The Opposite Clubs: How Would it Impact You

My clubs are middle of the road right now, I think that my score wouldn’t change if I have to play SGI clubs, I do think that it would go up if I have to play blades..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've played 3 times down here in Mexico, and each time I had to use the rental sets with large profile irons. I seem to actually hit them straighter, but distance control was spotty.

If the course was firm I would probably shoot 11 strokes worse on average.

The Opposite Clubs: How Would it Impact You

I’ve done it before by playing a few rounds with bigger irons. Doesn’t tend to really impact anything for me overall scoring wise. I live and die around the greens, so irons don’t tend to effect my scores too much either way as long as I know my distances with them.

Would be course dependent, but if I were to play mbs I’m thinking my score would go up a good 5-6 strokes a round. It’s close to as dramatic a difference in scoring as I could make.

For me, switching to MB would probably raise my score at least 10!

Long or short term? Feedback on muscle back irons should help you improve your ball contact, and shape your shots. And a bigger, more forgiving profile iron should help shot dispersion.
I'm not getting younger so forgiving irons should be the direction I go, but I really enjoy the looks and feel of more traditional irons. Honestly, not sure it would change my game all that much. I need to improve my short game.

Edit: My bad. You don't have to say 10 rounds again I just needed to comprehend. Gapping is something I'm working hard on now getting back into playing. It would not take much if anything to get used to a new set up. I imagine a larger profile iron would help. Wild guess of 1 to 2 shots a round?

Last edited:
Let's say you play players' irons and you were told you had to switch to the largest profile irons out there for 10 rounds. Or the opposite in that you play hybrid irons, and you have to switch to muscleback irons for the next 10 rounds. How would it impact your score and why?

I think my hook would get worse and my already-too-high ball flight would get higher.

I am still quite inconsistent at times. I would say when I am on with my irons it wouldn't make a huge difference but I am sure it would make some. When I am not hitting them well, its not going to make me any worse :banghead:

I honestly feel i'd stay about the same. I'm a tinkerer...i like using different clubs. I routinely switch between 5 or 6 drivers and have played 6 different iron sets this year from old, unforgiving Sam Snead Blue Ridge to my XR Steelheads. Score is always about the same. I notice a difference in distance but I generally keep the ball in play and make forward progress. Hitting a ball is hitting a ball. My scores tend to fluctuate due to how I putt on that particular day not due to the forgiveness or size of the heads on my irons..

All I can say is I have absolutely no idea. I've only had one good set of irons (Ping Karstens) that I've been using for the last 5 years so don't know what the effect would be.

I moved from Callaway X2 Hots (SGI) to TM P770s (entry level players iron) about 6 months ago and believe my iron game improved. Mentally I actually find the smaller profile easier to hit and I think that this has something to do with turf interaction. A few weeks ago I was on a business trip and rented clubs for a round (Cobra F7) which are much larger than my 770s and I felt like i was swinging clown feet.

The 770s are definitely weaker lofted than the X2 Hots so there was an iron to iron distance loss but overall I feel the control is significantly better.

I think my biggest issue would be going from mallet to blade putter

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I have no idea, but it sounds like a fun experiment....if I had access to more equipment and played more often.

I'd have to move to something like the Rogue X irons. If I could play my same GW, SW, LW and keep the shafts the same on the game improvement 4-PW, my index would be hurt very little, maybe a stroke worse. They only difference is that I'd lose some distance control that would cause maybe one or two more difficult chips/pitches per round.

I don’t think it would affect me much either way. Maybe a few strokes? Probably quickly adjust to whatever set in a few rounds. I have played several different brands and sets so that I haven’t been consistent in one iron set.

While I'm not great with irons by any means, I've always hit blades pretty well. I hit them straight, but I don't hit them as far as game improvement irons. It may not even be possible to add anymore to what I already score lol. My hands hurt just thinking about it though.

I feel like I can play just about any type of clubs and it’s not gonna change my scores more than 2-3 strokes per round. It’s part of the reason I play what I like the looks of best most of the time.

I'd say a stroke or two in terms of averages moving from the Apex to a more players iron/blade. Did this experiment a bit last year, and didn't have a huge dropoff, but my bad days were worse for sure. Good days were about the same.

I really don’t know, though I expect it would be a fun experiment! If I had to guess, I’d say +10. Maybe less if I knew distances.

Errrr, so would my 3 & 4 hybrid become blades whilst my other irons get all chunky?

If thats the case I'd probably score worse, I use my irons around the green a fair bit and some chunky monkeys just wouldn't look or feel right.

Would be fun hitting low 3/4 irons off the tee again though

In a way, this is exactly what I did with my Morgan Cup bag. I had been playing a players profile for years, but now have the F9 irons in my bag. The F9s are not what I would call super game improvement, but the profile likely puts them on the far side of game improvement. You definitely see the proverbial “junk in the trunk” from 7 iron down. Over ten rounds, it is hard to see much of a difference, but most of the play has been on difficult courses and at sea level, whereas I play at 4000 feet elevation. There certainly has been no downside to making the move, though, and I truly enjoy the irons.

Now, going beyond the specific query of the next ten rounds, when all is said and done, I am thinking that my handicap will not be any different due to iron play. On my good days, I hit 12 or 13 GIR on the courses I play regularly. As we all know, handicap measures potential and of the twenty scores used to calculate handicap, the ten worst scores are not part of the calculation. But, I firmly believe that the F9s will keep my bad scores a little lower, so my range of scoring will tighten up. There is no question that they are easier to hit.

I am currently laid up for a bit physically, but I am excited to see what the res of the year brings, because the F9s are great irons and there certainly has been no downside to putting them in the bag.

Last edited:
I play crossover clubs that slightly edge toward the players side. I doubt that switching to crossover clubs that edged toward GI would make much difference.

Probably not a huge amount but I definitely would be using my wedges more from longer distances.

Back