The Wilson Golf Fat Shaft

I seem to remember having a set of Wilson Deep Red irons with fat shafts in them, they were second hand and suited me just fine from memory. Other than a giggle at the name, I remember very little about them :LOL:

The concept was sound, I hit my Metal Matrix as far as any club I’ve ever had since. The problem was tour pros wouldn’t play them so fool golfers wouldn’t buy them and the shafts couldn’t be swapped for absurdly expensive custom shafts.

I see you in here @vgolfman ! Any thoughts on these oldies? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I played these years ago as well until some one stole them from the trunk of my car. I hope he hit them better than I did!

I think Fat Shaft put them in an awkward position. Keep doing it while everyone else was conventional outside of square headed drivers.
They had a much better Tour presence but I’m sure none of them wanted to play them.
You go back to regular shafts and you look like you didn’t believe in your own story.
Probably was their undoing for awhile.

I remembered them but never hit them.

Look at those cavities on those irons. Info recall them but never played them.

I never got around to bagging the fat shaft irons (I really wanted a set though) but I did have the driver and fairway woods for a few years. They were alright at the time but thankfully technology has moved on.

they talk about these on Stacked Golf... never seen or played them.

She thicc :LOL:

never heard of these but definitely see the lack of appeal

The mandrella version was actually a pretty good looking iron. If you could get past the fat shafts..
I hit a set of those for about a year, they were long and looked great but I couldn't deal with the 9 and wedge. Couldn't hit anything real close. Dumped them for a set of Callaway X-12s and then a set of X-14 pro series that stayed in my bag for almost 15 years.

This was around the time , I picked up the game. Always wanted to try them out but never got around to it sadly.

I have a Fat Shaft 3 wood that looks brand new still. I actually hit it pretty well but I don't carry a 3 wood in my bag.

These my not be the worst looking clubs ever, but they certainly fall into the weird cats gory.

back in 1997/1996ish Wilson Golf came out with the : Wilson Staff "FS" (short for Fat Shaft) I have no idea if there's a tech story to talk about. I would hope there is. 🤣🤣🤣

I do remember walking in the store and seeing these in person and thinking....."wow, those are some Faaaaaat Shafffffts." I picked one up and said -"nope" 🤣🤣.hilariously, I think they did a couple different iterations of it. So, it must have sold at least a little....?

anyone else remember these??

View attachment 9154569View attachment 9154570View attachment 9154571View attachment 9154572
Our pro at the course I worked at was a Wilson Guy. I took one of the sets from the shop out for a round or 2. Very stiff.

Picked these up from Whatnot for around $3 each. Can anyone give me an approximate age on them?

Attachments

• Wilson RM Fat Shaft 1.jpeg
    Wilson RM Fat Shaft 1.jpeg
    134.3 KB · Views: 7
  • Wilson RM Fat Shaft 2.jpeg
    Wilson RM Fat Shaft 2.jpeg
    104.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Wilson RM Fat Shaft 3.jpeg
    Wilson RM Fat Shaft 3.jpeg
    224.4 KB · Views: 7
Hard to tell by the images, but I am going to guess around 20 years old. If they are what I think they are, I believe the year was around 2000.

Yeah, that's kinda what I was thinking. I talked to a couple people at Wilson and their records don't have these models anymore apparently. Can't believe the shape they're in for being 20 years old. Thanks for responding.

Wilson's attempt at catching up with the Burner Bubble Shaft.

Back