the proximity from the pin, and hit complete. Then if I make that putt it shows in my putting stats as a make, a miss shows as a miss, and anything beyond that whether it be a 2" tap in or a 6' comebacker doesn't get logged for me in the gps tracking part. Things tend to be busier on the green than the fairway, and I don't personally have a need to track each one. If you start 30+ feet out and log that as your position on your completed approach shot tracking, and then 3 putt, it still shows that in your putt tracking data though. That from that range you have so many makes, so many 2 putts, and that 3 putt. And everything obviously shows up in your basic total putts numbers when you enter your score and such. That's good enough for me, and I honestly don't know why someone would bother to log all the short clean up putts.

The yardage thing would probably be hard if you're newer player, because the default suggestions, well, I don't know what they're based on. They usually think I'm kind of a wuss. :LOL: So I have to scroll 1 or 2 clubs sometimes. I really like Golfshot Pro's ease of use on that, but none of them are right every time with the caddie stuff, and no app knows perfectly what the wind is doing at that time to help or hurt you, etc. 18birdies has a decent current wind and elevation feature I think. I think. Pretty sure that's the one I'm thinking of. That's something I wish thegrint had. Elevation in its shot tracking. And strokes gained.

Strokes gained would be nice. It's a common metric now, so it's probably useful for people to be able to compare themselves and see where they need to improve most. I don't find it particularly useful for me. I actually take issue with it more than anything, but I'm not exactly the standard golfer, and live a little deeper in the numbers than it allows. Golfpad GPS has a good strokes gained feature. @OGputtnfool screencaps his sometimes and I really liked the look, asked him what it was, and tried it some. It's solid in that regard.

So the cumulative data on club is kind of like most, where it will try to ignore outlier shots. The only time I don't log a a shot is if I'm doing some really small punch out or something that's just completely irrelevant to a typical goal. Probably happens more for a high capper, but I don't log those because knowing that I hit a 4i 56 yards back into the fairway to get out of trouble just isn't useful info for me. I just skip it. If you look at your shot distances page in the app, and select a club, at the top the Bottom Quartile - Average - Median - Top Quartile are listed. That gives you a pretty good idea what your actual distances are and should be. There are always (or usually) shots that are well outside those numbers that's it's really only using in the average and median numbers, not the quartile ones. So you could try to think of the middle ground between the top and bottom quartile as your smartest distance. I just checked with my 4i numbers, and that seems to be spot on. I also realized what you were talking about with going and deleting shots later.

I hadn't done that in a while and they must have updated something. When you mentioned it I was thinking 'Isn't that a huge PITA though? You have to tap the shot to see when and where it was, then go to your profile->scores->find that round->click the scorecard->go to Shots->scroll to the hole and shot->and then swipe it away to delete it". Turns out when you tap the shot in your chart it gives you an option to delete it now. Which is .. wow. I mean, I suppose it makes it easier to get rid of outliers, but people are definitely going to abuse that feature. The whole point is to get a realistic view of your game, so I'd exercise caution there, personally. A shank is one thing, I get that. Just skip the crazy rescue ones you know aren't going to be indicative of normal conditions while you're playing, and try to leave the rest though. The quartile numbers should still be solid.

ahahah As I was writing I was thinking the same thing. I just think everyone can benefit (if they choose to) from seeing their stats, and this is an app I'm real familiar with, so I feel compelled to reply as best I can.

And I thought you were busy today!? Get back to work!! :p

I use grint! I don't often us the gps due to rangefinder.
why the WTF?

Should i use a GPS and the rangefinder? seems very belt and suspenders to me

Back