Boston_golfer

Reaction score
I think I'm in a big time mental rut. I have a swing in scoring like crazy. 3 weeks ago I shot a PB 89, and now my last round I shot a 115. My short game is the same....decent. Everything else is in shambles. Driver, Irons, Hybrids....everything. My practice swings feel great but once I step to the ball I'm topping the ball, pushing it, hitting fat and even.......missing it altogether. My usual playing partner says I look like i did 4 years ago, when I first started getting out semi-regularly. I played 9 today, at an easy local spot in hope of boosting my ego a bit, but it's more of the same...there was a glimmer of hope on a couple PW shots....but overall it was a $hitshow. How do you guys overcome mental blocks?

I'm a super newb so it hasn't happened in Golf yet, but I have various other hobbies where this has happened.

Step away. Put the clubs down, and let it go for awhile. It sounds like you are trying to force yourself to improve and it is having the reverse effect. It also sounds like because you are doing that, you are burning yourself out. That is one approach.

The other approach is take it back to the basics. As I said, I'm a super newb, but when I start hitting poorly, there are a couple of very simple, basic drills I do to get the tempo back starting with very short backswings and short follow throughs. When I start making clean contact again, I lengthen the back swing and the follow through. I also become much more conscience of my stance and holding it throughout the swing.

What would mental toughness do? A swing in shambles doesn't call on mental fortitude to correct it. I think building a repeatable swing will better serve you then trying to gain mental strength.

What would mental toughness do? A swing in shambles doesn't call on mental fortitude to correct it. I think building a repeatable swing will better serve you then trying to gain mental strength.

this is my thinking too. if you can string together a handful of quality swings in a round, then the extreme misses aren't mental they're swing related. mental toughness to me is in bouncing back after a bad break or poorly played stretch of holes. or staying focused for all 18 holes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I'm in a big time mental rut. I have a swing in scoring like crazy. 3 weeks ago I shot a PB 89, and now my last round I shot a 115. My short game is the same....decent. Everything else is in shambles. Driver, Irons, Hybrids....everything. My practice swings feel great but once I step to the ball I'm topping the ball, pushing it, hitting fat and even.......missing it altogether. My usual playing partner says I look like i did 4 years ago, when I first started getting out semi-regularly. I played 9 today, at an easy local spot in hope of boosting my ego a bit, but it's more of the same...there was a glimmer of hope on a couple PW shots....but overall it was a $hitshow. How do you guys overcome mental blocks?

That "mental block" is expectations you have. You are the cause of the problem and only you can be the solution. If you expect to shoot a certain score or expect a shot to turn out a certain way and it doesn't, you need to learn from that and apply what you've learn. Every shot is a chance to learn something and apply it to your next shot. If you dwell on the mistake then you're coming into your next shot with doubts already. Pros can turn a negative around and that is we all strive for. We know we're going to make bad shots, it's how we bounce back that makes the difference.

For example, if you are 130 yds out from a green and struggling to find the green, don't take your 130 yd club and expect to pure it next to the pin. Instead club up and swing within yourself expecting to at least get close to the green. If it happens then, hey it worked and there's a starting point. Build on that. If it doesn't work then try more club and work on making a good swing following the basic set up that you've chosen to follow. Small steps lead to bigger rewards.

I say it's mental because, when I go through my routine, and take my 1/2 swing and then full practice swing, it feels great, the club sweeps the grass the way it always has, my finish is good. Then as soon as I address the ball, the swing just feels off, where it used to just be pretty effortless.

That "mental block" is expectations you have. You are the cause of the problem and only you can be the solution. If you expect to shoot a certain score or expect a shot to turn out a certain way and it doesn't, you need to learn from that and apply what you've learn. Every shot is a chance to learn something and apply it to your next shot. If you dwell on the mistake then you're coming into your next shot with doubts already. Pros can turn a negative around and that is we all strive for. We know we're going to make bad shots, it's how we bounce back that makes the difference.

For example, if you are 130 yds out from a green and struggling to find the green, don't take your 130 yd club and expect to pure it next to the pin. Instead club up and swing within yourself expecting to at least get close to the green. If it happens then, hey it worked and there's a starting point. Build on that. If it doesn't work then try more club and work on making a good swing following the basic set up that you've chosen to follow. Small steps lead to bigger rewards.

A swing in shambles doesn't get better when you club up. A bad shot can't be learned from if it's from a bad swing. A bad shot from a consistent swing can be learned from.

A swing in shambles doesn't get better when you club up. A bad shot can't be learned from if it's from a bad swing. A bad shot from a consistent swing can be learned from.

I was speaking from personal experience.

I say it's mental because, when I go through my routine, and take my 1/2 swing and then full practice swing, it feels great, the club sweeps the grass the way it always has, my finish is good. Then as soon as I address the ball, the swing just feels off, where it used to just be pretty effortless.

A practice swing feels fluid it doesn't mean it's a good swing. I think your mistaking fluidity with consistency.

Oh, I thought you were talking to the OP.

I am. He asked a question and that's my response with example explaining what I mean. I was in his shoes a month and went from shooting high 80s/low 90s to breaking 80 three rounds in a row on the same course following exactly what I recommended he do.

I am. He asked a question and that's my response with example explaining what I mean. I was in his shoes a month and went from shooting high 80s/low 90s to breaking 80 three rounds in a row on the same course following exactly what I recommended he do.

You have a consistent swing or consistent enough. So while this may work for you it won't work for anyone that doesn't have a reliable swing. The power or thought or clubbing up doesn't correct bad swing habits.

Is it possible to shot an 89 with a bad swing? I'm not being sarcastic. I would imagine that getting a low score like that means you must be doing something right. Serious question.

