The Pre Shot Routine

My entire routine from pulling the club out of the bag to sending the ball airborne takes about 11 seconds and other than the two seconds it takes to laser the distance, I don't waste any time before deciding on a club. If I have a beer or two in me it takes about 7-9 seconds which is when I play my best. ;) See ball, hit ball, go find ball. Like one of my regular playing partners says, A round under 3 hours puts a bigger smile on my face than a round under par.
The longer you take to pull the trigger the more opportunity for doubt to creep in. Your first instinct is usually the best, so waste no time.

It's my opinion that those who don't have a pre-shot routine actually slow down the game! That's because they are usually really bad golfers!

For probably the last year and a half I haven't had a pre shot routine at all. It's been wait for my turn to hit, address the ball and go. It's the same on the putting green. I'll read the putt while others are putting and get up and go.

This next season though I think I'm going to add one practice swing before I hit and when putting I'll stand behind the ball and take one or two practice strokes and then go.

I have zero desire to become "that guy" and drive people nuts with a routine. I have a buddy that is horrible with his putting routine and it drives me nuts.

I should have added two questions:

1- Do you know someone who has a slow pre shot routine?
2 - Is it you? :ROFLMAO:
1- Yes (a really good friend of mine is painfully long)
2- No (I’m a believer in what Ben Hogan said in that practice swings are wasted energy)

I’m decently quick (no practice swings) but I tend to laser most shots, so that adds a little time. I make sure I have my one thought before I pull the trigger when I’m standing over the ball but just the one thought that has been working. My post shot routine is a little longer than preshot.

When I get to the ball I get a yardage. I have already been thinking about wind, hill etc on the way up. Once I select a club I do the following:
  • Take a small half swing to be loose from behind the ball.
  • Stand behind the ball and pick the line with an intermediate target 3-10 yards in front of the ball.
  • Grip the club before I start to step in.
  • Step in beside the ball and aim the club to the intermediate target with my feet together.
  • Spread my feet apart aligned to the target. To do this I imagine a line through the ball, the intermediate target to the end target and set my foot line parallel to that line.
  • Go ahead and pull the trigger.
I don't look up at the end target I only look at the close intermediate target.

This ensures I am aimed properly and am confident I am aligned properly.

This looks like a bunch of steps but it happens very quickly. I don't do a full practice swing just a little flip to ensure I am loose and ready.

It really depends on how I'm playing. If I'm striking the ball well I'm choosing my club, standing behind to pick my line, addressing and getting lined up, and firing away. If I'm struggling I do all of the above but before addressing the ball I'll take a couple swings to try to find what feels like a good swing and then address and fire.

Pulling from another thread (hat tip to @JB)..

Do you have specific things you do to prepare to hit a golf ball?
Is your pre shot routine longer than it needs to be?
What is the reason for every specific thing you do before you hit a ball?
When does your pre shot routine actually start?

and finally, even though no one is slow, why is your pre shot routine as long as it is?
I pick a target, line up and hit the ball... Find it and hit it again.

I never been put on the clock at an event. And Pace of Play Aficionado, @JB, said that I play quick.

I think that playing good golf is like a hot craps table.
At a hot craps table you want the shooter to get the dice out as quickly as possible, and you don’t want the stick guy to get tardy getting the dice back to the shooter.
Playing with a slower player is like having a stick guy that is trying to throw a wet blanket on a heater.

Like Tenputt.......

1. Determine the effective yardage (“effective” meaning taking into account lie, wind, slope, temp and actual distance to my target).
2. Pick a club.
3. Make one practice swing, visualizing what I want the ball flight to be.
4. Step behind the ball and pick a spot in front of the ball for alignment.
5. Setup and try to clear my mind except for target.
6. Take my swing.

Play ready golf so usually no impact, less than 20 seconds.

Well mine sort of starts with a post shot routine from my previous swing as I am approaching my ball for my next shot. I'm looking for a suitable landing area. I'm making my next shot easier.

Once I get to my ball, I see what my lie is, see a certain distance, and decide on the club that suuts those conditions. After that, I don't do anything until it's my turn to swing.

When it's my turn to hit, that's when my real pre-shot routine begins. I pick out an intermediate target on my chosen aim line, and align my club face square to that intermediate target.

Without moving my club face, I then step into my stance, take my grip, one more quick look at my landing area, then just swing the club. Done deal. What ever happens....happens.

Probably takes all of 5 +/- seconds for that last part.

Now during that last quick look at my intended landing area , if something doesn't look, or feel right, I will step out of my stance, and start the last part over. I won't swing my club until I'm ready.

This routine is pretty much the same for all my short game (pitch-chips-putts) shots.

Is my pre-shot routine too long? I don't think so, but in reality I don't worry about my over all pace play. I'm slower than some, and faster than others. My game, my pace of play.

