Things that are gone from golf, what do you miss?

Peter Alliss coverage of the British Opens.

One thing gone forever and never to be seen again is my ability to hit a driver over 250 yards. Very sad.....

I’ll go with water coolers and ball washers on the course. I’d be perfectly happy if bunker rakes stayed gone forever. For me, hitting out of an unraked bunker is much less frustrating than having to rake the bunker when I’m done.

One more for the loss of common courtesy and respect for others on the course and respect for the course and game. Golf is more than here's my money, I'll do pretty much whatever the F I want.

I miss the handshakes after the round. Fist bumps aren’t the same.

I don’t miss metal spikes, but I agree with the others. The sound of metal spikes on concrete does bring back some great memories of when I started playing.

Our course opened on Monday and this was a topic of conversation. We're hoping to get ball washers and rakes back this year.

We had ball washers and rakes at my course in Indiana yesterday

Metal spikes are what I miss. The local course I play at has rakes on the carts.
What happens if it's cart path only? Are you supposed to lug the rake with you to the other side of the fairway bunker you're in? :ROFLMAO::unsure:

The sound of a flushed drive - persimmon driver.
Drinking water provided on the course.
Free wooden tees in the pro shop.
Mostly I miss how I used to play 40 years ago!!!:)

• The satisfying "click" of a persimmon driver
  • metal spikes
  • 3 wheel golf cart death machines
  • ball washers (My local courses have all removed them during the pandemic).
  • nobody constantly pulling out a laser rangefinder

etiquette that applies to both on-course play as well as the driving range. for the most part the strangers with whom i get paired to play 18 holes are respectful, take care of the course, etc. on the range it's a damn free-for-all. no regard for the next person to hit. obnoxiously loud conversations laden with profanity. general endangerment of themselves and others. i understand that practice facilities probably don't turn much of a profit (if any), but i hate that it's so hard to find a decent place to work on my game.

Yeah, it has gotten way worse in the last year. I watched a guy finish his bucket, then walk out and pick up 10-15 balls from the range in front of us and walk back and hit them. He finished them, then did it again.... 1, you are basically stealing especially when this is a grass range where each swing is literally leaving a mark and 2 there are probably 20+ other people hitting golf balls in your general vicinity. 3 there were other people waiting for a spot to open on the range... and you are playing johnny golfseed and picking balls by hand...

And this sadly isn't the worst behavior at the range. As you mention, loud conversations (both with others and just being on the phone) talking about things that shouldn't be discussed in public.

Rakes in bunkers is what I miss most these days that and People fixing their Ball marks on the greens.
Actually now that I think about it I miss people being Courteous and taking care of the course instead of just abusing it without care.

Our course now has rakes! And ball washers! Etiquette, however, is missing amongst the covid golf the hoards. To be fair it was in low supply previously.

12 minute gaps for tee times.

etiquette that applies to both on-course play as well as the driving range. for the most part the strangers with whom i get paired to play 18 holes are respectful, take care of the course, etc. on the range it's a damn free-for-all. no regard for the next person to hit. obnoxiously loud conversations laden with profanity. general endangerment of themselves and others. i understand that practice facilities probably don't turn much of a profit (if any), but i hate that it's so hard to find a decent place to work on my game.
Agree. My local has people bringing very young children into the hitting area and not maintaining some control over them.
Got another guy, who almost every evening, brings his 5-6 year old son down and walks out on the range collecting a small bucket for him to hit. I've never seen them pay for balls one time.

Last edited:
Bqll washers, I took them for granted but never again.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Thing I miss the most is the sound of the ball hitting the bottom of the cup. Actual things that are absent on the course that I miss are water first and ball washers second.

Water kn the course & ball washers are the only thing they haven't brought back here yet, hopefully soon though.

That’s it mister! I’m not saying I won’t golf with you but due to Covid (and other concerns) you’re taking your own cart. Until mine gets locked up and I have to hitch a ride.

I miss checking in without a mask.
I miss being able to check-in without first counting how many people are inside.
I miss being able to walk on without an online reservation.
I miss being able to take a golf cart to the parking lot to pick up or put away my bag and assorted items.
I miss having someone unrelated in a cart with me so we can shoot the breeze.
I miss hearing the starter announce the next group on the tee...without it sounding muffled through a mask.
I miss the sound of the ball dropping to the bottom of the cup.
I miss ball washers.
I miss water coolers, especially on hot days.
I miss being able to give a fellow player an assist by picking up the ball they decided not to play when they took a mulligan.
I miss high fives.
I miss being able to choose whether or not to leave the flag in.
I even miss rakes in bunkers. I admit, I'm a neat freak.
I miss snacks and drinks from the cart girls.
I miss having an after round drink or meal with my buddies at the golf course grill.
I miss being able to shop in the pro shop.

I miss basic golf etiquette. RIP.

A course called the Harvester here in Iowa had goats in the grassy areas between holes.

~Rock
Yup, one of the courses up here at Brora has electric fences around the green to stop sheep walking onto them. Their droppings are classed as a hazard :LOL:

I miss checking in without a mask.
I miss being able to check-in without first counting how many people are inside.
I miss being able to walk on without an online reservation.
I miss being able to take a golf cart to the parking lot to pick up or put away my bag and assorted items.
I miss having someone unrelated in a cart with me so we can shoot the breeze.
I miss hearing the starter announce the next group on the tee...without it sounding muffled through a mask.
I miss the sound of the ball dropping to the bottom of the cup.
I miss ball washers.
I miss water coolers, especially on hot days.
I miss being able to give a fellow player an assist by picking up the ball they decided not to play when they took a mulligan.
I miss high fives.
I miss being able to choose whether or not to leave the flag in.
I even miss rakes in bunkers. I admit, I'm a neat freak.
I miss snacks and drinks from the cart girls.
I miss having an after round drink or meal with my buddies at the golf course grill.
I miss being able to shop in the pro shop.
Dang, 😟

We can do all those things now. And some never went away.

I miss paying $560 a year for unlimited golf(under age 30) at an immaculately kept private course. Heck, I miss paying the $1800 per year for over age 30 unlimited golf ! Those were the days!

I miss the sound of metal spikes on a cart path.

Back