Thoughts on C-Tapers

Do you think that in Smithfaced's situation, soft stepping the C-Taper X (to match weighting) would improve on that while gaining closer to what the S+ characteristics are?

I went from playing x-100's in my razr fit's to the KBS c-taper in the x-flex and found the C-tapers had about the same launch with reduced spin and a much tighter dispersion than the DG's. If you were to go with the S+ in the C-tapers you'd probably experience a bit of a higher launch with a reduced spin. The feel isn't quite as nice as the x100's, but the added control and dispersion more than makes up for that!

The Feel is what i like about the c-tapers smoother than my x1

Do you think that in Smithfaced's situation, soft stepping the C-Taper X (to match weighting) would improve on that while gaining closer to what the S+ characteristics are?
Hi. I don't believe so. I am one who completely separates swing weight from total weight of a shaft. They for me are an independent fitting criteria.
Swing weight causes a different swing dynamic than does total weight.
Total club weight has different effects on launch monitor data than swing weight does. Without a monitor, Ball flight will tell you the difference if you know how to read ball flight and what the club face and everything else, is doing at impact to cause a particular ball flight.
A very good ball striker will compensate for these differences very quickly.
So, while 2 swing weight differences and 10 grams of total weight seem insignificant, to some one who feels this, it is important.
So Smithfaced is one who may very well feel the difference. He doesn't recognize what he feels, But he sees the difference.

I approach fittings, as in medicine. Symptoms, testing, diagnosis, cure.

yeah I completely forgot about that when I made my post. Putting the c-tapers in did change my swingweight of my irons because of the higher balance point, but I actually prefer the way they feel now over the x100's. I've since matched every club in my bag to a D-2, with the exception of my 56 and 62 which stayed at D5, and found my consistency over the last few weeks of the year for me was at its best. Too bad the snow has to fly up here, gives me a positive outlook for 2014 though.

I've been on a c-taper journey the last month or so. Started with s+ c-taper shafts soft stepped twice to get the weight and frequency close to the s300 I was gaming in my 712AP2s. Results were terrible. Could not feel the shafts loading at all. Found myself swinging harder and harder to a point I finally gave up. Switched to the R+ flex and all is well again. Probably could of avoided some of the pain with a fitting but the last fitting session quote was well over 5k for a "different" set of clubs (my AP2s were all of 3 month old). Though I did end up buying the best driver I've ever owned. Being I am a do-it-yourself kind of guy I decided on the c-tapers based on the great reviews here and a few other forums. Not quit the feel of the Matrix Ozik programs but I like the trajectory and spin. Dispersion looks good but still need to tighten things up a bit more with a couple of range sessions and some lead tape. Check the pics just learned to reshaft reading and YouTube.
87abed8137941c80aff6632ef0f46024_zps9d6447fe.jpg
[/IMG]
11229b8ed681592b222a18e131b1c9d1_zps706a4bce.jpg
[/IMG]
bb64844072d0745fd25d39d650079243_zps98d13cab.jpg
[/IMG]

Those AP2's look sick, very nicely done, the shaft and ferrule combo look vaguely familiar lol, great minds think alike i guess?
IMG_1124.jpg

After Hitting my friends again this time with long Irons not just short irons i think i will stick with the x1 for a while there was a reduction in spin but the trajectory was higher and the feed back on mishits was not the same they did feel smooth in the short irons the long irons did not feel as responsive. I might look at the Tour V when the come out

Back