The Official Banter Away Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Courses revert to lower rates because of lack of play unfortunately. Lack of play equals no money for course maintenance or up keep. Then the course goes to sh*t and all they can charge is the lower rate now. Its a downward spiral that is tough to reverse....

But it’s tee sheet is full. I blew thru the first 4 holes without as much as a hesitation on each shot. On the 5th hole ran into another single that wouldn’t join up. There was a twosome in front of him and they had another twosome in front of them. I think it’s the management company, American Golf, being cheap.

But it’s tee sheet is full. I blew thru the first 4 holes without as much as a hesitation on each shot. On the 5th hole ran into another single that wouldn’t join up. There was a twosome in front of him and they had another twosome in front of them. I think it’s the management company, American Golf, being cheap.

And that could be.....im just assuming here.

That doesn't exactly sound full. Even not counting the space you blew through, I count, at most, 6 of 16 spots filled.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

That doesn't exactly sound full. Even not counting the space you blew through, I count, at most, 6 of 16 spots filled.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Well considering these times fall under “super twilight” rate wise I guess I see it as they were getting spots paid for knowing 9 holes out of 18 were only possible. But you are correct about not being full groups.

"My local muni needs a new super"

I played a course like that once....once!

The worst course I played was similar. Thr best part was when a maintenance worker ran over my ball on the green, which he was mowing with a Dixie chopper.

Played a place like this a couple weeks ago in St Louis. The layout of the course was spectacular.....the conditions were damn near unplayable. But it was packed!

I dunno.....

thread got deleted while I responding to Alez....so I'll quote him here.

the bolded text is where I completely agree with you. While I can appreciate apples to apples testing, I prefer to see testing from golfers like me with similar swing aspects.

it's always a catch 22 right? Robot testing is cool because it takes out many variables and brings consistency. Most of us are consistent with our swings, but those consistencies bring in our faults. We just made the same-ish non-perfect swing. SO you have the camp that wants Robot testing, a true apples to apples result. Go through some of the youtube comments for club reviews and you'll see the full gambit of what people ask for. People want another testing to show what a club does for the "common golfer". Or you have people who don't want that but want a Rick Shiels, TXG type of testing. In the end, the consumer will always defend their product choice regardless of how it shakes out in these tests. So the guy who really likes the EXS driver will talk about how good it has been for him and how it stacks up to everything else. Yet if you watch Range Days, there is evidence that the ball speeds were considerably lower than other drivers tested on the market.

Played a place like this a couple weeks ago in St Louis. The layout of the course was spectacular.....the conditions were damn near unplayable. But it was packed!

I dunno.....

Which course. Grand Marias

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which course. Grand Marias

No, Normandie GC. A friend of mine was signed up to play in the Normandie Amateur Championshop and im caddying for him this year in various tournaments and this was one of them. He wanted to go play it weekend before last to see the layout, take notes, ect. And im glad we did before we showed up for the tourney. It was bad!!!!!!!! We walked off after 9. Which is disappointing because the layout is freakin awesome

thread got deleted while I responding to Alez....so I'll quote him here.

it's always a catch 22 right? Robot testing is cool because it takes out many variables and brings consistency. Most of us are consistent with our swings, but those consistencies bring in our faults. We just made the same-ish non-perfect swing. SO you have the camp that wants Robot testing, a true apples to apples result. Go through some of the youtube comments for club reviews and you'll see the full gambit of what people ask for. People want another testing to show what a club does for the "common golfer". Or you have people who don't want that but want a Rick Shiels, TXG type of testing. In the end, the consumer will always defend their product choice regardless of how it shakes out in these tests. So the guy who really likes the EXS driver will talk about how good it has been for him and how it stacks up to everything else. Yet if you watch Range Days, there is evidence that the ball speeds were considerably lower than other drivers tested on the market.

thanks for not letting the conversation die as testing is an idea that I think gets people going. I'm of the camp that prefers human data gathering but I understand why OEMs use robot testing. I think the human aspect is what brings the bias out. Just as you pointed out, even when hard data shows something is bad numbers wise people will be quick to point out that they are the exception by which people should really pay attention to rather the hard numbers proof.

The Official Banter Away Thread

No, Normandie GC. A friend of mine was signed up to play in the Normandie Amateur Championshop and im caddying for him this year in various tournaments and this was one of them. He wanted to go play it weekend before last to see the layout, take notes, ect. And im glad we did before we showed up for the tourney. It was bad!!!!!!!! We walked off after 9. Which is disappointing because the layout is freakin awesome

Wow. That’s a shocker. It’s not the best course but pretty good for the money. Plus it’s usually in its best shape for the Normandie amateur.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also here are the plans for normandie.

https://www.stltoday.com/news/local...cle_187d0e9f-a34d-5081-812a-bfe9dcad968c.html

thanks for not letting the conversation die as testing is an idea that I think gets people going. I'm of the camp that prefers human data gathering but I understand why OEMs use robot testing. I think the human aspect is what brings the bias out. Just as you pointed out, even when hard data shows something is bad numbers wise people will be quick to point out that they are the exception by which people should really pay attention to rather the hard numbers proof.

