The Pre-Shot Routine - What's Yours? Do you work on it?

DNice26

Happy to be here...
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Hey all,

One thing that stands out to me is how a solid, consistent pre-shot routine pays dividends for results. You can watch the pros and in most cases time each routine perhaps down to seconds.

So my question to you is, do you truly have one? If so, do you work on it to make it more consistent? Do you happen to time it?

What elements have you added to yours? Have you taken any out that you deemed unnecessary?

Throwing out some pre-shot elements:
  • Breathing
  • Timing
  • Stance
  • Grip
  • Practice swing(s)
  • Mental thoughts (relax, swing easy, slow take away etc.)

Lastly, I would be SUPER interested to see data on Pros pre-shot routines. For example, how long each pro typically takes and perhaps if there seems to be a sweet spot for that timing. I'm not sure it would translate to Amateurs, because we don't have caddies that may add a complexity to the timing, but would be interesting. I guess one issue might be how to define when the pre-shot routine formally begins. I guess I would argue it is from the moment the guy pulls the club from the bag.

I feel like the pre-shot routine is perhaps a less researched component of golf performance/results.

Stand behind ball and take 2 practice swings, look for the line. Address the ball, look at target once and go.
Pretty plain for me and nothing to serious.

Stand behind ball and take 2 practice swings, look for the line. Address the ball, look at target once and go.
Pretty plain for me and nothing to serious.

Have you considered adding elements? For example, do you have mental checks for stance/alignment, grip consistency, posture, breathing etc.?

Lastly, is this something you specifically practice when you go to the driving range to formalize and set?

Have you considered adding elements? For example, do you have mental checks for stance/alignment, grip consistency, posture, breathing etc.?

Lastly, is this something you specifically practice when you go to the driving range to formalize and set?
With my stance I do, it has been something that was changed a bit so if it "feels" off then I know it is correct right now. If not I know I have slipped back into the old stance and I will adjust.
I need to work on it more, when I do get to the range (mostly all closed right now)

For me it's breathing. I take a few breaths to get centered and a few swings to release the tension in my arms. Find my target and swing away.

I take a little half swing to make sure I am loose. I start from behind the ball and pick a spot within 10 feet of the ball as my target line. I get my left (top hand) settled in the grip. While walking in to the ball I get both hands on the club. I set the club down targeted at the close spot, make sure my feet are aligned parallel to the target line (I visualize a line coming from behind the club, through the clubface to the intermediate spot. One thing that is unique about my process is I don't look at the target again on full swings.

I do practice it. When on the range the majority of my shots I start from behind the ball. I don't start with the little swing but I do practice the rest of the process. I tend to go through range balls much slower than most people but I always have a specific target and intent for each swing on the range.

Have you ever read Finnegans Wake?

Pick a line. One 3/4 practice swing. Stance. Stick to 1;or 2 swing thoughts. Go.

Add 2-3 practice swings if it's a weird lie or stance.

This is a good one thanks for posting.
first, pick spot in front of ball for line, im pretty much eye balling that spot all the way walking up to address
next i get my feet square on path line, shoulders square to feet, little knee bend, little butt sit
next i check my grip, look at club head square with my feet, chin up
next the important part, i tell myself quickly left arm straight and take the club back nice and easy
im sure im leaving something out but this is the jist of it..

I think it would be interesting to see if there is a relationship between handicap and the detail/consistency of the pre-shot routine. I bet there is a clear relationship. The more detailed, consistent routines are associated with a lower cap.

Having said that, if you believe my hypothesis......for the guys with higher caps, would you consider trying to be more detailed about your pre-shot routine and practicing it specifically at the range for example? Do you play with lower caps? If so, have you compared your pre-shot to theirs (i.e. specific elements, timing etc.)?

My pre-shot routine is one my better personal shot savers. It's also my best solution to slow play. It's a part of my mental game, and course management.

When practicing I use it on a consistent basis for all shots. I don't just hit/rake balls. It helps to give every practice shot a purpose.

My "psr" starts as I approach my next shot. I take in what's in front of me. What my last shot left me with. I have also heard this called a "post shot routine".

By the time I get to my next shot, (walking/riding) I already have my distance, type of shot, course reads, and club selection pretty much figured out.

