Tiger Woods says "Thanks, but No Thanks" to NBC

Seems odd to ask the guy who is essentially functioning on 1 leg right now to come back and talk about winning the US Open on essentially 1 leg.

No need for the distraction of it and I've not seen him offer much of insightful analysis on things in his brief tv opportunities before to be worth of extended time on air

Smart move. I wouldn’t if I were him either.

Boy if we are setting the bar at hoping he can be as good as Faldo in the booth, we might as well mute the TV.

Selfishly, I'd love that, but not traveling and focusing on his recovery is for the best IMO. I wonder if it would be a distraction at times if people kept talking about his recovery and accident. I think Tiger made the right call.

I think a lot of people would tune in just because it's him, and would be ecstatic if he just sat there and read the dictionary. With that said, I don't think he adds anything of value to golf telecasts other than the fanboi factor.

Tiger,

social skills.gif

It would be cool, but the media would make it a bigger story than the tournament and distract from other players.

I'm not sure what he has to gain from it either.

Exactly my thoughts. Well put sir!

glad he did not do it......

Tiger has plenty more to worry about right now. I'm glad he's taking time away.

Here's an idea: while listening to the SiriusXM broadcast they had current players describing the holes at Torrey. Why not have Tiger provide some personal insight on two or three of his favourite holes? No travel required, and no personal secrets divulged, etc. Just a "you want to try and stay as far right as you can off the tee, and whatever you do don't miss the green right as you'll never get up and down" etc.

I don't always understand the desire to have highly-skilled athletes in positions that are "other" than their natural element. The best athletes in the world are good at their sport; they are not necessarily a good coach, or a good broadcaster, etc. Just enjoy their talents and let them be IMO.

Back