The "thats good" guy who has nothing to do with your game.

Oh I have with the gimme thing. And it's usually based in them really wanting to be able to rake those same putts of theirs.
I’ve never run into a situation where “that’s good if you want it” or “I’m going to putt this” didn’t solve all the world’s problems for a brief moment.

I’ve never run into a situation where “that’s good if you want it” or “I’m going to putt this” didn’t solve all the world’s problems for a brief moment.
Right? I've met a few that can only rationalize taking them if you are too though. It's really weird. Because I really don't care.

Amongst my usual group, it's very common for us to say "that's good" when somebody gets it within the circle of love - no offense intended and none taken. But if you leave yourself a 2 foot downhill slider, all of a sudden it's pretty quiet on the green. That's when you look around and say "Millions of dollars they've spent trying to cure cancer, but nobody's found a cure for lockjaw yet!" :LOL:

If I play with a different group that doesn't give/take gimmes, I'll roll with it. You wanna putt out those 4-6 inch tap-ins all day, knock yourself out. I'll go along with the game.

Pace of play on the greens has very little to do with finishing out vs. marking. We played as a walking threesome today and things were slower in 91 degree with high humidity and finished in 3:15. It would have been 3 hours flat but we were waiting on most of the back nine. We pull the flag and don't finish out putts unless they are inside of 2 feet.
Im well aware you and your circle play (what i would consider) pretty fast even with the pin pulling and not finishing.
I get that you are not a pace issue at all. Your group move quick so anything is not a problem. Which just goes to show its all about how we move about and really nothing more.

That said the play out on pubic curses and among the masses on public courses are often an issue. And compared to you guys is a big issue. So with that we come up with many things that people/groups do and or can do to help their pace. And many the things that can help are the same things that others (like your group) do while not being a problem.

I can tell you for certain playing on my county courses where its alwatys full that there is a noticeable difference in the time spent waiting on approaches when the group ahead on the green pulls pins and also dont finish out vs groups that do finish out and dont pull. . . Its not always the case but it does play out smoother and less overall time on the green. And when Im with 4somes that leave the pin and also finish out everything the group Im in moves quicker than the ones im with in which they pull pins and dont finish out.

Those things do make a difference. regardless whether or not you or other groups do them and play rather quick. They are both still things which allow for the entire greens process to move along quicker (or not).
And when people are slow that stuff makes them even more slow. They do make a difference. None of which means you cant do them and still move very well.

If they say “that’s good” on the first hole or two, I politely reply “I don’t do gimmes but thank you.” If it continues I say it a second time. That usually does it. What really bugs me is when they roll it back to me or whatever and say “That’s good”. I not so politely tell them to not touch my ball pls”.

I just say "I like to putt them for practice." That usually takes care of it.

i play a lot with strangers when i get out during the week. I've had the same experience. When I'm paired up, I take it as they are extending the same 'gimme' courtesy that they do to the rest of their group.

If I really want to putt out that day, I just tell them 'I'm going to putt everything out. I have a league event coming up and missed too many short ones last time' Every single time I've said that, it was no big deal.

As a single I try to go with the flow of the group I'm with and assume positive intent.

that's my motto, gotta keep it friendly and offer the feel bmfree to finish but it's good by me if you want it

I've met some 'that's good' people and it's never been a problem. But usually where I play it's just a tap in at that point.

I've also met people who make me putt out short putts (you know who you are!) that I've missed and it still haunts me to this day.

But your playing casual golf for yourself vs no one but the course and for your own game and evaluation. I dint have the right to tell you or offer you whats good. Thats up to you. As said ...if im at the hole I will ask you if its good or if you would like the ball back but thats where it ends. I mean the person isnt giving you anything cause your not matching vs him. Imo only you should decide what you feel you want to concede yourself. No?
Dude, who cares? Maybe they’re trying to keep pace of play up. Maybe the person is being nice.

Does it really matter at the end of the day? Does this always have to turn into a giant rant?

Just had that on a round last Saturday. If it's less than 2 feet, fine, give me my ball, just to pick up pace of play. But, on one hole I had a 3 footer, and one guy in my group said "you going to putt that"? I said "Yup, been missing quite a few of these"! They didn't bother my ball pretty much the rest of the round, except for a few putts that stalled right by the cup. "Take it" they would say. Not too big an issue, but let me choose, so ask me first. I always add the stroke for the ones I did not putt out. I did miss my share of 3 feet or less that day, including one hole that was a 3 putt from that distance, as the hole was in line with a big break to the right. Just could not hit the hole! But that's golf...

