The no club left behind rule......

I'm in the camp that it would be stealing if you kept something. You definitely pick it up and leave it at the next tee box at a minimum so that if someone is driving through people will have seen it on the tee box and be able to let them know. I probably call the clubhouse and let them know I picked it up and have it and which hole I am on and when I am done if the person hasn't driven by to claim it I leave it in the clubhouse. Doesn't matter if it is a $5 wedge or a $1000 putter.

Personally, it cound be a Honma Berea $5,000 dollar driver... that's something I'd probably hit social media looking for the owner and notify the pro shop that the club is in my possession... I'd do the same thing if it was a lefty one of a kind Scotty Cameron whatever high dollar putter with Phil Mickelson's name engraved on it... I would hopefully recognize the value of the club and try to find the owner... it's not mine. I'd figure the owner knows it's missing... and would appreciate it's return.

Something like a Vokey SM8, going to the pro shop.

The other week, I'm heading out to my car and I see an ID badge laying on the ground in a parking lot. I recognize it for what it is and know it controls access to logging into a network. It's not something that should be left unattended. I picked it up and hesitated in my decision... do I take it home and read the card for its assigned owner, or hand it over to help desk personnel... that the card owner may or may not have access to regain possession of their card. (Separate buildings all across campus.)

I put the card in my pocket because, honestly I didn't want to walk across the parking lot to another building. As I'm in my car and plugging in my phone for my ride home, I see a person come back to the parking lot out of the corner of my eye... I see them go through their car and appear to be looking for something.

I pulled my car up and rolled my window down... "you look like you might have lost something..." "I lost an ID card... description is this..."
I hand it to him out the window. He was very appreciative.

I'd like to think I'd do the same thing for anything like what would normally be found on a golf course... now, a suitcase of cash left in a field surrounded by dead bodies? I'm leaving that... or a bag of cash that fell out of an armored truck? I'm probably giving that back too.

Bad karma's not worth it. Besides, I wasn't raised that way.

I've personally returned and envelope of papers (I forget what was inside, but I seem to recall a car registration with an address on it) several miles (20, maybe, I could get exact number if it's needed) to the owner.

I think being missed here is that I think if I can find the owner of the missing stuff, then I'm giving it back every time. If I do some leg work and it comes up empty, then so be it.

Some people claim that they take everything they find back to the pro shop, but I doubt that's true.

As far as cash, I feel the same way. If I see it fall out to the back of an armored truck or the suitcase has identifying information on it, then it's getting returned. Otherwise, I'm going to ask around and try to determine the owner, if I can't find one, then it is what it is.

I found $15 outside the Visitor's Center on base one day in Guam. Everyone that needs on base that doesn't have access goes through it to get cleared on base. I walked in, asked the ~10 people inside if anyone lost any money. One clown spoke up and asked how much I found. I chuckled and told him to tell me how much he lost. No one claimed it. Case closed. I'd do it again the same way if I found $15, $150, $1500 or any other sum of unidentified money.

It doesn't matter what the value is, or what the circumstances are that caused it to come into my possession.

You'd return someone else's property found on the course no matter the value?

I'm in the camp that it would be stealing if you kept something. You definitely pick it up and leave it at the next tee box at a minimum so that if someone is driving through people will have seen it on the tee box and be able to let them know. I probably call the clubhouse and let them know I picked it up and have it and which hole I am on and when I am done if the person hasn't driven by to claim it I leave it in the clubhouse. Doesn't matter if it is a $5 wedge or a $1000 putter.

What about a $0.10 tee?

If I'm able to satisfy myself that I've done what I consider the right thing returning found property on a golf course, I'm cool with that.

Taking it to the Nth degree like you're asking, if I find a tee left on a tee box, it's mine now. Free tee.
If there's an errant ball on the course, I'll leave it. I don't know if it was hit there from 2 fairways over.
Errant ball in a water hazard? Dibs! It's mine if I can get it... but I don't have a ball retriever and I don't make a habit of looking for water balls.

Just had this moment last weekend. I missed way right off the tee and was punching out of the woods. I took two clubs in to the forest and only came out with one. 🤦‍♂️ Luckily I realized it on the next tee box. There it was, leaning against the tree waiting for me lol.

Good recovery of your club(y)

That sucks. Hope someone turns it in, call back today, maybe they were a group that was still on the course.

