Things about equipment I learned the past couple seasons

1860VS

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
My Brain
After 45 years of golf, I am still learning.........

When people peek into your bag and see game improvement irons, they get blindsided real quickly when you start shaping the ball around corners and into tucked pins. I never played GI irons before, the way you can sneak up on opponents and get into their heads in just a couple holes, simply by making the appropriate shot is astounding.

I never had a Titleist driver before. I don't even want to know what I have missed. This TSI2 may not be the longest, it may not be the easiest to shape shots with, but if you want straight down the pipe, drive after drive, Titleist has nailed it. NO, I will not be trying a TSR2 unless they give me one to try. LOL

As much as I thought and heard I had a great short game, CBX wedges made it just that much better. The soles are very, very well designed and versatile. There is nothing I could do with a Vokey or RTX I can't do with a CBX. It's just easier and more consistent with the CBX, very predictable spin and carry. The only thing I would change is raise the VCOG a little bit.

I've often thought about going back to a more game improvement iron instead of a players iron. I have no shame, as long as I can stomach the look of the top-line, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Don't blame you one bit!

I've often thought about going back to a more game improvement iron instead of a players iron. I have no shame, as long as I can stomach the look of the top-line, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Don't blame you one bit!
It is simply amazing when I have a bad ball striking day, and the worse thing that happens is I come up 5 yards short and possibly a little off line.

Don't blame you one bit!
A lot of the current GI and Players Distance irons do a great job of hiding/blending a thicker top line and offset.

Where are you with hybrids/fairways? I just got my first Titleist FW (albeit older) and wondered why the hell it took so long.

Where are you with hybrids/fairways? I just got my first Titleist FW (albeit older) and wondered why the hell it took so long.
I can hit the T300 4 iron, its a great club for me and bag it any time it gets breezy. I wish they made a T300 3 iron. I can't hit hybrids, for some reason all I can do is hook them.. I play my "cheap" unadjustable TM M6 fairways. They just fit my game and swing. I hit them very high and they stop like a mid iron. No fear running through the green with them.
I may hit some other fairways at Carls over the winter, but they would have to be really good to displace the M6's

CBX wedges made it just that much better
Just "CBX" or "CBX Zipcore", as I'm in the market for probably a 54° and a 60°?

Something else that comes to me....... people are overly concerned with distance. If you can hit the ball at all, there is an appropriate tee for you. If you can't hit it where you want it to go and stop where you want it to stop, there is nothing appropriate for you other than practice and perhaps an equipment change. Golf is a target game, it's a matter of where you end up, not how you got there.

Something else that comes to me....... people are overly concerned with distance. If you can hit the ball at all, there is an appropriate tee for you. If you can't hit it where you want it to go and stop where you want it to stop, there is nothing appropriate for you other than practice and perhaps an equipment change. Golf is a target game, it's a matter of where you end up, not how you got there.

Agree, but good luck selling that in 2022.

Good stuff, someone always chimes in saying you can't buy a better game, I think you can. There's advancements in drivers, big headed 3 woods, hy-woods, hybrids and hybrid irons, max or draw versions of clubs, single length, great wedges (one day, I'll learn what all the grinds means). It's a good time to get into golf right now and the same for those already in it.

Clubs are always advancing, but I think it’s more like 5 year spurts, not year over year. At least that’s how I convince myself not to buy new stuff. 🤣

Exactly! So then, clubmakers are obsessed with making clubs lighter, so you can swing faster! At what cost? Most of us don't even know where the ball is going if we swing for the fences.. I prefer a slightly heavier driver, so I feel the club in my swing. I only swing at 80 mph, distance is a good thing, but I really want to hit my target, so as to set up for my next shot. Doesn't happen all the time, but the confidence is there that I can achieve my target. Working on the "swing" is an ongoing work in progress. Direction, and not distance, is my goal when I practice. Consistency off the tee, and on approach shots is what I am striving for...

I agree with you when it comes to irons. As long as you've got a club that goes the required distance with good accuracy, who cares what the number stamped on the sole is.

However, when it comes to driver and one's longest fairway wood, distance with acceptable dispersion is really key as that tee shot sets you up for the rest of the hole. The fairway wood distance can also be very important on par 5s and longer par 4s, no matter what tee you chose to hit from. I've played from senior tees on a lot of courses, where some par 4s are unreachable in two for the typical senior.

I play GI irons and have not swayed from them since February 2020. They work well for me and I have no shame about using them. Can I play others? Probably, but not sure what benefit that would be for me unless someone put something in my hand that became the "perfect" irons for me. Play what works best for you, whether that be SGI, GI, Players, or whatever. If it produces the needed outcome, then go for it.

I know an older guy that plays a really old Niki driver and some no name irons. He smacks the you know what out of the ball with that Niki driver and most of the time is a line down the middle of the fairway. A perfect example of a club that works for him. If you handed him a brand new driver he would probably hand it back to you and say, no thanks this old driver works fine for me.

After the honeymoon period is over, the new equipment I bought doesn't really perform any differently than old clubs in the basement.

Also, I am better off carrying fewer clubs each time out. 5 or 6 clubs I hit consistently should get me on the green putting for pars or bogeys.

It's me and my swing that determine how the day goes...not the equipment.

Last edited:
Hybrid irons have been a game changer for those who just can't grasp hitting irons or don't have the time to put towards practicing. I was self conscious at first but that lasted about 2 rounds and lots and lots of GIR's.

Good stuff, someone always chimes in saying you can't buy a better game, I think you can. There's advancements in drivers, big headed 3 woods, hy-woods, hybrids and hybrid irons, max or draw versions of clubs, single length, great wedges (one day, I'll learn what all the grinds means). It's a good time to get into golf right now and the same for those already in it.
Driver advancements since the first "big" heads came out in the early 90's are astounding. (ala Wilson Whale, Big Bertha)
Those old big heads look like a fairway wood compared to todays drivers. I still hit my Titanium Wilson Whale once in a while, just for the heck of it. No trampoline effect, not forgiving, it demands it be hit perfectly, but it was a bomber back in the day.

Back