Thoughts on this sign

No problem with the sign. If I play early and the mowers are out, I always consider that they have the right of way. I will always find something to do while they are completing the green or fairway I'm about to play. The mowers have a job to do, I do not want to hinder their progress at all.

Personally, if I saw the sign of the golf course, if I played and saw it, I would not be playing at the golf course. It is rather passive aggressive.
View attachment 9191808

Is it passive aggressive? Seems pretty clear in its message. I guess they've had issues with folks not being courteous to the grounds crew...?

@wubears71 it's just the last line of the sign "They Mow, You Wait" that rubs you the wrong way, correct?

While they were running out of room, they should have said "Please Wait While They Finish" or something similar.
Correct. It is not needed and could have been more polite.

That sign is fine .

No issues. Grass gotta get cut. 5 minutes every hole,? (Taking it to the extreme) that’s 90 minutes of cuttus interruptus.

Relax, I said CUTTUS….

I don't have an issue with it, I always pause for the grounds workers and usually they wave you through, sometimes in some risky spots.

Zero issues with the sign or the wording. Guaranteed it’s there because of previous incidents. And also guaranteed that it’s meant for people who see those signs and think “oh that doesn’t apply to ME, of course.”

Depends on the course. Expensive private club? Its out of line. Public courses, it could be worded better but the message is fine. Last week I think I ran into mowers on the first nine holes. It was not a problem. One guy pulled over, put the pin in and waited. We chatted, it was cool and he handed me a few balls he found. Good exchange.

I love that sign. I'd also institute a $5 charge for whining, also with a sign.

5-charge-for-whining_u-L-EZ4OC0.jpg

As it should be. Everyone wants a perfect golf course but don't want to be inconvenienced by the actual maintenance.

They only made the sign because there was a least one 💩head that had to do something stupid.

Yep. That sign was definitely ordered during a time of anger/frustration.

You need to respect the employees of a club. Waiting for them to get clear of your shot is simple common courtesy. Someone obviously didn't have it. Hence the sign.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

I think it’s great that they communicate that expectation very clearly. More courses should probably do the same.

Well then the course marshals can't complain about not keeping up with the group in front.

no problem with it.

some of the worker i see out on the course a fearless though. Should be wearing some sort of head protection. 😬
Some of ours wear the hardshell pith-helmet type things, others don't wear any head protection. I often think to myself that they're either awfully brave or they trust me a lot more than I do!

That sign doesn't rustle my jimmies at all. It's straight to the point and there's obviously a reason for it. It certainly wouldn't make me not want to play the course.

I'm fine with the sign, and I do agree with it. Don't hit into mowers.

I guess I'm fine with it. However, I'm pretty big into hear what I'm saying not what I said - sometimes people have the right message and use the wrong words.

Anyone who thinks a wording like "They mow, you wait" is passive-aggressive or insulting would be reduced to tears of despair and frustration within minutes by the routine banter within most of the foursomes I play golf with. Good grief, that's gotta be the most thin-skinned, looking-for-a-reason-to-get-butthurt take I've seen in a long time. Wow.

Agree sign could be worded different. But honestly with " Entitlement" running rampant (I know you paid your taxes,get out of left lane) it needs to be voiced.

That's standard practice, and the price you pay for playing when they are mowing.

Let them get the course ready, you can wait a minute or 2 for your next shot.

Behind every sign is a story. I guess this may help newer golfers that don’t necessarily know to wait, in a passive aggressive way.

I don't see why they couldn't have worded it differently....like "Please provide right of way to mowers, and allow them to finish before playing your shot"

I don't really have an issue with it, but as mentioned it seems a little aggro.

I agree with the sentiment, but the wording is a bit rude. At one time "please" and "thank you" were the rule, and not the exception.

For example, I was at the range yesterday (we have the use of unlimited golf balls), and a guy walked up to me and pointed to my bucket but didn't say anything. I said, "Yes?" He replied, "I need balls." (yeah, don't go there, lol). I said, "Help yourself." He grabbed the bucket, walked away and didn't say anything else.

It has nothing to do with being "sensitive" or any of that PC BS, but a "thank you" wouldn't have been remiss. Politeness is an indication of respect towards others, and is tied to good manners and etiquette.

I don't mind the sign. I'm playing a game and they're doing their jobs. Roles reversed, I certainly wouldn't want to wait around for someone to finish playing while I was trying to get my work done.

Back