The Tuna Controversy

One is Jersey Mike's and the other is called Erbert and Gerbert's. It is a local chain that had a few locations in the city I went to college. They make a very interesting sandwich that I love! The Quatro! It has cranberry wasabi sauce on it and gives it a nice kick! They also have great soups everyday.

Erb & Gerb's is the best sandwich place! Of course being in Eau Claire I feel I'd have to say that even if I didn't believe it. I'm more of a Girf fan.

To be somewhat on topic with the thread the Bornk (tuna salad) at Erb & Gerb's is pretty good and I'd take that over Subway's tuna anytime.

Do people really order tuna from those kind of places? That's my equivalent to having gas station sushi.

I don't know why anyone would order a sandwich from Subway in the first place! If they looked like the sandwiches in their ads, they might be worth it, but they don't! You can read newsprint through their, I was going to say tomato slices, but it's their everything slices!

I read an article last night where one lab had said they couldn't detect any tuna DNA in the Subway samples submitted to them. But they added the proviso that once tuna is cooked and chopped up, it denatures the DNA and makes it difficult to detect it. Another lab had tested it and said it was 100% tuna. Now the people who filed the initial lawsuit against Subway have backtracked and are complaining that Subway can't prove it's 100% sustainable line-caught tuna.

With that said, Jimmy John's has no room to be throwing stones, their sandwiches are the worst IMO. I'll eat a sandwich from the refrigerator of a gas station quickie mart before I'll eat Jimmy John's.

Which means someone is lying, or is not a very good lab! And if Subway's tuna subs were 100% sustainable "line-caught" tuna, they would be a lot more expensive! Wild, line-caught fish cost!

Just like I don't ask what's in a McNugget. If it's yummy, I'll eat it.

Ugh! My Mom told me this story when I was a kid. McDonalds had just introduced the Chicken McNugget! She , and her girlfriend, decided to go out shopping for a day. Now, my Mom could spend the entire day shopping and not buy a doggone thing! She simply took note of styles, prices, and selection.

They felt like lunch and her girlfriend suggest they stop at McDonalds since they had those new Chicken McNuggets! My Mom replied, "You know, I've cut up a lot of chickens in my time, and I have no idea where the "McNugget" is!"

You are eating formed, pressed counter scrapings!

Tuna salad is what you make to put on tuna sandwiches. It's kind of a weird misnomer since it's not actually a salad, but there we are.

Exactly! A lot like chicken salad or egg salad! You don't really serve them on their own!

It’s Saturday and that means Tuna is on the menu. Bumble Bee is our family’s choice.

C6F95006-2099-4B0E-92A8-7391D4655091.jpeg

Sweet Baby is good, but we love the Stubs Sweet and Hot BBQ sauce

I love a good tuna melt but I wont buy it from Subway or other chain sandwich shops.. I feel like I might as well say " I would like to order the large food poisoning with a bag of BBQ chips".

I read an article last night where one lab had said they couldn't detect any tuna DNA in the Subway samples submitted to them. But they added the proviso that once tuna is cooked and chopped up, it denatures the DNA and makes it difficult to detect it. Another lab had tested it and said it was 100% tuna. Now the people who filed the initial lawsuit against Subway have backtracked and are complaining that Subway can't prove it's 100% sustainable line-caught tuna.

With that said, Jimmy John's has no room to be throwing stones, their sandwiches are the worst IMO. I'll eat a sandwich from the refrigerator of a gas station quickie mart before I'll eat Jimmy John's.

Read the same article this week. After all of that processing of the lower grade tuna, they can't identify it as tuna. Maybe Chicken Salad is safer?

I typically do not do tuna unless it is sushi grade. I've had enough "I think I'm going to die" food poisoning nights where multiple explosions emanated from nether regions. The last one was salmon sushi ...

In honor this thread

2575ADB1-E441-44D6-9FEF-8570BC190400.jpeg

Last edited:
Firehouse does make a good sandwich

Haha, it’s nothing to write home about but it’s one of their better subs because I normally find their stuff pretty boring.
I agree with you. There was a time that I was really into their Kickin' Ranch, but then it was like 50/50 when it would be included in my order. I do like their hot peppers though.

A couple things:

If you get tuna from Subway, I don't think you're allowed to be shocked if it turns out its not really tuna.
Jersey Mike's is trash.
Chicken McNuggets are Tyson white meat, plus a little skin added for flavor.

You're not taking this away from me! I've been trying to convince someone braver than I to buy a fast food tuna for a couple of weeks now! Lol

Bland... Very bland. I'll be honest I was expecting "more". I was not disappointed I simply was not impressed.

@GolferGal --I am not a tuna lover by any stretch. But what exactly is "FAKE TUNA"?

Bland... Very bland. I'll be honest I was expecting "more". I was not disappointed I simply was not impressed.

I tried to warn you. Their stuff is just boring, doesn’t really have any flavor. Firehouse had a really good tuna sub and Jersey Mike’s is pretty solid too.

@GolferGal --I am not a tuna lover by any stretch. But what exactly is "FAKE TUNA"?

I don’t know, I didn’t write the article, just posted about it. :cool:

Its a sandwich that Subway claims is made with tuna, but some customers find that claim extra fishy, and are now trying to get some bread.

Its a sandwich that Subway claims is made with tuna, but some customers find that claim extra fishy, and are now trying to get some bread.

Back