The Liv Golf Rumor and News Thread

slightly more

I have read a few things that these number are super inflated. I don’t know if it is true and don’t really care either way. I watched the whole thing, just not live.

Curious how the Hong Kong tv ratings will be. The Saudi Arabia ratings not too good.
Neither was event attendance. I don’t think anyone in Saudi Arabia cares about golf outside of PIF.

Neither was event attendance. I don’t think anyone in Saudi Arabia cares about golf outside of PIF.
That’s the long play in my opinion to recoup, but it’s not working yet.

If I remember they said they had adjustments that could be made for less rounds and golfers. The biggest sticking point was the team aspect, and the OWGR people said they didn't like the one guy on Torque saying he lagged a putt that could have tied or won a tournament in order to secure the team win during that event (didn't want to risk blowing the putt by and losing the individual and team portion).
Nah, the biggest sticking point is the lack of connectivity to the other tours, i.e. there's not enough turnover/relegation/qualification into/out of LIV. If there are a bunch of guys playing LIV events and nowhere else, it's tough to accurately rank them.

. If there are a bunch of guys playing LIV events and nowhere else, it's tough to accurately rank them.
And once again, that isn’t LIVs fault, the tour, and part of the board of OWGR won’t allow other play.

That’s an organization hiding from reality if a statement says that. None of the media copy has however

The problem as I see it is that both LIV and OWGR are Companies. Neither wants to lose parts of their identities and how they operate.

I was under the impression the celebrities are buying shares of SSG’s ownership in the Tour. This is not further investments. Basically SAG bought 1/4 of the PGA Tour and is now selling out their stake in those shares of the profit. This is basically how IPO’s work. I think the Tour is fine financially now.

Further I also believe we’re ******** pretty hard on the quality of golfers still playing on the Tour. There are a lot of top notch guys on Tour. It’s not a stretch at all that the Tour sweeps the majors and if that happens everyone is singing a completely different story by the end of July about quality of the fields on both Tours.
Who is this Tour guy you are referring to, how did he qualify for all the majors, and what makes you think he can sweep them? If he his truly top notch, seems like I would have heard of him before now. 🤷‍♂️

Who is this Tour guy you are referring to, how did he qualify for all the majors, and what makes you think he can sweep them? If he his truly top notch, seems like I would have heard of him before now. 🤷‍♂️
I think he's just saying in general, if a LIV player doesn't win a major this year.

And once again, that isn’t LIVs fault, the tour, and part of the board of OWGR won’t allow other play.

That’s an organization hiding from reality if a statement says that. None of the media copy has however
Who really gives a **** whose fault it is?

The Tour could allow LIV guys to play. LIV could make changes to become compliant. Instead we've got a dumpster fire.

Who really gives a **** whose fault it is?

The Tour could allow LIV guys to play. LIV could make changes to become compliant. Instead we've got a dumpster fire.

Complete nonsense. What changes? When the goal posts can be moved on a whim, that’s crazy talk.

Instead we end up with a rankings that means nothing and the fans suffer because Jay screwed this up so badly it’s not repairable

A lot of LIV guys heading to Macau next week for the Macau Open. That is a big boost for that event. Not a very big event. The Macau country club is quite hilly and narrow. Shotmakers course.

I heard on the radio that Mike Weir isn't going to invite any LIV players to play in the President's Cup. This kinda screws the fans, as players like Neiman and Smith won't be playing...and let's face it, the PC's team needs all the help it can get.

The fans want to see the best players in the world compete against one another. The governing bodies should realize that and take that into account when they decide who can play where.
Sounds very Mike Weir.
International PC teams are a joke as it is. Leaving LIV players off as some sort of statement would be an appropriate punchline.
Presidents Cup is organized by the PGA Tour, thus LIV players are not eligible.

Presidents Cup is organized by the PGA Tour, thus LIV players are not eligible.
I get that, but the PGAT is letting down the fans, and will also make the PC more of a runaway than it already is. If the PGAT thinks this is selling their product than they need a course in Marketing 101.

