#TheKing w/ Callaway Golf - Final Rosters

Kind of 2nd guessing not going with my original pick of the X2Hot Pro, but I'm sure the Alpha will get the job done :)

Based on your handicap, I'm guessing your ballstriking will be able to rock the Alpha! Especially considering you successfully game the SLDR, which I couldn't game if I tried.

...Well I could, but it would not in any way be pretty! :beat-up:

I'm curious if any of the Grand Daddy participants tried the Big Bertha 13.5 degree driver at the range? I can't imagine having a driver that you could up the loft to 15.5 degrees but it could be interesting to say the least.

I'm curious if any of the Grand Daddy participants tried the Big Bertha 13.5 degree driver at the range? I can't imagine having a driver that you could up the loft to 15.5 degrees but it could be interesting to say the least.

They didn't have one there. I think the highest they had was the 10.5°

They didn't have one there. I think the highest they had was the 10.5°

So the 10.5 can be bumped up to 12.5 if more loft is required but it closes the face in the process right? Now if a person was to go with the 13.5, they could dial it down to 12.5 and keep the clubface square?

So the 10.5 can be bumped up to 12.5 if more loft is required but it closes the face in the process right? Now if a person was to go with the 13.5, they could dial it down to 12.5 and keep the clubface square?

Correct. When you increase loft the club face closes. When you decrease loft it opens the face up.

I think a lot of guys were seeing some good numbers with the 10.5. You are thinking of going with the 13.5? Do you want it at 12.5 but don't want to have to close the face to get there?

Correct. When you increase loft the club face closes. When you decrease loft it opens the face up.

I think a lot of guys were seeing some good numbers with the 10.5. You are thinking of going with the 13.5? Do you want it at 12.5 but don't want to have to close the face to get there?

Yea I was considering making the change from my original choice of 10.5 to the 13.5 for more spin and if I needed to bump it down to 12.5, the face would remain square which would be a good option for me.

Yea I was considering making the change from my original choice of 10.5 to the 13.5 for more spin and if I needed to bump it down to 12.5, the face would remain square which would be a good option for me.

That's good thinking there. I think at 13.5 or 12.5 you won't see a huge increase in spin. And if you are already a lower spin player, you should be golden!

That's good thinking there. I think at 13.5 or 12.5 you won't see a huge increase in spin. And if you are already a lower spin player, you should be golden!

You Dream Teamer guys have been a huge help for us newbies trying to get our thoughts together on these Cally drivers. Thanks again for all your help! :clapp:

You Dream Teamer guys have been a huge help for us newbies trying to get our thoughts together on these Cally drivers. Thanks again for all your help! :clapp:

Seconded! I like to think I understand my launch numbers, but having you guys to back me up was immensely helpful in finally pulling the trigger.

Always happy to help! Any other questions feel free to send them my way. Or any of us for that matter.

Its been really intriguing seeing the thought process going into these driver selections. Really appreciate that it wasn't just "I want the Alpha because it is the newest/best."

Its been really fun following all of your excitement as well!

Its been really intriguing seeing the thought process going into these driver selections. Really appreciate that it wasn't just "I want the Alpha because it is the newest/best."

Its been really fun following all of your excitement as well!

The Alpha is quite a club. When I hit it on the screws, it flat out flew. I think everyone who is participating knows what they're capable of. I know I can't make a perfect strike every swing, and it's pretty clear that other clubs in this lineup are better suited for that.

That's a heck of a technical thought there Bill! Nice thinking.

I'm headed to Dick's in a little bit to do some testing! Don't know how much I'll get to hit. Have my gamer, X2Hot, and SLDR planned. Anything else anyone thinks might be a good route to go to try? Haven't hit a ball in 3 months, hopefully that doesn't skew my results!

Well I'm all submitted and now just hoping I made the right choice like the rest of you. Question for both teams:

Are you guys going to go out and hit whatever club you ordered in a different setup than you've ordered? I mean, I am going to book a fitting with GolfTec prior to #TheKing to make sure I know what settings are ideal for me with the BB, 10.5, X-Stiff but I don't think I am even going to let myself try the Alpha or try a different flex shaft. I don't think I want to even give the seeds of doubt a chance.

What about you guys?

Well I'm all submitted and now just hoping I made the right choice like the rest of you. Question for both teams:

Are you guys going to go out and hit whatever club you ordered in a different setup than you've ordered? I mean, I am going to book a fitting with GolfTec prior to #TheKing to make sure I know what settings are ideal for me with the BB, 10.5, X-Stiff but I don't think I am even going to let myself try the Alpha or try a different flex shaft. I don't think I want to even give the seeds of doubt a chance.

What about you guys?

No, i won't either. At this point my choice is locked, and I wouldn't be getting another driver regardless. Worst case scenario, if the stiff shaft option isn't perfect for me at #theking (which I can't imagine it won't be), then I can always test different shafts when I get back. I know the head is top notch and ultimately can work for anybody with the right shaft, if the stock isn't the perfect match for them.

I am going to test the 3W and if I get better result out of it than my current FW, think I may pick it up in Feb. I had earmarked some fantasy football winnings for both anyway, so now i just used my winnings for the trip instead, and still have some left over for a FW. My biggest dilemma is do i go 3W or 5W. Either way I'm probably going to play it at a 4W.