I thought the conversational path it was going was worth carrying over. I'm a human test guy myself, but I do recognize there are some ares and formats that robot testing can open my eyes. At least enough to gauge my interest and make me want to take the next step, which would be testing the product myself.

Wife started with the, do you want another kid convo....NO, NO I DO NOT! 1 was enough, please pray for me ya'll I can't do another lol.

I thought the conversational path it was going was worth carrying over. I'm a human test guy myself, but I do recognize there are some ares and formats that robot testing can open my eyes. At least enough to gauge my interest and make me want to take the next step, which would be testing the product myself.

Definitely agree on that. I guess the hesitation to depend on robot testing for quantifying something as “the best” means the it’s ultimately out of range for anyone not able to duplicate the required swing speed and motion as the robot did.

Definitely agree on that. I guess the hesitation to depend on robot testing for quantifying something as “the best” means the it’s ultimately out of range for anyone not able to duplicate the required swing speed and motion as the robot did.

yeah, I'm not a fan of declaring a best. Perhaps if I am doing a wide test of drivers I could say what is the best, but that best only suits me.

I believe that ALL testing is very beneficial - so long as the parameters are clearly laid out. Robots eliminate variables. Humans bring the subjective into play.

OEMs have robots and ball cannons for a reason, but the fact that they also crave feedback from everyday golfers, Tour golfers etc shows that to make the best decisions all avenues need to be addressed and learned from.

yeah, I'm not a fan of declaring a best. Perhaps if I am doing a wide test of drivers I could say what is the best, but that best only suits me.

You think, given the technology readily available now such as portable monitors and high tech cameras, golfers will ever be presented with testing info in a manner that corresponds with normal everyday golfer categories?

I guess the question becomes: "Can one ball really be the BEST at everything?" The answer is always "No", because different players want different spin rates and different feels. That said, every golfer wants maximum ball speed off the driver so I feel like a "Fastest at X speed" category could easily be misconstrued for best.

Wow. That’s a shocker. It’s not the best course but pretty good for the money. Plus it’s usually in its best shape for the Normandie amateur.
Also here are the plans for normandie.

https://www.stltoday.com/news/local...cle_187d0e9f-a34d-5081-812a-bfe9dcad968c.html

Yeah I told him there isn't any way this place was going to be much better in less than a months time so he pulled out. It sucks because you can tell its an old course but the layout is phenomenal. The whole time we were saying man this place is cool but the conditions are just unplayable. It looked like the fairways were flooded and washed out, bunkers were washed out and all of them were full of water and it wasn't just from a recent rain either, greens weren't terrible but they weren't ideal. I can go on and on.

Great article and great to hear a potential plan for it. I would love to go back and play it and wished we were still playing in the tourney

Wife started with the, do you want another kid convo....NO, NO I DO NOT! 1 was enough, please pray for me ya'll I can't do another lol.

Hey, I went back and forth for 2 years with mine. I'd want one, she didn't! I didn't, she did! We both realized last Saturday we didn't want another one. Donated all the baby stuff in the closet and attic. She comes to me the next day and says I don't feel right. Takes a pregnancy test and would you know it....it was positive! There's my life in a nutshell! Buckle up and hang on!

Well, the ball review guide was interesting. A great read really. But, there is still a human element to consider. Just like this last weekend at the Ultimate Titleist event, a couple of the guys was fit into the AVX because it was best for their game. Even though it didn't perform great in the MGS test. I still like my Costco balls. Hard to beat for the price. If I played more and was more consistent, I would look into getting fit for a premium ball.

Well, the ball review guide was interesting. A great read really. But, there is still a human element to consider. Just like this last weekend at the Ultimate Titleist event, a couple of the guys was fit into the AVX because it was best for their game. Even though it didn't perform great in the MGS test. I still like my Costco balls. Hard to beat for the price. If I played more and was more consistent, I would look into getting fit for a premium ball.

You can get premium balls for excellent prices

You can get premium balls for excellent prices

Does this test change your opinion on your Q-star? Do you switch to the Z-star now?

Does this test change your opinion on your Q-star? Do you switch to the Z-star now?

No, the QST does everything I need it to do and at $29 a doz its just hard to beat. I don't lose many balls so its not so much that, but why pay more and get the same? For me at least.

Now, not sure if you have been following in the ERC thread but I have been dabbling with the ERC ball the past two rounds and im really liking what it offers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back