Is it possible to shot an 89 with a bad swing? I'm not being sarcastic. I would imagine that getting a low score like that means you must be doing something right. Serious question.

It's not only that, I was on my way... my scores for 9 hole rounds were 46, 41(par 34), 42(par 34)...then 18 hole rounds 93, 91, 92 and 89... then 115.

If I am reading Mr. Kong correctly, yes - if the "bad" swing is consistent and repeatable.

I would say "bad" is relative. An 89 is unlikely if one's consistent swing yields a 75 yard worm burner. I think it's possible if the repeatable swing with, say, a 7 iron gives you 130 yards with a 25 yard slice and you have very good course management skills.

And to prove the point - I just shot an 89 with my swing. It's not pretty, but it was consistent, at least for a day.

Imo yes it is. A PB can even be reached with a bad swing. A bad swing can be one that works sometimes but will ultimately fail again. Reason being its not reliable and cant be counted on to always be there. When one has a bad swing working well it doesn't mean the swing is a reliable one but only means its working well at the time. Its this exact reason I went for a bunch of lessons and a rebuild.

I became so tired of wondering why for decades I can put together great hole and even great rounds at times to only then never see it last for too long and then back to really horrible play again. That was/is due to a swing that cant be counted on. And is what this year I finally trying to stop via good lessons, knowledge about my swing and good process of practice I been taught. My goal is to posses a swing much more dependable. Will I get there? IDK but its slowly been working a little better and better as time moves on.

I have yet break my PB that I got with a bad unreliable swing that seemed to work great that day. But my average golf is far better and far more consitant and that new PB is sure to come eventualy. But pint is my over all play is getting much better and it is very possible to play really good golf with a bad swing. I did it before. But the difference is that it will not last and only come in spurts while the bad swing is temporarily working that day and/or for the time being. That's how I view it.

You don't need a good swing to shoot 89, especially if you can putt. You can make an awful swing half the time and still break 90 if you miss in the correct spots.

It's not only that, I was on my way... my scores for 9 hole rounds were 46, 41(par 34), 42(par 34)...then 18 hole rounds 93, 91, 92 and 89... then 115.

One way to look at it is you just had a bad day, we all have them. You go out on that first hole or two and play poorly and then in your mind start to think you have to get those shots back on the next few holes so maybe you swing a little harder or put more pressure on yourself or overthink your shot. It just snowballs into a poor score. Go relax and play a few more rounds and see if that is just an outlier bad day round or if it is more consistent then reevaluate.

Really like this. Something I've been trying this year for all non tee shots: as part of my setup, a practice swing and actually look at where the club is bottoming out. Change what I need to change to find the bottom, then step in and swing. Has drastically reduced chunks. The ground isn't flat, the ball is below, above my feet, slant to the right, slant to the left,deep grass, fairway, whatever.

I've added that to my setup routine. Its nice to have only one or two chunks a round, if that. Now I can work on aiming, lol

I've experienced what you're talking about when addressing your ball. The mistake I make is not fixing it immediately. I can tell, if I'm over a ball and it just doesn't feel right, that shot is a 100% fail rate. Now, that doesn't mean I have 100% success rate when I "feel good" at address but at l know I'm starting from a positive position. I had to step back and re-address my ball probably close to a dozen times yesterday on the course. They just didn't feel right and I was sick of costing myself strokes by "proceeding with launch" when I didn't feel confident over my ball.

It may work for you, it may not. But, if you're "not feeling it" over your ball, re-address with a new approach and mindset right back to your ball. Good luck.

Really like this. Something I've been trying this year for all non tee shots: as part of my setup, a practice swing and actually look at where the club is bottoming out. Change what I need to change to find the bottom, then step in and swing. Has drastically reduced chunks. The ground isn't flat, the ball is below, above my feet, slant to the right, slant to the left,deep grass, fairway, whatever.

I've added that to my setup routine. Its nice to have only one or two chunks a round, if that. Now I can work on aiming, lol

can I ask what you are scoring on the course lately?

You sir have what we call golf IQ. You know where you have a weakness and are able to self correct with a simple movement. This is half the battle that a lot do not possess.

Its all in your head :bulgy-eyes: You need to give yourself permission to be better. It is somewhat appropriate there is someone with a Panda avatar posting in this thread.
Read Zen Golf. Practice it and live it. Learn to relax over the ball and to accept your bad shots. Even better learn how to give yourself permission to shoot lower scores.

Solid ideas here regarding the practice swing. I have been doing part of what you have mentioned here and it has certainly helped. Like you, aiming is a major concern of mine. I have hit shots several times which end up going where I was aiming (as per my playing partners). Unfortunately, where I was aiming was not where I wanted to.

can I ask what you are scoring on the course lately?

Since July 1, on the same course, a par 68-62.9/110,mens blues-97,84,85,93,86,86- Is my hcp getting any better? Nope, also played at three courses I only play once a year and shot 107, 100, 96.

I didn't realize how much familiarity on a course helps. Club selection, breaks, hazards

As to the OP's original post-that large stroke gap ( say an 85 one day and a 115 the next) is just normal for me. It's golf, I'm not a pro. I gotta accept that.

I also have to constantly remember to get the ball in the hole in the fewest number of strokes. No shooting at sucker pins (I'll only make 1 or 2 out of 10), lay up when I know I can only carry the hazard 1 or 2 out of 10. and make bogie-my par. Shooting 90 on a par 72, off the mens whites is a great day golfing.

I play with guys who want to hit it 300 off the tee, maybe find the ball, maybe not- try and fly all the hazards, shoot all the sucker pins, rarely make a shot, only count the good shots, and they have a great day golfing

Back