THP Regional Rivalry - DC/MD/VA vs Carolinas Sponsored By True Temper

c62e789c088714d9366c7b35d72eaa1f.jpg

9f5f4124f59e6aa32ca899409da5c4a6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I have had a lot catching up to do. Been real busy with work, kids and blah blah blah. Lots of good stuff on here. Finally got a round in yesterday. First round since Jan 9th. Not too shabby. Still got to work on the scrambling. Hopefully some nice weather will be in store and I can get prepared for some regional rivalry!

I'm pumped as well about the event in general! Going to try and get to the range for a few hours in the next few days. Chipping and putting in the basement can only take me so far...

DMV Hopefuls, it's been a little over a month since I sent out the questions. How did you make out with moving towards achieving your goals? Weather is not a road block, it's only an obstacle. If your hungry enough you can and will find a way to feast.

I've done pretty welll. I said originally I was going to do something everyday for at least 10 to 15 minutes to help me with my game. I think I have held true to that, although I might need to do more action and less "research" HA

But in truth, I have done more stretching and a bit more working out than I had previously. Last week provided the chance to get some good on course work in, this week, I'm back to working on things inside. Definitely contemplating taking a lesson in the next week to make sure I'm on the right track.

>> DMV Hopefuls, it's been a little over a month since I sent out the questions. How did you make out with moving towards achieving your goals? Weather is not a road block, it's only an obstacle. If your hungry enough you can and will find a way to feast. <<

I continued to play and practice right up to the major blizzard. I also use a full-length mirror to work on posture, alignment and developing muscle memory. Crossing fingers that I can sneak out from my current engagement in Richmond to play RNK, although snow/rain forecast for next week already. My main course in PA won't be playable for awhile. On the positive side I went boarding/skiing last weekend and didn't injure myself, so I've got that going for me as well.

Bob (Diveguy)

DMV Hopefuls, it's been a little over a month since I sent out the questions. How did you make out with moving towards achieving your goals? Weather is not a road block, it's only an obstacle. If your hungry enough you can and will find a way to feast.

Feasting on indoor putting and swing drills (mainly working on takeaway and holding spine angle). Also working on core strength and flexibility. Have had some occasional range work and full swings on the sims at GolfSmith. Anything/anywhere to keep loose and from forgetting how to play this game.

I am on track. I either putt or do mirror work everyday at the house. I took advantage of the good weather tues to hit the range and work on the swing stuff I've been doing at home. The result is saw on tues were acceptable for not having swing a club in a few weeks,

I have been making steady progress. The workout portion is probably where the most progress has been made. My flexibility and strength have improved significantly. The chipping and putting (indoors) is better in terms of confidence and is still getting better with repetition but again until I can hit real shots under real conditions, I won't know for sure. Hit balls at the heated range near work (open 365 days / year - no matter what) until the snow fell which was helping with my timing and tempo. Can't see where they land now but contact feels good!!

If playing alt shot and an approach shot on par 4 and your partner doesn't have the length to reach the green in reg do you ask your partner to get as close as possible even if it leads and "awkward" distance (20,30,40yds, etc) or do you ask them to give you a specific distance?

similar situation on par 5, do you have your partner be aggressive or leave you a number?

does it depend on how your partner has been hitting the ball?

i would base mine off my partners playing but my tendency would be to ask for a specific yardage.

Would really depend on the match situation. But, on the par 4 if he can get it inside 30 yards I feel good, if not put it at a yardage. On the other hand, on a par 5 (I'm assuming it's a second shot) I want a yardage (115 to 85 works). Why the difference? How many times has trying to kill a second shot on a par 5 lead to a big number? Of course it is still situational, but that is how I would play those.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If playing alt shot and an approach shot on par 4 and your partner doesn't have the length to reach the green in reg do you ask your partner to get as close as possible even if it leads and "awkward" distance (20,30,40yds, etc) or do you ask them to give you a specific distance?

similar situation on par 5, do you have your partner be aggressive or leave you a number?

does it depend on how your partner has been hitting the ball?

i would base mine off my partners playing but my tendency would be to ask for a specific yardage.

