The Look of a “Player?”

Never look as well, even if the bag is next to mine on a cart, I just don't care what gear people use.

I'll glance at some swings as I walk by at the range, but can't say that's a big interest for me either, unless they're women, then I'm very, very interested.

Last edited:
I don't look at the bags or the clubs on the range. I just look at the swings. I honestly love watching other people hit balls. It never ceases to amaze me how many different swings there are out there. But.....when I see someone striping the ball with what looks like a good swing to me, I pay attention. I will watch that person for a few minutes and glean what information I can from the swing, the drills they are doing, the ball placement, their stance, etc...

A well worn college bag, with blade irons showing plenty of bag chatter and the paint fill on the backs and soles is missing. Small worn out spot in the middle of the face. Likely newer fairways and driver, and newer wedges. New grips on all the clubs, and a blade putter.
This. Same.

im going to play along with what was specifically asked- and im going into this with sarcastic answers because i believe this was a sarcastic question.

Have you listened to Adam's podcast? I assumed he was 100% serious. One of us has the wrong impression of him. :LOL:

Agree with all of this except the putter. Nowadays mallets are everywhere including the PGA Tour. Of the top ten putters(strokes gained) last year, five of them use blade putters but two of those five blades are Kuchar's and Bryson's somewhat unconventional arm-lock putters.
I agree that a mallet wouldnt be out of place in the "Player's" bag.

I just happen to be describing the bag of one of my former coworkers, who played at one of the local universities and qualified for match play at the 2019 US Mid Am.

If we are just talking bag and contents I’d say a stand bag and older, well worn clubs. One of the best players I’ve golfed with had some really old MacGregor irons. I think he had newer woods and wedges though. And he worked a full career at Callaway. He did finally switch to Apex 19’s last year.

Another guy who is a teaching pro and qualified for the Houston open more than once plays a full bag of Titleist including a Scotty putter. I think he does that because he’s on their teaching pro staff and gets it for cheap or free.

If they have a ball retriever in the bag you know they are serious.

If you are using alignment sticks on the range I automatically assume you are a player.

Also if you are walking during the round I automatically assume that you are better than then average golfer.

Also college players loveeeeeee flaunting their college bags back at home during the summer. You are a college golfer and you are telling me you are using your musty bag, with one of the zippers missing when we all know you probably have a perfectly capable bag in better shape at home? We know better cmon now :LOL:

Also I agree with everyone else. if @OldandStiff isn’t a player then I’m selling my clubs as soon as I get off work lol.

With all the posers out there who are new equipment junkies, especially at private clubs, It’s hard for me to tell based solely on the clubs and bag unless it a college team bag. At my last club you could tell who where NOT players by the matching bag and newest set of clubs that was usually 14 Titleist clubs complete with a Cameron putter or a full PXG bag also with a Scotty.

One of the best players at our club has PXG irons but they are several years old. SIM driver and 5w, an old Odyssey white hot putter and a small Titleist carry bag without a stand.

This thread is really making me want to remove the alignment sticks from my bag.

This thread is really making me want to remove the alignment sticks from my bag.

I hate carrying mine around though. I usually put them back in my trunk after using them. I do walk and carry though so I don’t want the extra weight even though they are light.

I hate carrying mine around though. I usually put them back in my trunk after using them. I do walk and carry though so I don’t want the extra weight even though they are light.
I rarely carry mine since I’m a procrastinator and don’t often warm up on the range before I play. But when I do carry them, anyone who thinks I’m a player is in for a rude awakening when they see me swing 😆

Shoes. If the dude is wearing regular ole tennis shoes he’s most likely not a regular golfer. I don’t mean the new style golf looking shoes. I’m sure there are exceptions but that’s a pretty good sign.
Clubs? Not really. I’ve had my butt whooped by older gentleman playing with clubs older than me. One in particular who carried more woods than I’d ever seen. Pretty sure he had an 11 wood in there. I’m not kidding. Shot the most boring 72 I’ve ever seen. Down the middle. Middle of the green. 2 putt. He did it 18 times. It was nuts. Never even checked his yardage. I shot a solid 82 (for me) and he made me feel like crap about it.