What about you guys?

I was bouncing back and forth between the 13.5 and the 10.5 and after talking with a few people and listening to my wife, I'm staying with the 10.5 BB with regular flex. She knows my swing really well and I tend to listen to her because she's right quite often :act-up:.

I personally will not be trying any other combo because my simple mind will blow a fuse :bulgy-eyes:

I was bouncing back and forth between the 13.5 and the 10.5 and after talking with a few people and listening to my wife, I'm staying with the 10.5 BB with regular flex. She knows my swing really well and I tend to listen to her because she's right quite often :act-up:.

I personally will not be trying any other combo because my simple mind will blow a fuse :bulgy-eyes:

i like that move Bill.... And you should listen to KB! Iron skillets hurt the back of the noggin!

Once my home club gets the BB demo in I'm going to take it out for a round here and there to get a feel for which settings I might need to make with the club's adjustability. Like you I'll stay away from trying other lofts or clubs. Don't want to second guess myself.

What about you guys?

I think I'll go a similar route and get either a basic fitting with the Bertha in stiff 10.5 once Pro Golf gets them in, or loop it in with my next lesson, whenever that is (the pro teaches at Pro Golf on the simulators), to figure out my optimum loft/lie/slider weight settings. I won't refrain from hitting other non Callaway drivers, because I'm highly intrigued in the results I've seen lately from the TEE XCG6 and the Adams Super S, but I definitely won't fool about with the other Callaway drivers or other shafts in the Bertha. Like you said, no sense in losing confidence in the choice I've made.

Also, FWIW I think you made a good choice Curt. You definitely have a forceful enough swing for an X, and I think the BB is a good head for you. You do hit it out on the toe quite a bit it seems compared to your high/low misses, so I think the BBA may not have been the best choice.

I'll be spending as much time as they let me hitting my choice of BB in the Sim at Golfsmith just to get acquainted with her. Hopefully they have the 13.5 head!

typo's courtesy of Samsung Galaxy S4 autocorrect... Enjoy!

I work with a Callaway demo day rep, we have already talked about these drivers and he is on the lookout for one that he can leave with me for a few days. That would be ideal but at the very least I'll goto EW or Dicks and hit a demo on the sim.

Honestly as long as we all work on solid contact with our current drivers until then it really shouldn't be too hard to get the new ones playable. It may take some range time between rounds to get them optimal but like JB said everyone will be adapting to a new driver on Saturday

Another question for you guys:

With our driver selection in the books, how many of you have your bag setup complete and set for the year? How confident are you with the clubs you'll be rocking when Harry sticks it to Chad? What changes do you see coming prior to #TheKing if you aren't currently satisfied?

As far as I'm concerned my bag is ready to rock. My wedges and putter are going nowhere anytime soon and I'm really starting to get in a nice groove with my irons. The question marks for me are at the top of the bag where my Bio Cell's are all new to me and I haven't had a ton (read: any) on course experience with them yet, but I like what I've seen so far! All in all, the bag in my sig is what I'll be rolling into Orlando with and with the addition of Big Bertha, it's going to be awesome!
I'd love to have some Apex/Apex Pros in the bag but it's just not feasible for me right now.

The only thing I could see changing is my golf ball. Not sure if it will be the B330, Chrome + or SR3. My Hopkins wedge may lose its place to my old Vokey 50 degree but nothing else will change pending a disaster.

Well I just got back from Dick's, and it was kind of a let down. I was only able to get on the simulator, which only really had launch angle, ball speed, and carry distance. And I really don't trust the numbers, there were some really wacky numbers that didn't make sense. Even if I would've been allowed on the launch monitor, the two guys there didn't know how to use it.

So anyways, I hit my Superfast 2.0, X2Hot, and the SLDR. All in stiff, mine is a 9.5, the other two were at 10.5. I was getting some wacky numbers like I said, most distances were around 200-210 yards, which is my 4i-5i length... The launch angle was all over too, but mostly around 10°-12°. And ball speed was mostly around 145 mph, except the SLDR was up around 153 mph. Again, not sure I trust any of those. To be honest, I wasn't really impressed with the feel of the X2Hot. Something just felt off to me. The SLDR actually felt the best to me, and gave me the highest ball speed and best dispersion on the screen (if I can trust either of those, I don't know).

So I don't know if I really learned much besides I didn't really like the feel of the X2Hot. The SLDR did feel good, but I still don't know if I could game a club like this and the Alpha or not. Here's a pic of the impact tape from the SLDR after I was done. I probably hit 8 balls. Don't know much about how far off center is considered bad, but I don't think this is anything great. Granted, this is the first time I took full swings and hit balls in 3 months, there was definitely some rust I could feel. But I'll still take it as it was. So what do you think. Seeing this dispersion on the club face, probably should go with something more forgiving in the standard Big Bertha?

Answers to your questions Army. I definitely won't be trying the driver I pick in a different setup. Will either try to adjust what I pick through a demo or getting fit. Getting fit is prolly the smart choice. But I don't think I'll be able to prevent myself from trying the other Bertha option on a demo. I want to hit them both! :D

My bag is most likely set. Bought my irons and wedges last year, and also my "new" putter. Only thing I would potentially change is swapping a hybrid for my 4i. I've never had a hybrid, but I really want to see if one would work well for me.

Back