The House Searching / Buying/ Building Thread

44dfbcd16e84a97676667d4fbcb9ae79.jpg

Moving right along.

Firing up the drafting table tonight. Time to start toying with some ideas.

My next house will have one of these fridges:

B0hvzRMIgAAOPiz_zps6cf89d66.jpg

Looks awesome! Must be exciting.., what windows did you out in? I am buying all new replacement windows today .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks awesome! Must be exciting.., what windows did you out in? I am buying all new replacement windows today .

LOL thats not my house. I wish it was.

I'll have my wife check. It's whatever the most efficient the builder offered.

We went with marvin ultimate aluminum clad. windows are not inexpensive...

We went with marvin ultimate aluminum clad. windows are not inexpensive...

Agreed - hole house replacement right now with Pella Low E glass - 49 windows, I could have bought an E Class.

Agreed - hole house replacement right now with Pella Low E glass - 49 windows, I could have bought an E Class.

is that through "Renewal" or is that using a contractor and installing there replacement window line?

Ha! We did full frame replacements in 26 windows with low e 366 and I thought that was bad! 49 windows! If we ever golf together...pops are on me!

is that through "Renewal" or is that using a contractor and installing there replacement window line?

It's replacement. Researched the pros and cons of each and we felt more comfortable going replacement

Ha! We did full frame replacements in 26 windows with low e 366 and I thought that was bad! 49 windows! If we ever golf together...pops are on me!

Thanks - I'm a little light right now!

What was the driving force for going replacement?

We bought a short sale and the rough openings were exposed on the back of the house. The previous owner had not done any painting in 13 yrs, the back of the house is exposed to weather...all the moulding is rotted out. The windows are 1978 Marvin's with double pane glass and storms so we are not getting our money back in energy efficiency any time soon. Window manufactures sell this but I'm skeptical. Most of the windows had been neglected to the point were they no longer work well.

Full performance of the low E glass. Two of my neighbors, in similarly sized homes both with 16 SER AC units, had a 15% spread in their electric bills, one with renewal, one with full replacement. For the price difference we decided to go replacement. From May through September the electric bills are huge here, not uncommon for my monthly electric bill to run over $1K in June through August.

Last edited:
We bought a short sale and the rough openings were exposed on the back of the house. The previous owner had not done any painting in 13 yrs, the back of the house is exposed to weather...all the moulding is rotted out. The windows are 1978 Marvin's with double pane glass and storms so we are not getting our money back in energy efficiency any time soon. Window manufactures sell this but I'm skeptical. Most of the windows had been neglected to the point were they no longer work well.

What do you mean by Rough openings were exposed? From the interior of the house or the exterior?

What do you mean by Rough openings were exposed? From the interior of the house or the exterior?

Exterior, all of the exterior moulding is rotted out you can see the insulation around the outside of the window and the 2by's that make up the rough opening.

Was there rot in any of the framing? I'm surprised the contractor opted for replacement windows of the RO was exposed. Cost wise, new construction windows are a little less money, the have a complete nailing flange in which you can install them. Making a bit of a better installation package for the homeowner. Replacement windows typically utilize the old window jams, which ultimately shrink the viewable area of a window. Insulation is not used anymore for chinking. Today's practices are to use minimal expanding foam. The use of foam is more of a air intrusion barrier than an R value.

Was there rot in any of the framing? I'm surprised the contractor opted for replacement windows of the RO was exposed. Cost wise, new construction windows are a little less money, the have a complete nailing flange in which you can install them. Making a bit of a better installation package for the homeowner. Replacement windows typically utilize the old window jams, which ultimately shrink the viewable area of a window. Insulation is not used anymore for chinking. Today's practices are to use minimal expanding foam. The use of foam is more of a air intrusion barrier than an R value.

They are not inserts, they are full replacements. Everything existing comes out down to the rough open.

They call the windows that go Into the existing jam an insert.

They are not inserts, they are full replacements. Everything existing comes out down to the rough open.

They call the windows that go Into the existing jam an insert.

I've not heard that before. I'm used to replacement and new construction. However that could be a regional term used, or something that is vendor specific.

Back