The Movie Review Thread

Iron Claw - posted about in Pro Wrestling thread. It was descent then the last half hour was real bad.

Ferrari - It had one of the most gruesome scenes I can remember in a movie. Yikes. Interesting story but not a must see.

Iron Claw - posted about in Pro Wrestling thread. It was descent then the last half hour was real bad.

Ferrari - It had one of the most gruesome scenes I can remember in a movie. Yikes. Interesting story but not a must see.
Interesting. Iron Claw has near universal positive reviews. That was potentially my next one to see.

Interesting. Iron Claw has near universal positive reviews. That was potentially my next one to see.
I didn't go in expecting a documentary and 100% facts. They played loose with the truth for awhile but the Ric Flair casting was awful. The Kerry storylines were so poorly excuted it was painful.

Killers of the Flower Moon - yes, it is long, probably too long by 45 mins - but it's hard to tell the story without the minutia that goes with it, and it's a bit more complex than some stories.

I think Scorcese took a bit of a chance with this movie that seems a bit out of his comfort zone. I don't think it was bad at all, and it while long, I did not need to pause it nor did I lose interest, the acting, as always in his films was terrific, as was the the directing.

I did the end was a bit strange/odd/oddly funny - but correct and accurate for the times.

I think all in all, good film.

The Holdovers, also saw, and it was a great movie, I liked it, I guess Giamatti as he always seems to do, makes another great role/film. If not for Oppenheimer I could see him winning best actor easily. Honestly his acting was better, but Oppenheimer was more a blockbuster and will take awards as a result.

Barbie - fun movie but was not especially fond of it, would have preferred to watch something else, that said, I have 2 very strong daughters and was glad to see they liked the movie, I admitted that I did not have the background to understand it as they had.

Oppenheimer - great film start to finish, not too long, maybe a bit quirky here and there making one wonder why some parts were included and others not.

All in all, only Barbie would I not want to see a second time - an maybe killers as it's a long film - not sure if I said that hahahaha)

@JW Smoove - Hold your Best Actor predictions until you see Maestro. Bradley Cooper and Carey Mulligan seem like shoe-ins for Best Actor / Actress to me. They were phenomenal. I think Maestro takes some of the under the radar awards such as Makeup, Music, etc., too.

Saw that movie also. Not sure why, but i wasn’t impressed. I think the talk was so strong that the bar was really high

It’s another great film/story and acting too, but it didn’t wow me.

@JW Smoove - Hold your Best Actor predictions until you see Maestro. Bradley Cooper and Carey Mulligan seem like shoe-ins for Best Actor / Actress to me. They were phenomenal. I think Maestro takes some of the under the radar awards such as Makeup, Music, etc., too.
You really hit the nail on the head. Cooper's best performances before this were a star is born and silver linings playbook in my opinion, but his role as bernstein in maestro was one of the best I have ever seen. If he doesn't win best actor something is seriously wrong with the whole academy award system. I have seen all of the best actor award performances and his only competition IMO is murphy in oppenheimer. His acting has come a long way since the hangover and wedding crashers lol. The movie itself wasn't great. I don't think it has a chance for best picture but agree it should win several awards

Mulligan was exceptional too. Had never seen her before this

You really hit the nail on the head. Cooper's best performances before this were a star is born and silver linings playbook in my opinion, but his role as bernstein in maestro was one of the best I have ever seen. If he doesn't win best actor something is seriously wrong with the whole academy award system. I have seen all of the best actor award performances and his only competition IMO is murphy in oppenheimer. His acting has come a long way since the hangover and wedding crashers lol. The movie itself wasn't great. I don't think it has a chance for best picture but agree it should win several awards

Mulligan was exceptional too. Had never seen her before this
Murphy was very good but his role wasn’t nearly as demanding as Cooper’s. That’s also true of the other best actor roles I’ve seen so far. It is Cooper hands down, IMO.

Cooper's best performances before this were a star is born and silver linings playbook in my opinion, but his role as bernstein in maestro was one of the best I have ever seen.
Are we just going to pretend like Wet Hot American Summer didn't happen?!?!

what.gif

I'm sorry to report that "Bob Marley: One Love" was only okay. It was great to hear a lot of his music and get some flavor for how the songs came about but the overall story and production wasn't all that IMO.

I'm sorry to report that "Bob Marley: One Love" was only okay. It was great to hear a lot of his music and get some flavor for how the songs came about but the overall story and production wasn't all that IMO.
Seeing that trailer did absolutely nothing for me. Just seems like it would be just an ok movie, unlike many other similar movies about musicians.

Two new best pic nominees I've watched this week. Anatomy of a fall and the holdovers. Both very good

"Poor Things". Worst movie I've seen in quite some time. Wait, what? 11 Oscar nominations? What a joke. I wish I could unsee some of the imagery from this movie (and unhear most of the dialogue), it's really really bad IMHO. Not my cup of tea.

"Poor Things". Worst movie I've seen in quite some time. Wait, what? 11 Oscar nominations? What a joke. I wish I could unsee some of the imagery from this movie (and unhear most of the dialogue), it's really really bad IMHO. Not my cup of tea.
Thats on my list. Ruffalo is nom for best actor for this one i believe

Watched Madame Webb the other night. Can't recommend.

Back