I get that, but the PGAT is letting down the fans, and will also make the PC more of a runaway than it already is. If the PGAT thinks this is selling their product than they need a course in Marketing 101.

PGAT is selling the **** out of LIV for sure.

Certainly isn't a best-on-best without LIV players (or Europeans but that's different), but it's not a Captain's decision to exclude them despite what some believe.

Complete nonsense. What changes? When the goal posts can be moved on a whim, that’s crazy talk.

Instead we end up with a rankings that means nothing and the fans suffer because Jay screwed this up so badly it’s not repairable
Ah, the same endless nonsense from you on this. What changes? Duh, changes to meet the criteria that were in place before LIV was even formed (having a system in place for open qualifying and relegation for under-performing players, average event field size, and all the others). No goalposts were moved. But LIV never really intended to get OWGR points, never intended to do more than lip service in those areas. It was all deliberate grandstanding. Because why would you deliberately create a new league that was so far off from those basic requirements?

Good thing it's all moot now and we can move on from this fascinating topic. :ROFLMAO:

I agree LIV probably always knew they weren't getting points, despite the BS, they're way too non-compliant so it was a long shot at best.

They wanted the public outcry that they themselves started and continued, they wanted fans to talk about it and argue, they wanted eyes on them.

That's enough reason IMO to oppose this tour, they can't do it with the golf so they need drama to get attention.

Ah, the same endless nonsense from you on this. What changes? Duh, changes to meet the criteria that were in place before LIV was even formed (having a system in place for open qualifying and relegation for under-performing players, average event field size, and all the others). No goalposts were moved. But LIV never really intended to get OWGR points, never intended to do more than lip service in those areas. It was all deliberate grandstanding. Because why would you deliberately create a new league that was so far off from those basic requirements?

Good thing it's all moot now and we can move on from this fascinating topic. :ROFLMAO:
Goalposts were moved. How many times does it need to be posted? LIV added another tour to increase field size, added relegation and promotion. OWGR said good job, but we don't like the way you did it, we need more relegation and promotion.

I agree LIV probably always knew they weren't getting points, despite the BS, they're way too non-compliant so it was a long shot at best.

They wanted the public outcry that they themselves started and continued, they wanted fans to talk about it and argue, they wanted eyes on them.

That's enough reason IMO to oppose this tour, they can't do it with the golf so they need drama to get attention.
LIV players have said the world golf rankings are flawed
PGAT players have said the world golf rankings are flawed
Media have said the world golf rankings are flawed

The rankings were put in place as a catch all to get the top golfers into majors that did not qualify under other qualifications. The #45 player in world didn't win in the last year and doesn't qualify based on major finishes well now they get in based on rankings. Now the rankings don't include some top players in the world that happen to play on the LIV tour. The majors want the best players competing so they have to include some of the LIV players that are not currently qualified and currently don't have a path to do it in an equitable way.

Show me one player or media outlet that said the rankings were flawed before LIV and maybe I'll give it some merit, otherwise it's just LIV trying to change the rules.

Someone should start a new tour with 12 guys and one round, play nothing but easy country club courses, then demand points, I wonder how many LIV fans would support that? no difference.

OWGR is not flawed, it's working just fine, only those pro golfers that play the same level of competition should get points that can get them into Majors, these little tournaments like The Hero are irrelevant, nobody is making moves in the ranking with those events, it's all about the full tours that a player can actually make moves with.

LIV players have said the world golf rankings are flawed
PGAT players have said the world golf rankings are flawed
Media have said the world golf rankings are flawed

The rankings were put in place as a catch all to get the top golfers into majors that did not qualify under other qualifications. The #45 player in world didn't win in the last year and doesn't qualify based on major finishes well now they get in based on rankings. Now the rankings don't include some top players in the world that happen to play on the LIV tour. The majors want the best players competing so they have to include some of the LIV players that are not currently qualified and currently don't have a path to do it in an equitable way.
This is where the 4 majors need to take change and take a stand. The 4 majors are the only good thing in golf right now, hell, THEY ARE golf right now…

Back