Not saying I'm a player, buttttt I almost never wear golf shoes to the range unless I happen to do it before my round.

The bag and attire won’t matter. The sound off their irons on the other hand, all you need.

this is what I notice. That sound off their strike. ive seen both good looking and bad looking swings make a really good impact sound.

but to answer the question, I look at a ton of bags when I pass others. I like equipment and seeing what many play haha. I don't really judge them off of it. A guy I met and have played with many times plays an older (i think non name brand) driver and older R9 irons or something of that sort. Dude is good.

Have you listened to Adam's podcast? I assumed he was 100% serious. One of us has the wrong impression of him. :LOL:
i did not hear the podcast, im assuming im wrong then

I should have bought the cover I recently got for mine ages ago. I was cheap, looks nice, and now they seem easier to hide. Which was something I'd never thought of until this thread.

I don't carry sticks now as far as anyone knows, my bag and clubs are new, especially my irons and wedges, and I generally look like I care more about how I look than how I play. Let's gamble.

Last edited:
I'm guilty. I always look at someones bag-usually just to see what kind of clubs people are playing. That being said a bag that looks like a "players bag" doesn't necessarily mean that the golfer is a "player." I played the other day with a guy who had a old set of Nike blades in the bag, Volkey wedges and a old school Bulls Eye type putter. His game did not match his bag however.
Might not have even been his clubs? Borrowed set?

I guess older clubs to the point of them being REALLY old will send it the other direction for me too. If you still play TM's with Bubble shafts, I'm guessing you might get out 5 times a year. Seen that waaay too many times up here. The driver will be like an old R580. Firesole woods with the Bubble shafts. Etc.

i did not hear the podcast, im assuming im wrong then
In truth I have no idea. It's the internet, so it's all in how we read something. He has a regular podcast though if you're interested. Seems more serious than sarcastic to me. :confused2:

Last edited:
I have played with PGA professionals (not tour players), scratch golfers, and very low handicap players and they all had the same trait. They all laughed at me.

I should have bought the cover I recently got for mine ages ago. I was cheap, looks nice, and now they seem easier to hide. Which was something I'd never thought of until this thread.

I don't carry sticks now as far a anyone knows, my bag and clubs are new, especially my irons and wedges, and I generally look like I care more about how I look than how I play. Let's gamble.
I thought of a new product idea last night for some reason. I don't understand alignment stick covers AT ALL.
But.... sometimes I have extra SHAFTS in my bag for my driver.
I don't want gunk getting worked up into the threads of my shaft adapters if they are in the bag. So I propose my product of SHAFT Protectors.
((Could you use the stick protectors for that? Or do we need another $99 item?))
I'm all for it if 50% of the profits make it back to me on "shaft protectors." I might even use one.

If you got your name on a staff bag at a public range and are just crushing every club in your bag...

You're a player.

I thought of a new product idea last night for some reason. I don't understand alignment stick covers AT ALL.
But.... sometimes I have extra SHAFTS in my bag for my driver.
I don't want gunk getting worked up into the threads of my shaft adapters if they are in the bag. So I propose my product of SHAFT Protectors.
((Could you use the stick protectors for that? Or do we need another $99 item?))
I'm all for it if 50% of the profits make it back to me on "shaft protectors." I might even use one.
I bought the cover for the sole reason that a stick marred the crown of one of my driver heads in the bag.

i guess i carry a little different persona, not thinking im a player but cant a player have clubs that dont look like theyve been to hell and back?
i mean cant i carry clubs that dont look like ive flushed an iron in the same spot for 40 damn years??

and the thing about a college bag, that is so over rated.. i had a college bag and when the season was over it went straight to the closet..
"hey look at me look at me im a stud college player blah blah blah"

Back