The Liv Golf Rumor and News Thread

LIV’s mission going forward will be suing every entity which does not welcome LIV players with open arms.
This is a very weird conclusion to draw based on any facts that have taken place or the actual lawsuit that has been filed.

This is all true. Yet his own program, PIP, awarded high dollar amounts to the "most popular" and half of them left. I think the PGA Tour is still largely the deepest in the world and that won't change, but they are 1-2 top players leaving from people really having a very segmented product competition wise, not just popularity.
Hence their strategy of showering the top 30 or so guys with more cash. Not sure it will pay dividends.

Hence their strategy of showering the top 30 or so guys with more cash. Not sure it will pay dividends.

Or just the PGAT bumping up the purses for the top players to win. That's about all Monahan has. Before long his sponsors will pull back if their $$$$ contributions interfere with their product sponsorship worldwide. A fine line here on how far sponsors and their board of directors are willing to go to support Monahan's fight.

Would LIV have gone to more than 8 events a year if the PGAT didn't prevent people from playing LIV events? Monahan missed an opportunity to make LIV a sideshow and build up smaller events that struggle for talent. Wouldn't even take the call.
Why take a call when you know what the call will entail?

This is all true. Yet his own program, PIP, awarded high dollar amounts to the "most popular" and half of them left. I think the PGA Tour is still largely the deepest in the world and that won't change, but they are 1-2 top players leaving from people really having a very segmented product competition wise, not just popularity.

And don't you think this is where its a lose lose situation for Jay? If the players who were being treated the best and paid the most on tour still left for LIV, because they are being offered insane $$, what can he do?

Or just the PGAT bumping up the purses for the top players to win. That's about all Monahan has. Before long his sponsors will pull back if their $$$$ contributions interfere with their product sponsorship worldwide. A fine line here on how far sponsors and their board of directors are willing to go to support Monahan's fight.
I don't think he has to throw money. Sure increase purses commiserate with revenue jumps, but if he would drop some stuff like having to play certain amount of tournaments, travel and scheduling of tournaments, you don't see half these guys jump.

I am sure the older guys go because they are at the twilight of their career and it's the last big payday they will get. The young guys would pause if scheduling and tour event demands were not as stringent leading to more free time and better work/life balance.

What exactly is the PGAT trying to say here that it opposes all competition? What if Elon Musk started a golf league or the Chinese government is the PGAT going to ban any players that play in those leagues? Is the PGAT saying only we should have a professional golf league? This is bizarre behavior for a not-for-profit. It's no wonder the DOJ and now LIV players are attacking the PGAT over anti-trust violations.

As of today, LIV will have 25 events in 2023. The Tour will have 34 events. The only weeks the Tour does not have an event are the weeks of the Masters, U.S. Open, and PGA Championship. I think it is reasonable to think LIV and the Tour will have events during the same week.
Where are you seeing it's a 25 event schedule? I'm not seeing this. I thought it was 14?

I don't think he has to throw money. Sure increase purses commiserate with revenue jumps, but if he would drop some stuff like having to play certain amount of tournaments, travel and scheduling of tournaments, you don't see half these guys jump.

I am sure the older guys go because they are at the twilight of their career and it's the last big payday they will get. The young guys would pause if scheduling and tour event demands were not as stringent leading to more free time and better work/life balance.

All Monahan had to do is grant the players that wanted to play LIV events to do so as long as they played the required PGAT tournaments. All this talk about players being contractors, heck I had contractors working for my engineering group while they also worked for another companies, no conflict of interest But here we are in total chaos

And don't you think this is where its a lose lose situation for Jay? If the players who were being treated the best and paid the most on tour still left for LIV, because they are being offered insane $$, what can he do?
Not much. But I dont believe that was all that was the case previously, although was for some.
I understand not taking the call on LIV. For Jay, I truly do. I would have at least spoken, but I get it. I dont understand the PGL side, which could have possibly thwarted this, and that is where I take issue. Its a tough spot for Jay, because if he does biz, its blood money. If he doesnt, he risks losing. But that third element of doing absolutely nothing outside of threats until after they are off and running is where I take major issue.

I believe this could have been avoided, at least to the extent we are at now.

What you are suggesting is exactly the opposite of what happens when they join LIV. So that clearly isn't the reason for them staying or leaving.

Drop some stuff like having to play a certain amount of tournaments - LIV has done just the opposite of this as they are required to play in more events than the PGAT.
Travel & Scheduling - LIV is setting the schedule for the players. A schedule that creates more travel. The players went from some say to where they go, to no say.

He certainly needs money to throw when LIV is throwing out 100s of millions for the big names.

