The Wheel of Time

MarMill

Be Positive!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Grint 8.10
Has anyone read this series. I am about to start. I haven't watched any of the show yet. So I don't know much about it, other than it is a looooong series. Should I read it?

Bought the first book during a vacation a few years ago. Never made it very far as it was super super slow to start.

I have read the entire thing. It’s amazing and will take you at least 3 years but it’s worth it. I just felt like I was going to read something so might as well read that and it did not let me down. Plods along very slowly in the back middle of the series, but the end that Brandon Sanderson wrote moves very fast and has a ton of action. I always say it would have taken Robert Jordan 8 or 9 books to write what Sanderson wrote in 3.

It is fantastic. I read it years ago as they were still being published. Still one of my favorite series. It gets kind of slow from book 7-10 or so but from 12-end it’s non stop. If you plan to watch the series I would say do that first. People who read the books have been very disappointed in the series, myself included.

I watched the first season and was confused for pretty much the entire time. Saw the 2nd season was out and watched maybe half of the first episode and was even more confused. Paused it and have yet to go back... don't think I will. It wasn't bad, but just a ton of characters and lore that frankly I didn't care about.

I have read the entire thing. It’s amazing and will take you at least 3 years but it’s worth it. I just felt like I was going to read something so might as well read that and it did not let me down. Plods along very slowly in the back middle of the series, but the end that Brandon Sanderson wrote moves very fast and has a ton of action. I always say it would have taken Robert Jordan 8 or 9 books to write what Sanderson wrote in 3.
3 years!!!!

3 years!!!!
It didn't take me that long but it's like 11-13? books at about 1000 pages each. Like @DataDude said there is a slog in there where nothing seems to happen but the ending is fast and full of action. I also thought it was a great series and I've also listened to the audio books since I drive a ton. It does take a bit to get into and its a massive world but I thought it was worth the time.

Who wants to send the box set over? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Couldn't get into the TV show. There seemed to be a lot of complaints that it was barely related to the books.

3 years!!!!
Depends on how often you read also. I read for 30-60 minutes before bed most nights. Also some of it was a slog so those times I didn’t read as often. I also read 2 books in that series then a different book before going back.

maybe the most classic Fantasy genre book there is. I read a couple a long time ago. Not really my thing and the series was not well done.

maybe the most classic Fantasy genre book there is. I read a couple a long time ago. Not really my thing and the series was not well done.
Well, I bought the first book. We will see how it turns out. I have enjoyed books like this. I like the King killer chronicles (needs to finish), Enders game series, Red rising series, Ready Player One. So, hopefully this is kinda like those.

I’m currently on book 4, I love it.

I do not read but this is the only wheel I watch...

new york city GIF by Wheel of Fortune

Well, I bought the first book. We will see how it turns out. I have enjoyed books like this. I like the King killer chronicles (needs to finish), Enders game series, Red rising series, Ready Player One. So, hopefully this is kinda like those.
Enders game is one of my favs.. Orson gets a little strange after that but I still enjoyed the whole series.

Anyone interested in these types of books should check out Brent Weeks, or Joe Abercrombie. Kind of a darker version of the Wheel of Time, which I also enjoyed very much. If you like Dark Fantasy, my OG was Glenn Cook's Black Company. Well at least for the first dozen or so.

Yes, I read the entire series. I watched a couple episodes but it's a very pale imitation of the books, and no where near does justice to the series.

I have read the series and liked it a lot. Pretty slow in some parts but I don't recall a bad book. I haven't watched the series.

The series is a pile of turd. But the books are one of my all time favourites, even though it gets sloggy in the middle as pointed out already.

I kind of like the way magic is built in the world, that it's not a d&d style simplicity. When you finish the series in 1-3 years, come back for recommendations 😂

This thread is making me want to reread the series. Wonder if I can finish it before book 5 of Stormlight Archives comes out in December

I started reading it in college, and would wait anxiously over the years as each new book dropped. Jordan died before finishing, and the guy who finished the series stretched his part into 3 final books.

Definitely worth reading, and I envy you the opportunity to binge read the whole thing instead of waiting a year or more between books for so long!

I started reading it in college, and would wait anxiously over the years as each new book dropped. Jordan died before finishing, and the guy who finished the series stretched his part into 3 final books.

Definitely worth reading, and I envy you the opportunity to binge read the whole thing instead of waiting a year or more between books for so long!
There for a while it was taking 2-3 years between books. Jordan passed from something long term and knew it was coming so he left hundreds of pages of detailed notes and outlines and even wrote certain chapters with big events, including the final battle. He and his wife interviewed authors and picked Sanderson to finish the saga then spent months with him answering questions and telling Sanderson how he wanted things to happen.

Been audiobooking the first book. It is pretty good so far.

I only have enough time to read THP but we've watched the show. Because nothing can exist with women who do magic without my house watching it. It's a thing. Honestly though I think I like that one better than my witchy wife. It's not bad, but there's a wide divide in some of the acting on it and it's obviously not the fastest paced.

Tried to watch the show, wasn't my deal....

Back