THP Regional Rivalry - DC/MD/VA vs Carolinas Sponsored By True Temper

I play match play a lot during the year with a group of guys that got me started and play together every sat. It's two man teams best ball $10 a match with capability to press whenever a team gets down 2 holes only time a team can't press is on 17.

the group is pretty close in hdcps index ranging from mid 9 to 17ish but those two can shoot low 80 anytime they just play inconsistent and will run a streak of bad rounds and the play 1-3 times a week so hdcp fluctuate quickly.

i enjoy playing match play and having something on the line. It's even better when a format change happens with a shamble or alt shot or pinehurst. I excited too see the formats for this event

I like match play type events, it's easier to put the blow up hole behind you. I played in a shamble for the first time last year at a THP event and really enjoyed that, figure you have 2 chances at a good tee shot.

So one thing that I have in my favor, and I only mean that from an experience standpoint, not an ability standpoint, is that I've got a lot of tournament experience in a lot of different formats. Going back 10 to 15 years ago, that's pretty much all I played. Match Play, Four Ball, some alternate shot thrown in. And that's not counting about a half a dozen charity scrambles each year. While those are "team" events, I don't really consider them tournaments, due to the nature of them.

So I won't be intimated by any format. I'll just need to put in the work between now and July, and hope I get lucky during the selection process.

So reading the Ohio vs. Michigan THPRegional Rivalry thread, there was a lot of talk the last couple pages about opening tee shots at a THP Event.

For those of you that have an experienced a THP event, recount your first tee shot ever at a THP event. If you haven't been in a THP Event, what will you do to control your nerves, trust me there will be nerves.

For me: My first THP event was the Bridgestone Championship in 2014 at PGA National. Due to some some major havoc at Chicago, OHare airport my partner and MikeG's partner did not make the event. So last minute scrambling put JB and Hawk in the field. And paired Mike and I in the same group.

We went off as the first group on Saturday morning, whch meant 36 other THP'ers were standing around the Tee Box watching. Most of these guys I had not met yet. I was nervous as hell, I'm not afraid to admit. JB and Hawk both put nice shots out in the fairway, I was hitting next. That made the pressure even worst. Somehow I manged to get the club on the ball and airborne!! Victory.

It ended up decently, about 225 to 230 yards in the left center of the fairway. When we looked at the balls, I saw I was about 3 yards ahead of Hawk. I said, well I outdrove Hawk, so if nothing else goes good that happened.

To which JB quickly replied, out-driving Hawk is setting the bar pretty low...LOL

But getting in the fairway in front of that many people, definitely helped calm my nerves the rest of the round.

My first THP Event was #StaffProto and I really was not nervous for the first tee ball. I was more excited.

I guess it is easier to say that in hindsight, but I do remember booming my first ever drive at a THP event. It really did help ease off some of the edge that I had.

Haven't played in a THP competition, only the Bridgestone ball / driver introduction in Florida. JB had set it up that you if your opening tee shot landed in the fairway you got put on the list to be in drawing for an unreal driver (which I didn't win) but I put the ball in the fairway. I was nervous but that's what I like best about competition, the nerves!!!

I've had a bunch of tee shots at unofficial events and they were fun with no pressure, the Tee shot at The Morgan Cup singles was daunting lol, my insides were shaking a bit and I couldn't think clearly, one of the strangest things I've experienced golfing. if I had the money I'd give a million bucks for that feeling again though, to try and gain control of it mentally would be an accomplishment as big as the match I'm in.

My first official event was at Hilton Head I think and there really weren't any there.

Last edited:
Nice first drive! I think mine (after hitting some nice straight range balls) was a duck-hook left into some trees and crap at LiiTA. lol

My first THP Event was #StaffProto and I really was not nervous for the first tee ball. I was more excited.

I guess it is easier to say that in hindsight, but I do remember booming my first ever drive at a THP event. It really did help ease off some of the edge that I had.

You hit a pretty good poke. Certainly better than my three off the tee, that's for sure.

Mine was a hybrid to the right middle of the fairway at the Hilton Head Invitational don't remember how far it was but it went a good bit.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

My first THP event was Legacy and I had never played the front 9 at True Blue before so seeing the hole was new to me. I will not say there were not some nerves but I was not all that nervous. I was in the last group and was the last person to tee off so it was just my group and the captains there. The one year I was able to play college golf really helped me in terms of not being nervous on the tee. As our 5th I went off first every time and all the other teams would come to the tee box to watch their guy tee off and say their last words of encouragement. Not sound arrogant or anything because I am not trying to, but from playing college sports, and on multiple high end baseball showcase teams I learned how to handle being nervous in front of people. Now handling frustration is something that I continue to work on.

