The Pre Shot Routine

For what it's worth, that's why I asked when your 'routine' starts.

By the time I get to the ball I'm already pulling yardage and deciding what kind of shot to hit. I know a few guys who don't even think to grab a yardage until someone behind them has hit and it's their 'turn' to get going.

All that is involved in pre-shot to me, but I'm mostly speaking about once you grab the club out of the bag, how much time it takes. Do you spend a minute a la Jason Day clearing the mechanism? Do you grip it and rip it a la @JB? Do you pull out a yardage book and start mathing green locations?

There's an awful lot that COULD go into a pre shot routine... and I am pretty satisfied with no takers in the first 100 posts claiming they could genuinely speed up their process haha

My routine is typically ask buddy for yardage or get it off golf GPS. This usually happens as we are approaching the ball. Get to ball and grab club take 1 to 2 practice swings. Step up hit ball. Pretty quick .

For what it's worth, that's why I asked when your 'routine' starts.

By the time I get to the ball I'm already pulling yardage and deciding what kind of shot to hit. I know a few guys who don't even think to grab a yardage until someone behind them has hit and it's their 'turn' to get going.

All that is involved in pre-shot to me, but I'm mostly speaking about once you grab the club out of the bag, how much time it takes. Do you spend a minute a la Jason Day clearing the mechanism? Do you grip it and rip it a la @JB? Do you pull out a yardage book and start mathing green locations?

There's an awful lot that COULD go into a pre shot routine... and I am pretty satisfied with no takers in the first 100 posts claiming they could genuinely speed up their process haha

Haha I'm not good enough or consistent enough for any of that. Give me a number with 5 yards or so and I'm jumping out of the cart and hitting. My favorite golf is when I play 18 in under 2 hours and when by myself it's usually around 1:20-1:30 at the public course I used to belong to. Unfortunately too many people watch the guys on TV and think they have to emulate them.

I seem to always start my round completing my pre shot routine - both full shots and putts.
Seems that by the 6th hole I get out of a Rhythm and I never get back.
I think I am slowing down the group.
I need to remember that I need to stay in the zone

My "pre-shot routine" is the same for every shot. That doesn't mean it takes a long time. It doesn't need to. I get my distance, line, wind, slope, and I go! I think some folks believe that the more time they take over a shot, the more control they have over it! Nothing could be further from the truth. Once the ball leaves the clubhead, your control is over! Whatever you did in the swing prior to that governs the outcome! How you delivered the clubhead to the ball is all that matters!

Mind you, I think it's a good idea to have a solid pre-shot routine that doesn't take a ton of time. It gets you "ready" to strike the ball. I'd advise all golfers out there to look at their routines.

Back