Last edited:
1- Yes (a really good friend of mine is painfully long)
2- No (I’m a believer in what Ben Hogan said in that practice swings are wasted energy)
I do like a lot of what Ben Hogan has said, but I disagree.
That said, a practice swing does not require the following;

1- lining up
2- waggling
3- full speed
4- more than one

My pre-shot routine consists of getting my yardage, grabbing a club then i address the ball and hit it. I constantly am getting smart a$$ comments on how fast I play

Last edited:
This is a fantastic thread topic. I feel like I play on the faster side and people with slow or inattentive habits can admittedly not be my favorite partners.

My pre-shot routine is:

-I usually play by eye more than laser, unless I'm pretty uncertain...
-Ready golf, if not literally as a group, then personally with respect to my playing partners. I try to be aware of where they are on course and in position to play without delay. This means lining up putts, getting course yardages, surveying landscape while traversing the course to the next shot and being ready to go.

Getting these things done ahead of time makes a huge difference and I think that is where a lot of folks can be more attentive.

Immediate pre-shot routine:
-Tee in the ground, two steps behind ball to the last second target pickup and "think box", one deep breath
-"Move to "Play Box", take one practice swing
-Address ball, final alignment and target acquisition, one simulated takeaway waggle, and hit in mostly continuous fashion.

I've got a buddy here locally who swings very hard, and takes two to three FULL practice swings before hitting the ball, especially off the tee.

It never doesn't stress me out haha - I just can't imagine doing that personally.

I have no idea if my routine is slow or fast. I know it's slower when I struggle just because I'm not trusting anything. But, I hope my amigos would let me know if I'm being slow. Maybe speeding up a little would help me when I'm struggling. 🤷‍♂️

My routine is simple. Once a club is chosen and a shot shape.

1. two practice swings to feel the shot.

2. one more look.

3. pick an intermediate target

4. Set up, couple waggles and jiggles to get ready and swing.

I try to keep my preshot routine short. Approach the ball and visualize a line i want to aim at, set up, a quick waggle, and pull the trigger. I am not very good, so am always paranoid about being seen as slow. Always try to be ready and as quick as possible.

I've got a buddy here locally who swings very hard, and takes two to three FULL practice swings before hitting the ball, especially off the tee.

It never doesn't stress me out haha - I just can't imagine doing that personally.

i have a buddy who does this as well but to top it off once his 2-3 full speed practice swings are done he will address the shot and stand there for 20-30 seconds and staring at the ball before hitting it. Drives me absolutely insane!

Do you have specific things you do to prepare to hit a golf ball?
No consciously

People feel pressured if you move too fast

That I'm thinking of other stuff and don't know I'm doing them

When does your pre shot routine actually start?
At the top

and finally, even though no one is slow, why is your pre shot routine as long as it is?
So the video has time to buffer ;)

My actual pre-shot routine is just to gauge the yardage, lie, and wind, pick a shot, and get lined up. There's no real routine to it, and it takes however long it takes. I do seem to lift my left toes before I putt though, every time. I have no control over it apparently, and don't actually feel myself do it.

Like Tenputt.......

1. Determine the effective yardage (“effective” meaning taking into account lie, wind, slope, temp and actual distance to my target).
2. Pick a club.
3. Make one practice swing, visualizing what I want the ball flight to be.
4. Step behind the ball and pick a spot in front of the ball for alignment.
5. Setup and try to clear my mind except for target.
6. Take my swing.

Play ready golf so usually no impact, less than 20 seconds.

Same.

This is a fantastic thread topic. I feel like I play on the faster side and people with slow or inattentive habits can admittedly not be my favorite partners.

My pre-shot routine is:

-I usually play by eye more than laser, unless I'm pretty uncertain...
-Ready golf, if not literally as a group, then personally with respect to my playing partners. I try to be aware of where they are on course and in position to play without delay. This means lining up putts, getting course yardages, surveying landscape while traversing the course to the next shot and being ready to go.

Getting these things done ahead of time makes a huge difference and I think that is where a lot of folks can be more attentive.

Immediate pre-shot routine:
-Tee in the ground, two steps behind ball to the last second target pickup and "think box", one deep breath
-"Move to "Play Box", take one practice swing
-Address ball, final alignment and target acquisition, one simulated takeaway waggle, and hit in mostly continuous fashion.

I didn't answer all the questions...

Not typically, but in a competitive setting with a foursome it all adds up, and it helps to be mindful.

Think box and play box strategy helps me arrive at the shot confident of strategy and intent, and ready to execute. Moving fast but methodically keeps tension at bay, and game focused on each shot at hand. Really going deep on the details:
-Setup routine and breathing seqence at start of shot cues my body for action
-practice swing is optional, and mostly a comfort blanket. This gets skipped 20-30% of the time.
-final alignment is a final check intended shot shape, and final visual confirmation of target that is the last thing that I think about before hitting. The target and only the target.
-Takeaway waggle happens fluidly as a swing cue, and pull the trigger.

Over time I think I've pared it down to a good balance of what is efficient and gives confidence and structure to my shotmaking. I can play 95% as well moving faster but will suffer a couple misfires along the way from ill sorted decisions/execution.

not even any of this?!

No but he definitely flexes the shaft using the ground and the driver head just before his takeaway.

Back