I don't worry about the competition on the opening tee shot. I figure after the opponent sees me swing a couple of times they will be so overconfident that they have no chance to win!!! Haha

First THP Event was the invitational at True Blue in 2012. Went off a little late IIRC, so not too bad but definitely still nervous. Think I managed to hit the fairway on that one. Like one of three that day. :D

Three THP events with only one being a competition.

Bridgestone U - teed off in the middle of the of the pack and after hearing off the talk of THP first tee stuff I will admit that it was the most nervous I felt over any tee shot in my life. Hit it down the middle of the fairway with a baby draw. Second day with a chance at winning driver on the line I hooked one left with Troyefl in the same area.

LIITA - was on of the first groups and it was a short par 4 so played utility iron off the tee and hit a solid tee shot in the fairway. I think I was more nervous on the second day on the contest hole.

Pitt Invitational - teed off second after my partner hooked one out of play, no nerves and piped one down the fairway.

My first tee shot was at the Savannah Invitational last summer. My group was the first one off and I teed off 2nd. I was laughing at myself because my hands were shaking a little while I was teeing the ball up, but I hit one down the middle, I don't remember how far but we ended up using my drive.

The only bad tee shot ( and only time I missed the 1st fairway in a THP event ) was last year at Stonewall - I blame Ron lol. I can honestly say I wasn't nervous on any of those shots. Now, it may very well be different in a Grandaddy type event - hopefully I'll find out one day! I remember shooting free throws in pressure situations when I played basketball - while it's nerve racking and can be surreal - is there really any better feeling? I always tell the kids I coach to acknowledge the nerves - and enjoy them. There is no guarantee you will ever experience them again.

The only bad tee shot ( and only time I missed the 1st fairway in a THP event ) was last year at Stonewall - I blame Ron lol. I can honestly say I wasn't nervous on any of those shots. Now, it may very well be different in a Grandaddy type event - hopefully I'll find out one day! I remember shooting free throws in pressure situations when I played basketball - while it's nerve racking and can be surreal - is there really any better feeling? I always tell the kids I coach to acknowledge the nerves - and enjoy them. There is no guarantee you will ever experience them again.
I think we all missed the fairway actually

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

My first ever THP shot was at the Bridgestone Invitational at Hilton Head two years ago. I had been a member for only a couple months and really didn't know anyone. My group was CJ (Michigan Slice), CplJohnSt (Barry) and my partner RedSoxFan (Scott). I sliced my first drive, but it was still playable. Didn't play exceptionally well that day, and I feel bad for Scott having to be paired with me. Had fun though. I did play the following day with Ron and he saw me score my first birdie on a chip in on a par 3.

Next THP event was LIITA and JB, MikeDean, and Coers watched me seriously flirt with 100 for the first time ... though I was again horribly inconsistent off the tee that day.

Third THP event was Savannah and I believe I hit a FIR. Not long, but playable, and I'm 100% sure we went with Rambler's drive (guy is seriously long and accurate).

Fourth event was #StaffProto. On the day we took the C200's out, my first drive was a slice over the property fence at The Highlands and landed on the road. I remember JB wincing at that shot (as was I). That was a rough day off the tee as well.

So yeah, my tee game has always sucked, which is why I'm seriously working on it now.

Never having the opportunity to play in a THP event, if one were to ask me how will I prepare for that first tee shot, my answer would be--Depends

2014 Bridgestone Championship - long down the right side of the fairway. No matter how much pressure or how big the situation, it's just golf...

Never having the opportunity to play in a THP event, if one were to ask me how will I prepare for that first tee shot, my answer would be--Depends

Larry, you will be where you always are, right down the middle.

And it will be the other 3 in your foursome that will need the Depends... laughing at all your great stories, jokes and aw shucks wisdom.

#yougotthis

So I struggle with keeping up with formats because it seems like everything has like 5 names and I haven't experienced much of it lol. I've played stroke/match play. modified alternate shot (use best tee ball then alternate), 2 man and 4 man best ball, super ball or captains choice (choosing the best shot at every stroke). I think some people call that scramble maybe?
Not sure what shamble is. I like most formats, especially super ball. I played a tournament where 6 holes were alternate shot, 6 were best ball and last 6 were super ball. 2 man 2 day tournament aggregate score. That was fun

First group off at the Atlantic City International which was my first THP event and thanks to TheChosen1 we won that event. Tee shot was a blocked 3 hybrid left but playable.

Larry, you will be where you always are, right down the middle.

And it will be the other 3 in your foursome that will need the Depends... laughing at all your great stories, jokes and aw shucks wisdom.

#yougotthis

Thanks for your encouragement. But we've only played in individual outings, a team tournament is a whole different animal. Like I said, in that setting, I'm like a long tail cat in a room full of rocking chairs. You have just seen the hillbilly hound dog.

First THP event was Bridgestone U and I pulled my drive and was in the crap behind some trees. Was beyond nervous for that shot

Back