Think knock-offs aren't a problem?

Pinged

In Search of Bagger Vance
Reaction score
Handicap
Came across this on another forum which shall remain nameless. I was pretty amazed/appalled/shocked at what's offered and how cheap it is. Take a look around and be amazed at what anyone can order. Kinda makes you think twice before buying ANYthing off Ebay these days!

http://picasaweb.google.com/lucy51trade

They are more of a problem than most people know.

However if it works like it is, it doesnt matter right?

True enough, and I don't think Nike fakes are as common as TM and Callaway. I still have yet to see a fake dymo.

i think i might have gotten a fake callaway x hybrid. it was only like 40 but nobody bid on it. maybe they are smarter than me

Thats why you have to be careful when buying on Ebay and only buy from reputable sellers. If a listing seems too good to be true, it probably is.

Mine was just a bid right from the getgo, I got the Dymo for $150, feedback was %99.9

I may have mentioned this before but my boss got a great deal on a Cleveland Hi-Bore a few years ago and he hit a few times and didn't like it. He took it to a golf store to trade it in and the young guy at the store spotted it as a fake. It was an amazing copy and only could be spotted holding them side by side. It was the small details like the color of the yellow in the paintfill and a few other things that gave it away. How this young man picked up on it still amazes me.

Boss ended up getting in touch with Cleveland and sending them the club. They verified it as a fake and my boss gave them the info on the seller. When he told them who it was he said there was a long pause, then the rep said, "really... we just finished a lawsuit with him!". Cleveland ended up sending my boss a brand new driver and kept the fake as evidence for thier next trial.

Mine was just a bid right from the getgo, I got the Dymo for $150, feedback was %99.9

I'm sure you are fine.

So what's the right term here?

• I always considered knock-offs to be clubs that look similar, but not exactly like one of the big name clubs, but have a name that you couldn't confuse with the original.
  • I considered clones to be clubs that looked very similar to the brand name clubs, with names that are close to but not the same as the original (Big Brother or Big Bubba are two I remember, for example).
  • Finally I consider counterfeit clubs to be clubs that look exactly the same to most people, with the exact same name and markings.

The only ones I have a problem with are what i call counterfeit.

So what's the right term here?

• I always considered knock-offs to be clubs that look similar, but not exactly like one of the big name clubs, but have a name that you couldn't confuse with the original.
  • I considered clones to be clubs that looked very similar to the brand name clubs, with names that are close to but not the same as the original (Big Brother or Big Bubba are two I remember, for example).
  • Finally I consider counterfeit clubs to be clubs that look exactly the same to most people, with the exact same name and markings.

The only ones I have a problem with are what i call counterfeit.
I agree with you smalls, I didn't look at the link just joined in the conversation and assumed it was about counterfeit clubs

There's definitely two different markets at work there Smallie.

Some folks make "Clones" which are copies, and they say so. I'm not sure how the legal folks view this. Pinemeadow has built quite a business (and a well reviewed one) around this market: http://www.pinemeadowgolf.com/

Forgeries are passed off as the real deal. There is no question that it is highly illegal.

As long as the seller has a feedback score of 1,000 or more and their positive rating is 99% or higher, you should be fine.
Ive dealt with 3Balls, Global Golf and Pro Shop Warehouse and havent had any problems.

Yeah- I used the wrong term. Counterfeit is the right terminology. It's what I SHOULD have said.

I've heard some people say that since so many clubheads are now manufactured in China, it's quite likely that some of these clubs come off the very same assembly line, made in exactly the same way.

They ship the first 30,000 pieces to Callaway or Taylormade or Ping, and then just run another 50,000 pieces for their Chinese friends to sell. At the very LEAST- some of the Chinese manufacturers are obviously taking the engineering drawings and CAD/CAM programs and selling them out the backdoor to friends and relatives who own other non-official shops where the counterfeits are made.

It's easy enough to use a laser-driven device to copy an imported REAL US club- but it's even EASIER when the US company HANDS you the software and drawings.

Kinda makes me want to stick with places like TGW, GG, etc.

On the other hand, as someone already said, if it's made in the same plant, on the same line, from the same drawings and same materials- what difference does it make?!?!?!

Last edited:
Thats why I wont buy anything but forged Japanese irons. At least with those I know they are forged in Japan and there isnt some Chinese company copying them and selling them off as authentic Mizuno irons.
Thats one of my problems with so much stuff being made in China nowdays. There are really no copyright laws in China, so a company can copy a design and there is really nothing that can be done about it.
As to whether or not it really matters, I guess thats a matter of personal opinion. IMO, it does matter because I respect the companies whose products are in my bag and I like supporting them, but Im sure not everyone feels that way.

Back