The Pre-Shot Routine - What's Yours? Do you work on it?

This is something I need to work on a lot. My pre-shot routine is inconsistent at best. Need to get in the habit of having a reliable and repeatable set up.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I always stretch out my arms over my head to release as much stress and get as loose as possible.

Well, nothing formal, but my routine is pretty consistent, albeit probably too basic.
Arrive at ball.
Estimate distance. (Usually wrong.)
Address ball.
Look for target.
Look at ball while thinking about target "picture".
Settle in to posture.
Swing.

This one is interesting to me. The last couple holes yesterday we played with a guy and he mentioned my routine after the round. It was one of those 'how so?' moments when you don't know what someone means because you have no idea what they're talking about. I don't have a routine. It's a little different every time. I don't think about doing all the same things or any of those things in the same order, or any of that really. Zero real focus on that. If anything, that's my routine. I still do a good portion of the total numbers of things I may do each time, but that's about it. He mentioned something about the time of it, and I'm really wondering now if whatever things I choose to do each time add up to near the same amount of time.

Do we perceive routines or things that may not actually be routines based on that?

Hmm,
Laser if off the tee already
Put down cigar
grab club
Hit ball
Swear
pick up cigar
go hit ball again
repeat as needed until the putt putt drill starts

1. Foot wedge ball to fluffy grass.
2. Set up over ball.
3. Spend several seconds thinking my grip feels weird.
4. Take backswing (swing thought 'what should I have for dinner tonight?').
5. Open my eyes and see how things went.

Rinse-repeat.

My pre-shot routine is generally the same each time.

Arrive at ball,
estimate distance,
stand up to the ball,
wiggle the club once,
look at my target again,
swing.

I go through it quickly as I usually like to play fairly quick. If I think too much I will thin the crap out of the ball.

On ride to ball (I always use a cart) survey terrain. This is why I prefer to ride than drive,
Stand behind ball and pick a landing spot and a spot about a foot in front of the ball.
Occasionally a practice swing
Set stance (left foot slightly pointed out - helps me pivot)
Set grip
Set club
Exhale
Easy backswing to a two count
At top of swing - mental thought - right shoulder down.
Doesn't always work out the way I want it too, but if it doesn't I can usually figure out what I did wrong

I used to not think about pre-shot routines until I read an article by Martin Chuck that helped me a lot. Really simple but effective. A couple of "waggles" followed by vertical "tap-tap-tap" then gently brush the turf never actually grounding your club. (Tour Striker Golf).

Back