Where are you seeing it's a 25 event schedule? I'm not seeing this. I thought it was 14?
He’s including the Asian Tour International Series. The LIV Golf League will only feature 14 tournaments.

What you are suggesting is exactly the opposite of what happens when they join LIV. So that clearly isn't the reason for them staying or leaving.

Drop some stuff like having to play a certain amount of tournaments - LIV has done just the opposite of this as they are required to play in more events than the PGAT.
Travel & Scheduling - LIV is setting the schedule for the players. A schedule that creates more travel. The players went from some say to where they go, to no say.

He certainly needs money to throw when LIV is throwing out 100s of millions for the big names.
I dont see it that way. The LIV events are spread out and not back-to-back-to-back like the pGAT schedule is for some of the stretches during the season.

I'll give you the LIV travel is more international, but looking at how they are treating the players, this is private travel provided by LIV and not these guys on their own trying to fly Delta across the globe.

Like I said, the old guys bolt bc it's the last payday, the young guys bolt if they just don't want to grind or beat out the competition, but the majority I think stay if scheduling and tour date restrictions are eased or done away with completely.

He’s including the Asian Tour International Series. The LIV Golf League will only feature 14 tournaments.
I don't get it. Why would the Asian Tour International Series be included? That's a sincere question, what am I missing?

Im very glad that the Worst Golf Podcast kicks off in 30 and we can guarantee we will not be discussing LIV during it :)

Not much. But I dont believe that was all that was the case previously, although was for some.
I understand not taking the call on LIV. For Jay, I truly do. I would have at least spoken, but I get it. I dont understand the PGL side, which could have possibly thwarted this, and that is where I take issue. Its a tough spot for Jay, because if he does biz, its blood money. If he doesnt, he risks losing. But that third element of doing absolutely nothing outside of threats until after they are off and running is where I take major issue.

I believe this could have been avoided, at least to the extent we are at now.
Reminds me of this from Sun Tzu

" When you are ignorant of the enemy but know yourself, your chances of winning or losing are equal. If ignorant both of your enemy and of yourself, you are certain in every battle to be in peril. "

I think Jay's biggest mistake was not feigning interest if for no other reason than to get a better baseline for what LIV was about and prepare properly.

Like I said, the old guys bolt bc it's the last payday, the young guys bolt if they just don't want to grind or beat out the competition, but the majority I think stay if scheduling and tour date restrictions are eased or done away with completely.

agree. If you look at which LIV players are remotely still competitive, the only one that appears to be, is DJ but he or the other LIV players have not won in a while ( could be wrong) on the PGAT. The avg age on the LIV tour is 34.4 years for the 48 players.

Interesting. Tucker is the ONLY show I watch on that channel. He’s willing to cover topics and people that you’ll never hear from other media. A true asset to journalism.
IMO, there's a reason others won't cover those topics. :p

Im very glad that the Worst Golf Podcast kicks off in 30 and we can guarantee we will not be discussing LIV during it :)
But if it was the worst podcast, wouldn't the worst subject be discussed? Haha

• Appreciation
Reactions: JB
agree. If you look at which LIV players are remotely still competitive, the only one that appears to be, is DJ but he or the other LIV players have not won in a while ( could be wrong) on the PGAT. The avg age on the LIV tour is 34.4 years for the 48 players.
Oh I am not sure about that Bryson is coming off injury and is definitely still a top player when healthy. Gooch is definitely a player. Brooks has struggled a bit recently, but he is without a doubt still a top player. Reed, Ancer, Casey and Kokrak are absolutely competitive. There are others as well.

Phil is a particular problem for the tour. He is a life member due to number of wins but he can't belong anywhere else as well evidently. He is eligible for two of the majors as long as he wants per their own standards and has qualified for the other 2 for the next 4 years per their own qualifying standards yet they may try to bar him from playing. So the powers that be say past champions are eligible but not Phil. The rules for qualifications are this except in some situations that we will concoct later. Seems to me a law intern could win this one.

I have no use for the LIV and have always disliked Norman but I have to say the total arrogant hypocrisy of the PGAT on their standards, their sponsors, their players and their fake moralizing has has burnt a bridge as far as my support.

I don't get it. Why would the Asian Tour International Series be included? That's a sincere question, what am I missing?

Here's the link. Looks like 11 Asian Tour events are now tournaments which are co-sponsored by the Asian Tour and LIV Tour.

LIV 2023 Season

"In total, LIV Golf will deliver 25 tournaments worldwide in 2023 that will bring value, innovation and new audiences to the game of golf."

Back