The Home Renovation Thread

Builder cannot find a direct match to current shingles so having to redo entire roof. Going with seamless tin, which is what the wife originally wanted. Electrician showed up today to get a scope on the job and will start next week. Trusses get delivered mid next week so addition will be built and dried in by end of next week. Builder sanded ceilings today and is fixing the water line where his diggers hit it while digging footer trench. Making progress.
Seamless tin is just too expensive. Going with shingles for roof after discussions w/ builder this weekend, but addition is off to a good start this morning.
IMG_9190.jpeg

Glued and screwed. Love to see that
IMG_9194.jpeg
We have walls. Kinda. Exterior walls are going up tomorrow along with busting out wall and then roof will go on Thurs.

Big progress. Thought we ordered all appliances last night but Lowe’s somehow left off the range so going back to order it and the hood tonight. Trusses being delivered today instead of tomorrow and roof will start going on or be installed tomorrow. Plumber starting end of week. Electrician starting tomorrow. Meeting with septic installer to finalize date of install and builder calling HVAC guy to start asap.

Big progress. Thought we ordered all appliances last night but Lowe’s somehow left off the range so going back to order it and the hood tonight. Trusses being delivered today instead of tomorrow and roof will start going on or be installed tomorrow. Plumber starting end of week. Electrician starting tomorrow. Meeting with septic installer to finalize date of install and builder calling HVAC guy to start asap.
Last of appliances ordered. While at Lowe’s got a bad call from builder and my fear about electrical came true haha. Whole house has to be rewired so that’s an extra we were hoping not to get, but windows being delivered 2 weeks early (tomorrow), electrical and plumbing kicking off tomorrow. Septic being installed end of next week along with HVAC over next couple weeks and water and gas will be back on in house in the next 2 weeks as well.
Long room into kitchen:
IMG_9215.jpeg
Master bedroom into master closet:
IMG_9219.jpeg
Master bath:
IMG_9221.jpeg

Now to study for my exam tomorrow!

Last of appliances ordered. While at Lowe’s got a bad call from builder and my fear about electrical came true haha. Whole house has to be rewired so that’s an extra we were hoping not to get, but windows being delivered 2 weeks early (tomorrow), electrical and plumbing kicking off tomorrow. Septic being installed end of next week along with HVAC over next couple weeks and water and gas will be back on in house in the next 2 weeks as well.
Long room into kitchen:
View attachment 9248660
Master bedroom into master closet:
View attachment 9248661
Master bath:
View attachment 9248662

Now to study for my exam tomorrow!
Whole house re-wired or just a new service panel?

Whole house re-wired or just a new service panel?
Nope. Whole house, minus garage bc we didn’t have anything done in the garage. Bc of the way the original electrician updated our service panel he screwed us and didn’t put one that big enough, so they have to tie in to old wires, which means if they touch them they have to be replaced by code, so here we are.

Nope. Whole house, minus garage bc we didn’t have anything done in the garage. Bc of the way the original electrician updated our service panel he screwed us and didn’t put one that big enough, so they have to tie in to old wires, which means if they touch them they have to be replaced by code, so here we are.
Never fails. Always hiccups. Here's hoping thats the last big one

Never fails. Always hiccups. Here's hoping thats the last big one
Thanks. This should be the last big one. (Fingers crossed) All walls are tore out and the other big hiccup we expected was the roof, but outside of that once the electrical is done it’s ready to start being put back together.

Went over after taking my exam and trusses are already up. Roof will have felt installed today for rain coming in until they can get the shingles on.
IMG_9274.jpeg

More progress pics. They are finishing up putting the roof on this evening and putting down the felt stuff before the rain gets here tomorrow.
IMG_9277.jpeg
IMG_9278.jpeg

We are finally wrapping up a remodel that included refacing our kitchen cabinets, new countertops, family room cabinets, replacing a desk with a coffee bar and refinishing our floors. I thought everything was fine before but my wife thought different. I did get a coffee bar that allows me to plumb my espresso machine and more room for my components in the family room.

Next week the cabinet maker will finish adding crown molding, glass doors for a couple cabinets in the kitchen, glass doors in front of the top two shelves in the family room, mesh doors for the bottom cabinets and countertops in the family room, and shelves between the upper cabinets over the coffee bar.

View attachment 9247143

The never ending project drags on. The doors for the cabinets on the West/Left side of the family room were the wrong size and my wife decided to add matching trim to the Coffee/Beverage Bar and it will be over a month before the cabinet makers will be back out.

Making progress though and the refinished floors have cured enough to move the furniture back but rugs will need to wait a few more weeks. Some before and after; the Family Room Before was in 2012 when we replaced carpet in the Family room, living room and dining room with hardwood and refinished the entire 1st floor. We had to rip all that added wood out, it was infected with wood boring beetles. We only needed to pay for 1/3 of the refinishing, not the replaced wood or labor.