When it's my time to hit is when my "psr" realy kicks in. I get my mental focus in gear, get my two aim points lined up, align my club face with those aim points, step into my stance, check my posture, check my aim one last time, and make my swing. It takes about 10-15 seconds if that. Done deal, and I off to my next shot.

If something doesn't look, or feel right before starting my back swing, I will step away from the ball and start my hitting "psr" all over again.

My short game pitch, chip, and putting "psr" is basically the same as my longer game. Only diffrence is I spend a little extra time on my green reads. I will read the roll of the green on some pitches, most chips, and all putts.

The basic idea of playing golf is to get through that round of golf, with fewest strokes played. A pre-shot routine helps with this.

I think it would be interesting to see if there is a relationship between handicap and the detail/consistency of the pre-shot routine. I bet there is a clear relationship. The more detailed, consistent routines are associated with a lower cap.

Having said that, if you believe my hypothesis......for the guys with higher caps, would you consider trying to be more detailed about your pre-shot routine and practicing it specifically at the range for example? Do you play with lower caps? If so, have you compared your pre-shot to theirs (i.e. specific elements, timing etc.)?
my pre shot routine is the same on the range, practice what you play or however that saying goes.

Mine should be grab a club, walk up and hit the ball and watch it go.

Mine actually is similar to the above... find a target in front of the ball, grip my club, practice swing to find the bottom of the arc. Address the ball, check my alignment and distance from the ball. A couple of swing thoughts of back straight, right arm stiff. Spine angle. And swing.

Sometimes I can put my club back in the bag. Other times I walk a few feet to my ball and do it all over again.

Sight to target. Get in position. Club head aligned to target. Swing and hit ball to target. :cool:

I keep it very very simple.

1. Look at the target and pick a line/shot that I want to hit.
2. two-practice swings to feel that shot.
3. pick a spot about 6 feet in front of my ball as an intermediate target.
4. address ball, look at intermediate target then target.
5. Swing.

follow the KISS method here ...

1. Find a landing spot and line.
2. two nice and easy practice swings making sure to clip the spot I want to hit.
3. align the ball in place of stance.
4. pick a spot on the ball to concentrate and aim...
5. Swing away!

look at target. look at ball. swing...stuff goes on in between looking at the ball and the swing but it's just static :LOL:

I stand behind the ball and pick my target.
Address the ball short and take one really smooth practice swing.
Step up, adjust for aim and stroke the ball.

Time for that? Maybe 20 seconds at most.

Find my target

Practice Swing

Address ball, feel comfortable, adjust, swing away

Started using a martin hall practice swing technique that has seemingly cured my slice. Only on tee, and don’t see it happening forever, but it’s helped.

general sight line
Slightly exaggerated over the top practice swing
Slightly exaggerated inside out practice swing
Middle/good path practice swing
Set up to ball
Shoulders
Breath
Swing

I stand behind the ball and pick my target.
Address the ball short and take one really smooth practice swing.
Step up, adjust for aim and stroke the ball.

Time for that? Maybe 20 seconds at most.
^ That's pretty much mine also. Eyeball the target, pick an intermediate target a few feet in front of the ball, one practice swing, step up to the ball and go.

My problems usually come when I spend too much time grinding over the ball and get a bunch of swing thoughts in my head.

Check my lie,
Stand behind the ball pick my target,
Grip the club, check grip alignment,
Eyes back on the target, couple of deep breaths,
Address the ball, bounce on my knees a couple of time to settle into stance and posture,
Continue deep breathing, find target,
Square the club face to target,
Half an exhale, hang mouth open,
Slow take away,
Swing.
For me the key is to relax, breathe, remain limber, and focus on the target.
it might seem like a lot to do (I could break it down further) but when I’m playing well it takes no thought and about 15 - 20 seconds.

Grip, Alignment, Swing. Very rarely will I take a practice swing - usually only when ball is in rough or to rehearse less than full shots.

I have determined through experience that I have about 20 good swings in me for any round. I can’t afford to waste any taking practice swings.

This is something I need to work on. Over the last year I've been a walk up to it and hit it guy. Outside of standing behind the ball to pick my target that was my only routine. I need to do something to get myself in to a groove before I take the shot.

Back