The Home Renovation Thread

Update. Builder can't fix the frame so having to return and reorder. Now to wait another 5-6 weeks on the front door...UGH
Smart move, I don't like modifying Swing of Door.

Windows, windows, windows....Anyone replace their own windows before?!? Got a quote from home depot services to replace five windows for $8500. F that. The windows themselves are $400-500 each
Install pricing is outrageous these days. Was gonna install Central Vac (we've had in last 4 Houses), 1 Level, 2400 square with nice and easy Crawl Space. $5000, are you nuts. Bought Stratos Shark Vac instead.

Not sure yet. We’ve discussed it
Just use a Mat finish Clear Coat, even High end Paints will scratch when someone rubs up against with Pants Belt.

Install pricing is outrageous these days. Was gonna install Central Vac (we've had in last 4 Houses), 1 Level, 2400 square with nice and easy Crawl Space. $5000, are you nuts. Bought Stratos Shark Vac instead.
I laughed at him when he told me the price. That's 1700 per window.

A lot of inspections "supposed" to happen today according to my builder and electrician. Rough electrical, plumbing, rough mechanical, doors and windows. Fingers crossed!

A lot of inspections "supposed" to happen today according to my builder and electrician. Rough electrical, plumbing, rough mechanical, doors and windows. Fingers crossed!
All inspections passed! Should really get busy at the house now starting next week.

Thanks. A lot will kick off now. Insulation will start going in, then drywall, floors, cabinets, etc. Outside will fully be done next week minus the stucco which will be last and driveway being concreted as I haven't decided on a person yet.

Just had my AC Unit replaced. Was original to when the house was built in 1992……. Not that I’ll need it anytime soon, currently 35 and a snow mix going on.

Windows, windows, windows....Anyone replace their own windows before?!? Got a quote from home depot services to replace five windows for $8500. F that. The windows themselves are $400-500 each
Could be worse, my coworker was quoted 24k for 5 or 6 windows I believe

By Anderson's

Could be worse, my coworker was quoted 24k for 5 or 6 windows I believe

By Anderson's
These were anderson 400s lol. Guess it could be worse

Was on the phone with Lowe’s today because our appliance delivery date got pushed to the right another 3 weeks. Call them and they are like, oh it’s because you ordered a microwave that is no longer being made so the system keeps pushing it to the right. Everything is already here…I’m like you ordered it for me in store because the one i picked out you stated that this was the replacement to it… needless to say I cancelled the microwave and got my original delivery date on everything else but have to find another countertop black steel microwave. But, inside is starting to go back together and shiplap is going up and front door goes in tomorrow and French doors Wednesday.
IMG_9488.jpeg
IMG_9489.jpeg

Was on the phone with Lowe’s today because our appliance delivery date got pushed to the right another 3 weeks. Call them and they are like, oh it’s because you ordered a microwave that is no longer being made so the system keeps pushing it to the right. Everything is already here…I’m like you ordered it for me in store because the one i picked out you stated that this was the replacement to it… needless to say I cancelled the microwave and got my original delivery date on everything else but have to find another countertop black steel microwave. But, inside is starting to go back together and shiplap is going up and front door goes in tomorrow and French doors Wednesday.
View attachment 9255491
View attachment 9255492
Love that shiplap

I wonder about Lowes sometimes. Got the microwave they "couldn't" get after they ordered direct from LG and got it cheaper than Lowes price. Oh and it will be here Monday lol.

I wonder about Lowes sometimes. Got the microwave they "couldn't" get after they ordered direct from LG and got it cheaper than Lowes price. Oh and it will be here Monday lol.
Its better than homey despot

Front door installed and siding has started.
image000000.jpegIMG_5853.jpegimage000000.jpeg

It sucks! Went through 5 different company's and brands. One was almost $40K for 13 windows and a patio door. Granted two of the windows are bigger than the 8' slider...but WHAT!

Settled on a company that was smaller and more like my business. Plus upgraded with sound package and sun block on the south windows. Wasn't even close to half the high bid. So much overhead and advertising for the big companies.

Can't wait to see the finished product. Coming together!
Yeah. I bet they finish siding by end of day on Friday which means it will look completely different than when I left. haha

Yeah. I bet they finish siding by end of day on Friday which means it will look completely different than when I left. haha
Siding was finished. Have to have them fix a couple pieces of facet but no big deal. French door goes in today or tomorrow. Drywall is being delivered tomorrow to start on Wednesday. Painting kicking off next week. Flooring going in the 29th. Cabinets being delivered 5/10. Bad news about it is the countertops will cause us not to completely finish by the deadline. Builder will finish minus backsplash in the kitchen and faucets in the kitchen.

The never ending project drags on. The doors for the cabinets on the West/Left side of the family room were the wrong size and my wife decided to add matching trim to the Coffee/Beverage Bar and it will be over a month before the cabinet makers will be back out.

Making progress though and the refinished floors have cured enough to move the furniture back but rugs will need to wait a few more weeks. Some before and after; the Family Room Before was in 2012 when we replaced carpet in the Family room, living room and dining room with hardwood and refinished the entire 1st floor. We had to rip all that added wood out, it was infected with wood boring beetles. We only needed to pay for 1/3 of the refinishing, not the replaced wood or labor.

View attachment 9249060View attachment 9249061View attachment 9249062

Quite a transformation. Still a few items the cabinet makers need to finish.

Kitchen_Remodel_04142024_1000p.jpg

Back