Family_Room_Before_After_1000p.jpgDesk_Before_Coffee_Bar_after_1000p.jpgFamily_Room_Entertainment_Before_After_1000p.jpg

Bad storm last night and builder didn't go back after framers finished. Needless to say, bunch of water got in and a bunch of existing drywall in wall and ceilings of existing house going into addition along with insulation is ruined and now has to be replaced. Possible floor damage as well. Builder is covering it all on his dime but original hardwood has sentimental value to wife, so hoping it will be ok. Possible replacement for some of it will need to happen. Builder seems to think it will be ok since it is not sitting in the water and it's already drying since they are sanding down to restain everything, but fingers crossed. Was a little PO'd when I went over to check on the house after the storm since noone is working there today. Electrician had some family issues, so now delayed till Monday start. So next week will be very busy with all the replacement stuff that has to happen, shingles/rest of roof going on, HVAC, plumbing and electrical all being done and septic at end of week. Just ready for everything to get fully dried in so we don't encounter any more hiccups like this.

Builder cannot find a direct match to current shingles so having to redo entire roof. Going with seamless tin, which is what the wife originally wanted. Electrician showed up today to get a scope on the job and will start next week. Trusses get delivered mid next week so addition will be built and dried in by end of next week. Builder sanded ceilings today and is fixing the water line where his diggers hit it while digging footer trench. Making progress.
The fact that the electrician is already scoping out the job and trusses are scheduled for delivery next week is fantastic news. Getting the addition built and dried in by the end of next week sounds like you're right on track. And it's impressive to see your builder tackling multiple tasks, like sanding ceilings and fixing the water line, all in one go.
By the way, if you're still in the midst of renovations and need skirting boards, I recently came across a website offering free delivery for my own projects. Check out https://mdfskirtingworld.co.uk/skirting-boards/-boards for more info—it's been super convenient for me, and it might save you some hassle too.

Last edited:
The fact that the electrician is already scoping out the job and trusses are scheduled for delivery next week is fantastic news. Getting the addition built and dried in by the end of next week sounds like you're right on track. And it's impressive to see your builder tackling multiple tasks, like sanding ceilings and fixing the water line, all in one go.
We actually are really lucky with the builder. He’s been great. He’s been honest and gave us options on everything, even the problems that have been discovered. Gets more than one estimate for us and lets us chose. This week is going to be a busy week. Roof will get replaced (shingles) and new shingles on the addition, electrical starting, plumbing starting, windows going in, HVAC starting, and septic at the end of the week. Waiting on 2 hangers to be delivered mid week to finish the interior framing of the addition so it can be inspected.

Well, more electrical had to be fixed so that’s more than we expected and decided to go shingles due to cost of seamless tin. Roofer pulling old shingles off today and called. Said whoever did the roof previously didn’t use full pieces of wood, but used strips and left huge gaps, so having to pay for that to be fixed. Extra $3k for electrical than we planned and an extra $18k for the roof. I really hope this is the last of the extras that are found but nothing else is scheduled to be taken apart. Practically going to have a brand new house after this is all done.

One of my current projects. Stripped the old paneling off the family room walls. Of course it was glued in place and destroyed the drywall facing in the process. Have a drywall guy coming next week to hang and finish 1/4" drywall over it. Then I can re-trim , paint and replace the baseboard heater covers, etc. Was a good time to upgrade some electrical work too. Added ceiling lights and fan circuit, additional deck light and ring floodlight camera for the backyard. Will paint ceiling also
20240303_130301.jpg20240303_130125.jpg

New roof complete. Windows are in now too along with all old Masonite siding removed.
IMG_5715.jpegIMG_5716.jpeg

Some of the windows ended up having damage so builder called manufacturer out and they will be there this afternoon to assess and figure out how to fix and/or replace. Builder assured me the way the look he will not put his name on it and it will be right by the end of project. Septic was delayed till Monday which ended up being a positive thing for the plumbers. Electrician stated he should be finished up by Tuesday and get rough inspection complete. Once drywall goes up he can finish up. Things are moving a long.

I don't know if this qualifies as a renovation, but me and my wife are going to expand our bathroom. I'm really looking forward to it. We decided for a long time with Home Builders, that's why here on kb home reviews, you can find real reviews about home builders, and find real professionals in their field.

Last edited:
Added some beams to the entryway hallway…so easy and much cheaper than the ones we had put in when we moved in.
Before:
IMG_2926.jpeg
After:
IMG_2930.jpeg

Static tank installed, but there is a new inspector than the one that issued the permit and he wouldn’t let us drop the field lines today due to over an inch of rain expected tonight and tomorrow, so have to have septic guy come back Thursday or Friday depending on how fast the water gets out to dig field lines and help my FIL build a temporary fence around the lines so cows don’t get in and break them. HVAC guys showed up today and got a list of supplies and it will start tomorrow. Electrical (rough) should finish up this week. Other big living room window got installed today too.
IMG_9410.jpeg
IMG_9409.jpeg

Wow a new septic tank too?!? Damn. Is that the old elec service??? I can see why it needed replacing

Wow a new septic tank too?!? Damn. Is that the old elec service??? I can see why it needed replacing
Yes new septic. The only place to build was over the old one, so we had to decommission it and install a new one. The small panel you see is a junction panel. That is being replaced and moved to the attic. But yes. Electrical was a mess.

Back