Most of the THP buds with whom I have enjoyed local outings know that my problem is a lack of distance. At these outings, I have expressed my apprehensions entering events because of it. To the person, I have been told not to be concerned because the course setup has always been such that it will be reasonable for all. Given such a course setup, with a long ball partner, may I quote our friends from down under--"No worries, Mate".

I have been practicing at school hitting foam balls, along with real ones outside. I have been able to still go to the range and played 3 times this year with another round coming Sunday. By submitting a video for Freddie to look at of my swing and working on what he has told me to, I feel that my swing is getting better. I am hitting the ball better than before and feel good about my swing. There are still more that I am trying to work out but I fully believe that I am moving in the right direction. I expect to have my best golf season this year if things keep up.

I have done pretty well. Have had to deal with some trying circumstances - very short handed at work, so I am dropping stuff off at customers before I open my store, staying late, etc. But I have plowed ( no pun intended! ) through that. Getting to the driving range once, sometimes twice a week, at night, sometimes with temps in the 20's, and practicing my putting stroke at least 4 times a week. I have even played quite a bit until snowpocalypse. One of the more important things I have done is work on some physical things that had been an issue. Really looking forward to taking my lesson and getting some more distance with my driver.

"Every challenge to a goal creates an opportunity - welcome it!"

For the most part. Putting and chipping is really on. Lots of work on tempo and posture which is really the root of my issues. Snow messed up my gap testing but I have time for that. The big question mark is my hybrid game. It is either on or it is way off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Been researching and working at the range and I think I may have locked down one of my bigger flaws. I get too far inside on my takeaway which causes all kinds of plane problems. If I can keep it outside (what feels like outside) I get much better contact. Now just trying to groove that. And get my touch back, putter feels like a foreign object lately.

Been working on the putting stroke in the basement, stretching exercises & working out with the better half. Definitely not where I want to be yet but I am confident that I will be there eventually. Even if I don't make the weight goal, I know that my game will be where I want it come RR time. Once the weather breaks, I am putting in some serious time practicing, on the range, putting green, working the short game & playing. (course is right on the way home - 10 min from the house). The wife is already aware of my goals and what I plan on doing ... so she is prepared for me to not be home until dark on most days. And the clubs are never going to leave the back of the truck!

One step closer to Monday. I feel some excitement in the air.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I am anxiously waiting for Monday to roll around as well!

Darn, why to I keep hearing the Mamas and the Papas in my head, something about Monday, Monday.

Oh, Monday morning you gave me no warning
of what was to be
Oh Monday, Monday
How could you leave and not take me

My goals for January - March was to lose weight, exercise key areas of my body related to the golf swing, practice chipping and putting and get out to the range a few times a week. I've lost 2 pounds on my way to a targeted 30lbs, I now getup at 4AM (yeah, 4AM) to workout before heading into work and I practice chipping and putting late at night in my basement. I've only been to the range/putting surface once but plan to ramp that up as the weather improves. Long range goals include joining a league at some course called Compass Pointe ;), getting more rounds under my belt and getting some more lessons with Don @ Nighthawk to fine tune my swing into the fairway splitting, iron soaring, putting machine that it really is :D So, I'm on my way to meeting my goals. Looking forward to Monday!

One step closer to Monday. I feel some excitement in the air.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Everyone loves Mondays, well they do on THP anyways.

Match is all square heading into 18 and you have been hitting the ball good but a few swings got away from you during the round. Your opponent tees off first and hits a wayward shot that will leave a tough recovery shot. Do you stick with the club you brought to the the or do you go back for a club and play a less aggressive shot?

i am sticking with whatever I chose to play when I got out if the cart.

Back