I just say "I like to putt them for practice." That usually takes care of it.

Yeah my other one is “I like to hear the ball hit the bottom of the cup”. Which is true BTW.🤣

I generally just say something like “you want it?” And if they say yes will hit it back to them. If I’m not playing for money or an event I generally don’t really care what people do. It does annoy me a bit when people mark 1 foot putts or insist on putting everything out when they are a slow player anyway.

Dude, who cares? Maybe they’re trying to keep pace of play up. Maybe the person is being nice.

Does it really matter at the end of the day? Does this always have to turn into a giant rant?
Yes it does if thats what i wanted it to be. I explained clearly the situation I am describing is not a pace thing nor some gesture many of us would make by asking. The scenrio I describe becomes a dictating (or attempt to dictate) thing. those that have experienced it know what Im talking about. You obviously havnt experienced it in the manor in which I have talked about.

Did you have come into the thread just to rant about what Im ranting about (in my own thread)? Does it really matter to you at the end of your day if myself and others discuss this? Do you have to rant about it?

Last edited:
On today's episode of "What Minor Inconvenience is Bugging rollin"... Gimmes.

Yes it does if thats what i wanted it to be. I explained clearly the situation I am describing is not a pace thing nor some gesture many of us would make by asking. The scenrio I describe becomes a dictating (or attempt to dictate) thing. those that have experienced it know what Im talking about. You obviously havnt experienced it in the manor in which I have talked about.

Did you have come into the thread just to rant about what Im ranting about (in my own thread)? Does it really matter to you at the end of your day if myself and others discuss this? Do you have to rant about it?

Do you? Anything else you want to rant about? What’s tomorrow's rant going to be about? Kids on your lawn? Taxes too damn high?

I’m in a charity group this year where every three putt costs me a dollar, so I putt everything out.

I tell people that on the first tee so they get it.

I still get people who say “That’s good” or knock my ball over to me out of habit… I just remind them and putt out anyway.

There are times that I have gotten the impression that folks are impatient and don’t want to wait for me to putt out. I just tell them to move on if they want and I’ll see them on the next tee.

It’s not a race.

Do you? Anything else you want to rant about? What’s tomorrow's rant going to be about? Kids on your lawn? Taxes too damn high?
I will rant about whatever it is i want to make a rant subject about. No one is forcing you to partake.. Maybe i will rant about you ranting about me. You've been unnecessarily personal. And besides are you the rant police?

as someone who works hard to keep a legit cap...no sand bagging, no vanity numbers, just whatever the reality is...I always want to putt out unless it is one of those 3" putts and I am saving my back as bending down to put tee in the ground can be problem by end of the round...

Often when matched with randoms they will ship it back to me as they often have seen my putting first couple holes and assume I will make it. I will mention "I like putting out as I am keeping a handicap. Sometimes that ends the "unwanted gimme" and sometimes it doesn't. What it does end is my worry about it. If they ship me back a 4' slider I wasn't sure of...I say "thank you", take the 'most likely score" and move on with life. It doesn't meet m preference but it also doesn't end life as we know it so...yeah, not my preference but I can live with it and 100% will for group dynamics purposes.

So back when I was golfing with my Dad, who was a stickler for rules, the ball could be 1/64" from the hole and you would never get a gimme from him. He would tell guys we golfed with when they said something like "is that good?", Dad would always say, "it's not bad!". In Dad speak that means, no it isn't, putt it in the hole.

For those who take gimme's, whether they are 3 inches or 3 feet, do you post your score as if the putts are made?

I'm a "that's good" guy with strangers. I get tired of people lining up their double/triple bogey putt like it's to win the masters. Let's get this round movin.
My friend does this, I walk off the green and proceed to the next hole, maybe one day he will get the hint.

I'm a "that's good" guy with strangers. I get tired of people lining up their double/triple bogey putt like it's to win the masters. Let's get this round movin.
I agree when that's the case and they are a pace concern.

I never tell a stranger "that's good." I will ask if they want to putt it out of it they want the ball back.

I also don't tell strangers to take a mulligan.
I only do it when I get grouped with people I don't know if they have money on the line. Giving a putt to someone who has a bet with someone else always starts a fun conversation.

Back