The Liv Golf Rumor and News Thread

Has the OWGR said it will award rankings points to the Saudi Tour players?

If this becomes popular...what are the odds of a Nicklaus course hosting an event? Talk about a turn of events that would be

Is Tiburon going to be on the roster of future courses since it's a Norman design?

Has the OWGR said it will award rankings points to the Saudi Tour players?
Shouldn't it have the same rating system based on field strength? As long as they play stroke play events

"World Golf Ranking" shouldn't be limited to certain tour events...almost like the Golf Channel maybe refusing to show highlights from this event

They would need to move to a plan that would mean the PGA Tour *employs* the golfers. I don't think anybody wants that.

So true.

I keep seeing the LIV Golf Tour as 1996 World Championship Wrestling. They will poach a bunch of top talent from the PGA. LIV will garner a bunch of media exposure and possibly win a ratings war against the PGA. But, eventually in the end, lack of leadership and monetary mismanagement will cause it to fold!

Shouldn't it have the same rating system based on field strength? As long as they play stroke play events

"World Golf Ranking" shouldn't be limited to certain tour events...almost like the Golf Channel maybe refusing to show highlights from this event
The Saudi Tour had to apply for OWGR recognition. I haven't heard if the application has been accepted or rejected.

Whether we like it or not, LIV is happening and they are shelling out big money. I would like it to fail miserably but I don't think it is going to happen.

The PGA Tour is going to be in some trouble I believe because of the ratings clauses in the new TV contracts they signed.

I would love to be a fly on the wall during some of these negotiations.

There could be a great book about the birth of LIV in the future.
Hmmm. I've never made a documentary, but two of my good friends have (and each been nominated for academy awards for their separate films) I think a couple of phone calls may be in order

I sort of think these guys held off on announcing because they didn't want to miss the US Open. Once that was announced yesterday, the flood gates seem to be open for players to bolt and not fear missing the US Open.

I sort of think these guys held off on announcing because they didn't want to miss the US Open. Once that was announced yesterday, the flood gates seem to be open for players to bolt and not fear missing the US Open.
It kind of opens the door to all the other majors now too then...if they take the same path as the US Open

Whether we like it or not, LIV is happening and they are shelling out big money. I would like it to fail miserably but I don't think it is going to happen.

The PGA Tour is going to be in some trouble I believe because of the ratings clauses in the new TV contracts they signed.
Do we thnk that TV ratings for the PGA will actually slide?

I see many people on here claim they don't really watch tournaments on tv. I personally will still watch the PGA when I have a chance regardless of who is in contention. I think we see that golfer endorsements of products don't necessarily sell golf clubs. I don't have PING in my bag because of any tour player.

I sort of feel like the PGA will just chug along without all of these big money players and will develop their own new big money players. I don't know if the PGA will actually suffer in the ratings unless the LIV Tour does anything to draw in casual fans. I'm not sure that is happening.

Do we thnk that TV ratings for the PGA will actually slide?

I see many people on here claim they don't really watch tournaments on tv. I personally will still watch the PGA when I have a chance regardless of who is in contention. I think we see that golfer endorsements of products don't necessarily sell golf clubs. I don't have PING in my bag because of any tour player.

I sort of feel like the PGA will just chug along without all of these big money players and will develop their own new big money players. I don't know if the PGA will actually suffer in the ratings unless the LIV Tour does anything to draw in casual fans. I'm not sure that is happening.
I apologize, it is strength of field is the bench marker for the TV contracts.

It kind of opens the door to all the other majors now too then...if they take the same path as the US Open
Yes but at some time you'e got to sh*t or get off the pot. It could still be possible the R&A does something to try to stop them but the precedent has been set. I feel like the other will follow their current rules but ultimately future tournaments could be an issue if players fail to meet the qualification rules for each major.

International sponsors may work with LIV, but US sponsors, I don’t see it happening. Has nothing to do with allegiance to the PGA Tour.

I'm not sure I am explaining it correctly, but I will give it a go.

It's become obvious, at least to me, that the tour has been heavy handed with players in terms of how much they can play, monetizing likeness, and other restrictions. They hide behind, "we are generating purse money larger than we ever have" but restricting where "Independent Contractors" can apply their craft. I get they need to protect sponsors and are only as good as the talent they field, but now that all of this has played out I think the tour could have dealt with this better. They are coming across as a heavy handed parent telling kids what not to do and the kids doing it anyway out of spite.

I think you can do away with the wrap around schedule, work with LIV for their limited events and still satisfy sponsors by giving them a bigger tournament to be tied to versus The Barracuda or whatever no name event is on.
This 100%… The two can coexist together.

I keep seeing the LIV Golf Tour as 1996 World Championship Wrestling. They will poach a bunch of top talent from the PGA. LIV will garner a bunch of media exposure and possibly win a ratings war against the PGA. But, eventually in the end, lack of leadership and monetary mismanagement will cause it to fold!
And Phil will shave his Hollywood Hogan beard, return to the PGA and start using Real American as his walk up music!

DE0DE720-6974-4784-AB74-840476F185EB.gif
We are at the 1996 Bash at the Beach part of the storyline.

Will there still be room for the PGL? I mean those guys really dropped the ball by moving slower than Kevin Na…

And Phil will shave his Hollywood Hogan beard, return to the PGA and start using Real American as his walk up music!

Everyone loves a redemption story!

000CDDF8-1838-4320-9502-0110DD3F6698.gif

Back