Very rare that I leave a club behind (probably jinxed myself) usually I'm walking so I don't typically have more than one club out.

Worse observation of it, at my home course years ago, this one bro left the same club on three consecutive holes, told him the third time if he did it again we were keeping it.

Fair warning with 3 chances.

Years ago I left a club in a course in NC.
We were scheduled to play a course on the way home in Delaware.
when I got on the first green I realized I left my PW in North Carolina.
DAMN!
Since then I carry a blue towel with me whenever I have any club. Can’t miss a blue towel in the green grass. The club gets left on the towel, keeps the grips dry also.
haven’t lost a club since!
1 costly expense - no more
But I lose towels, also. Trying to figure out where favorite is right now. Been without it for my last few rounds.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

After finishing 18 today, I came across a glove lying on the cart path, which goes across the back of #18 between holes 9 & 10. Two of the guys I had been playing with saw one of the other members drive by on his way to #10 as we finished, and they headed up there to join him and play a few more holes. I called one of them and told them to ask the other member if he lost his glove. It wasn't his, so I dropped it off at the pro shop on my way out. Just an old ratty glove, but it belongs to somebody and they might be wondering where it went.

Thankfully, I've never lost or left a club behind. The only place I have a chance of losing a club is if I take a wedge and a putter to the green, but after I finish with the wedge, I put it on the fridge between the cup and the cart. But one time I was playing with my dad and my brothers, and I lost 1 of 3 balls on the practice putting green. Really irked the heck out of me. And this was when I was the only person I knew personally that I played with that used Cut Golf balls. 14 holes later, riding into the fairway, we arrive where my youngest brother's ball landed, and it was a Cut Blue like I played. Before that hole he'd been playing Callaway Hex Diablo. To me, that was worse than some stranger stealing a wedge. My own brother stole my ball from me on the practice green and then wanted to fist fight 14 holes later when I found out. But as far as finding clubs, I definitely pick them I try and catch up to the group ahead to ask if it's theirs. I figure I should do what I would want done for me.

Been awhile but a few years ago left my 7i by the green and it was returned a few holes later by a walker behind us that caught up to us. Done it a few times but the club was always returned.

hell, I walked off the range yesterday and left my phone sitting on a club rack.....used a friends phone and call the pro shop walking down #4 and it was already turned in. Biggest issue where i play is someone will pick up your ball in a HEARTBEAT

I was walking 9 a few years back when I heard a cell phone ring. There was a phone lying on the turf in the middle of the fairway. I answered it and spoke with the VERY happy (and lucky) owner of the phone. He dropped by and picked it up and insisted on giving me a $20 despite my reluctance... I tipped the bartender with it later.

I don't care if i find a ratty head cover that may not be asked for, i turn everything in. Karma is a vindictive B@$%^.....A couple of weeks ago i found a Phycadelic looking purple one-hitter pipe in the fairway of #9. I turned it in at the pro shop. I play there often and the pro and i laughed about , lets see who claims this....no one has so far

How about the no rangefinder left behind club? 😓 Hoping for a call from the course I played yesterday.

If I lost a glove, I'd not bother checking for it. I'd figure someone would just pitch it in the trash.

I'm thinking that pipe was used for pot.

How about the no rangefinder left behind club? 😓 Hoping for a call from the course I played yesterday.
Did you drop it or lose it, or did it fall off of a magnetic mount or something?

Hope you get it back

Would labels on everything be a good idea? I've seen the stick on labels that some places sell for clubs... are they a good idea?

I lost a rangefinder, too, a long time ago.

Did you drop it or lose it, or did it fall off of a magnetic mount or something?

Hope you get it back
It must have bounced out of the cart. I’m perplexed, I noticed it before I even got 100 yards away and retraced my route numerous times. Unfortunately this will likely end up be a costly accident.

Mmm, yeah, "lost" one of those once when I accidentally left it in the cart. Also "lost" a pair of Oakley sunglasses once the same way. It's a crappy feeling, and I'd never want to intentionally be a part of making somebody else feel the same way.

That glove I found and turned in the other day? Another guy drove past it right before me, slowed to look and see what it was, then drove right past and left it lying there. Why not make the small extra effort to pick it up and turn it in at the end of your round?

It must have bounced out of the cart. I’m perplexed, I noticed it before I even got 100 yards away and retraced my route numerous times. Unfortunately this will likely end up be a costly accident.
Man I hope it finds its way back to you

Back